Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, February 18, 2021

New Ice Grippers

Another morning, more snow!!
Tractor is mighty handy now that Ken put the chains on it.
I don't have to shovel the driveway unless I want to.
Usually like shoveling but getting a bit tired of it now.
In the morning he cleared out our driveway, top and bottom
in just one hour.


 My Yak Trax (on right) are staring to wear out and one of the wires have come off.
Ordered another kind called Limm Traction Cleats (on left).
The new ones came in the mail yesterday but they were too big
for my boots so I put them on Ken's boots and ordered two more
for my boots and high top walking shoes. 
The Limm ones have cleats on the bottom that dig into the snow and ice.

Just before lunch we drove down to the hardware store in town
and happy to say that the salt came in and we got 4 bags of it.

After lunch Ken went out on the tractor again to work on getting
the driveway to the cabin cleared enough so David and Liz can
get their Jeep up it. (they left on a little trip for a couple of days)

I left about an hour after Ken to walk up to the cabin to see 
how he was getting on.
Leaving our driveway I spotted the cows just leaving the farm again.
I walked up to them and herded them back home.
As you can see from the picture you can no longer see the
cattle guard across the road - the snow and ice have covered it up
and now the cows can just walk out.

When I got up to the cabin I saw that Ken was having a bit of
trouble clearing the drive.
Too much ice underneath the snow and too hilly.
Walked down the drive and took a picture of Ken on the tractor.
Was a bit scary at times - I thought he was going to slide off the
edge of the drive into the woods, but he made it down safely.

He then turned for the house and I decided to walk up the lane.

Didn't go to the end though because it was very slippery.
Underneath the snow in places was a sheet of ice and not knowing
exactly where made walking treacherous.

When I got back home we had a cup of tea and then I knitted awhile
and read till suppertime.

Thanks for stopping by.
A happy day to you.
๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿป‍๐Ÿฆณ happyone ❤️

Comment Replies:
Rose - My Ott light is a floor lamp and you can bend it right over what you're working on.  I love it.  It's just like working in daylight.



16 comments:

Rose said...

Thanks for the reply about the light...

The cows are trying to be good neighbors...they are coming to check on you. LOL....I do think it funny that they head to your house. Almost as if they are lonely or something.

I am glad Ken made back home with no accident...

Tom said...

...I have a skid loader that I kept when I sold my nursery and I've had fun clearing my drive. It's like being a big kid on his toy! Take care and watch for the ice.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like you and Ken both worked hard in the snow today. I have some YakTrax but usually just wear boots when I walk. I might look into those Limm Traction Cleats. Charly needs something because he doesn't like to wear boots when he walks. I like that little light you have. You always have great ideas! See you again soon!

William Kendall said...

Ah, so that's why the cows are getting out and about so much.

Nellie said...

You are having a lot of snow and ice! Where we are, we’ve had barely a trace of snow, and it disappears within a couple of hours. We don’t have the necessary equipment for clearing ice/snow or proper apparel. Take care!

ellen b. said...

Glad that tractor stayed where it should. Those traction cleats look great. Good job getting those cows to stay put! I can imagine getting weary of shoveling snow. The right machinery really makes a job easier.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

oh my goodness, the snow and tractor would have made me nervous. So good he made it through okay. HA HA the cows just wanted to have a nice snowy walk! I love the floor lamp! Stay warm

Hootin Anni said...

That light looks like it's perfect for reading & your handi-work.
Got a big smile from me with the cattle picture!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

So much snow you are having where you are.

Take care. God bless.

Jeanette said...

I'm sure the farmer was glad you herded his cows back home! It's treacherous with the ice under the snow. I'm glad Ken was able to stay safe!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Ohhh, your light!!!! Is is a long, narrow rectangle, like it looks in the pic?

My husband just got one, and it is an 8 by 10 inch rectangle, like a page in a book.

๐ŸŒน ๐ŸŒธ ๐ŸŒบ ๐ŸŒผ ๐ŸŒท

Beside a babbling brook... said...

I used to pin curl my daughter's hair too! She didn't like it, either. *Badddd Mama*!!!!!

Wow, the ice under the snow, is brutal. Hope your new safety things, work well.

Herding cows!!!! Does the farmer know about how this is happening? It is his duty, to keep them in.

๐ŸŒน ๐ŸŒธ ๐ŸŒบ ๐ŸŒผ ๐ŸŒท

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Btw, answering commented questions, at the end of your next post, is BRILLIANT!!!!!

I too, do not write replies to my comments. Only once in a great while, if it adds to the discussion. I do not go back to the comments of others, a 2nd time, to check, and can't imagine anyone else wants to.

So I usually "answer", in the blog of the person who commented. Like I did, about pin curling hair, here above.

But your way is WONDERFUL!!!

๐ŸŒน ๐ŸŒธ ๐ŸŒบ ๐ŸŒผ ๐ŸŒท

Bill said...

That's a lot of snow to move around. The ice underneath it all is so scary, I remember falling down years ago because of the ice. Be careful and have a wonderful day.

NanaDiana said...

I hate walking on ice and even worse snow where there is ice under it. Those grippers sounds like a great idea. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs- Diana

Ruth Hiebert said...

The snow covered icy patches can be very dangerous . Do be careful.