Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, February 15, 2021

Visiting Cows Again

 8:45 I was outside walking up and down the lane.
It was 22 degrees, a bit breezy at times, with just the slightest bit
of freezing drizzle which made the snow crunchy.

An uneventful walk but beautiful and peaceful in the snow.

I knitted another hat and this time I liked the pattern but the hat
 was way too small - a baby hat.

So now I'm knitting hat number 3.
Using the same pattern but on larger needles and adding more rows. 
Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

I'm knitting using my Mom's knitting needles.
She kept them in this case.

Some of her needles must be at least 70 years old.
As I knit I can't help but think of all the things that she knitted
using these needles.  Many of the things she made for me.
So glad I have these.

The cows decided to pay us a visit again this afternoon.
This time in the front and one of them looked like she would
come right up the front steps onto the porch.
Didn't call Farmer Eugene this time because he said they would
eventually go back home on their own.
He was right.
They walked around for a while and then made their way back home.

We saw the sun for a total of 4 minutes this afternoon.
Then back to clouds.
Supposed to have freezing rain during the night.

That's all I've for today.
A happy day to you.
Thanks for stopping by.
👩🏻‍🦳 happyone ❤️

Comment Replies:
Anni and Bill - I used to feel the same way about church that you do, but after finding the church we go to I can't even imagine NOT being part of it and the ministries.  Not being able to go to church in person (we go on FB) is the thing I miss most about this pandemic.  My reasons for going to church you can find HERE if you're interested.

19 comments:

Tom said...

...I have a bunch of deer now and then in the yard, but cows never!

Leslie said...

wow! I love that you have your mom's old needles.
I also love the cows!!! : )

Rose said...

It is wonderful that you have your mom's knitting needles.

How fun that the cows come visiting...good thing there is nothing there for them to disturb.

Tina said...

I like both the hats! I wish I knew how to knit or crochet. The cows!! Who can’t love them. I was reading “On the Banks of Plum Creek” to Luke. Pete the ox escaped and he bogged down into the roof of their dugout! Farmer Eugene must not have to worry about such things. The beautiful eyes of cattle. Sunshine! Where is it?! It is missing from these Southern parts as well. Rain, clouds and this afternoon a nasty fog rolled in. We are struggling here with these dreary days! Happy Monday!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I like the color of the baby hat. I made some baby hats some years back and they were donated to a NICU for Preemies. Wow, the cows came up really close to your home today. They must feel like it is a nice, friendly place to visit. See you again tomorrow. :-)

Ruth Hiebert said...

This hat is very cute. I like the bright color.

Debi said...

I love your mom's needle case. I have my mom's knitting needles and crochet hooks and I think of her every time I use them. We don't have any visiting cows but we have lots of rabbits running around.

Happy@Home said...

The hat may be tiny, but it is such a pretty color. I'm sure there is a little head in your area that would welcome it with all the snow you are receiving.
How wonderful to have your mom's knitting needle collection. It looks like you were both talented in that area.
I got a kick out of your recent visitors. I can't imagine seeing something like that show up at my door.

Unknown said...

How funny those cows roaming around your yard. Silly cows. Laughed about you seeing the sun for a total of 4 minutes. It's freezing and we're getting another round of snow early in the morning. So excited.

Hill Top Post said...

We would be so upset if our cattle were in someone's yard! The baby's knitted hat is perfect! Now to find a baby for it! Ha! My walking streak is broken. The weather here was just too bad all day. I walked the previous day when the temp was 14 and I didn't feel well afterward.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Cold cows in the snow.

God bless.

William Kendall said...

The cows are a neat sight.

Bill said...

The visiting cows drop by to say hello then go home on their own. That is incredible and very nice of them to stop by and check on you.

I guess that I haven't found the right church yet but I am always searching. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts and have a great day.

ellen b. said...

What a treasure those needles and case of your mothers are. She passed on the skill to you which is nice. My mother never knitted. She sewed a lot and we always had a new dress for Easter and Christmas. That is so funny to have cows come and visit.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the colour of the knitted hat.

I think it's brilliant that you are knitting using your Mom's knitting needles. That looks a very nice case, so colourful.

All the best Jan

Granny Marigold said...

I think I'd be quite shocked if I looked out my window and saw cows. Once you have flowers out there they might not be as welcome.

Michelle said...

I have had cows in my yard before and even my neighbor's horse and donkey (friends forever) that surprised me at the mailbox one morning. Stay safe and warm!

The Furry Gnome said...

Love those cows in your front yard!

Jeanette said...

Those knitting needles and the case are awesome! What a nice treasure to have from your mom! Did she make the case for them too? Too funny about the cows in your front yard!