Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Waiting for a call

Only 8 degrees this morning with treacherous walking conditions so no
walk up the lane today.

Down in the basement sitting off in a corner I keep passing an old telephone. 
So today I finally brought it up and gave it a good cleaning.
Washed it and then shined it up with some Old English polish.
Now it sits on a side table next to Mr Snowman who is waiting for a call.


 It warmed up a bit to the high teens and the sun came out.
Ken worked in the garage making chains to put on the tractor back tires.
He bought chains and links and then cut them to fit.
This will make it easier to use the tractor in the snow.

I got bundled up and then tried walking around outside.  No way
could I make it down the driveway!
I then went off into the woods out back and just walked in the snow
trying to make a path.  Hard walking in snow with a coating of
ice. Looking back at the path I was making.
That wide spot there is where I slipped and fell, but at least
it was in snow.

Had just a little salt left so put that down on the driveway.
After Ken got the chains on the tractor we went up the cabin 
driveway to rescue the ATV which died this morning when David was
driving it down to the house.
Their Jeep still can't make it up the driveway to the cabin so
they have been leaving their Jeep here at the house and driving the
ATV up to the cabin.
Anyway I stood on the back of the tractor and we made it up the
driveway.  Then Ken towed the ATV back down to the house with
me sitting in the ATV steering it.
Had some trouble towing it up our driveway but managed to get it
back in the garage. Now it has to be brought in for service.

Made a trip in the truck to town to the hardware store for
some more salt but they were completely out.  
More is expected in tomorrow.

All in all it's been a busy day and we both should 
sleep good tonight.
It's been another good day and we are thankful for it.

Thanks for stopping by.
A happy Wednesday to all.
👩🏻‍🦳 happyone ❤️

Comment Replies:
Vee - No, no rule about no puzzles after Feb - we both just are puzzled out.
Rose - Have you tried an OTT light.  I have one and they work terrific for needlework.
Beside - Yes, that's Ken's hobby - Building a HO Scale Train Layout.
Jeanette - No, my mom did NOT make her needle case - have no idea where she got it.

18 comments:

Connie said...

That old phone brings back memories of the cool sound of a rotary dial when you remove your finger with each number and of party lines. I remember that our line was two rings, anything different from that was a neighbor's line. You always knew when your neighbors had a call and you had to be sure and listen to make sure someone else wasn't on the line before you started dialing. Oh, and you certainly couldn't talk all around the house. You were limited to how long your cord was . . . oh, the good old days :) I miss them.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love that old phone on the table. What a cute and interesting arrangement. So fun! I remember my grandma having an black phone like that when I was growing up. Good memories. It's always nice to check in and see what you are up to. See you again tomorrow. :-)

Tom said...

...it was so cold today that filling the bird feeders was painful. Take care.

John's Island said...

Hi, You didn't mention if the phone is plugged in. :-) I would guess not, but it brought a question to mind ... Wonder how many are still using a "land" line at their home?

Granny Marigold said...

The winter weather and the snow sure causes a lot of problems for folks. I hope you manage to get that much needed salt tomorrow.

ellen b. said...

I can imagine that you are due for a good sleep after your day! Hope you can get the ATV fixed and some salt for the days ahead.

Hill Top Post said...

Maybe Mr. Snowman will get a call from Mother Nature telling him it’s going to get warm. I know that phone well. I grew up with one just like it. We got more snow overnight and today. It is now deeper than my boots are tall so I stayed off the trails today.

Rose said...

Glad you weren't hurt in your fall! It was -8°F here this morn at one point and might have went a degree or two cooler. I did not watch but it usually does.

Which Ott lite do you have? I have one and I do like it, but it sits on end table and seems I cannot get it close enough. Roger keeps telling me to get my eyes checked cause I get frustrated. I can go so much quicker in good daylight is why I think I just need a good light. And i have considered a magnifier but wondering how that would be to use.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I remember the old phones, the wall and the smaller trimline phones.
We are getting more snow today, the snow rom the previous two storms never really melted.
I am ready for spring, these cold days need to go.. Take care, enjoy your day!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Wonderful old style phone.

God bless.

Vee said...

What a winter tale! Hopefully, things will get back to normal soon. I was just noting that my ice melt is down to a quarter...will I make it through? I don't think so. Better try picking some up asap.

I love the telephone vignette, Of course I would! Perhaps I should try giving your snowman a call... from one old phone to another...

Henny Penny said...

I love that old polished up phone. Wish times were simple again like when we used those phones. :) It really looks and sounds treacherous there with the snow and ice. It's beautiful though. Glad your fall wasn't too bad.

William Kendall said...

We had an old phone like that in the house when I was growing up.

Bill said...

I just saw a yellow rotary phone at the recycle centre. It's funny to think that their are lots of younger people who don't have any idea what a rotary phone is. :)

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Helps, to be capable people, in this kind of weather!!! Good that you are.

Gentle hugs, 🌹

Debi said...

Sounds like a very busy day. I like busy... keeps us from getting bored. I love your old phone and the snowman waiting for his phone call. I hope his call is good news!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Walking or even driving on ice is one of my least favourite things to do. It is so dangerous .

Happy@Home said...

What a darling little vignette you created with the old phone. I hope Mr. Snowman received the call he was waiting for.
After reading about your cold, ice and snow I am reminded of what a wimp I have become. Your determination to get out there in those conditions is admirable.