Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, November 01, 2019

Chili, cupcakes, and an afternoon walk

Planned on riding to Oakland with Ken and walking there this morning
but Ken didn't go to breakfast with Edd.
Got up a bit late at 7:00 and was going to wait for it to 
get light and walk from home.
Walked a couple of miles down in the basement waiting for it 
to get light.
Never did make it outside then though.
Got a slow cooker of chili started.
Breakfast time.
After breakfast I baked 6 dozen cupcakes.
These are the Money Cupcakes I bake for the kids at Sunday
 school annually.
Money is wrapped in aluminum and put in the bottom
of the cupcake liners.
Then the batter is put in and baked.


I baked 4 dozen chocolate ones and 2 dozen yellow ones.
Didn't ice them yet though.  
I'll do that tomorrow.

Finally headed outside for a walk this afternoon.
It was 33 degrees and sunny and though it was still windy
it was nothing like last night or this morning.

Didn't walk to town, just around here in the neighborhood.
Walked up and down the lane.


Up at the top of the lane I stopped and took this picture.
That is town down there in the middle of the picture.


So I got my 6 mile walk in.
Partly in the basement and the partly outside.
Outside is way better!!

Friends of ours, Becky and Dave and their two kids
are coming over in a little while for a chili supper
and a look at Ken's train layout 
so I'm posting a little earlier than usual.
Will be around to visit you all later.

That's it for today.
Hope your day is a happy one.
happyone đŸ„°

Most folks are about as happy 
as they make up their minds to be.
Abraham Lincoln 

Comment Replies:
Sue - Thanks for the kind comment.  Glad that I helped in a small way to get you out there and walking!  

16 comments:

Michelle said...

Never had a money cupcake but what a fun idea. Your fall colors and scenes are beautiful.

Tom said...

...I remember you tell about your surprise cupcake before. I still think about our church picnics back in the '50s, rolls of shiny new pennies were thrown into a pile of sawdust and the kids would hunt for them. A penny was valuable back then.

Debbie Harris said...

You are so diligent about your walks, good for you!
My,your country side is gorgeous,who wouldn't want to walk six miles in that?!

Your money cupcakes are like the "Dime Cake" my Granny made for us as children for our birthdays. I continued the tradition with my daughter's and now with my grandsons, isn't that something!
The icing on the cake is always fluffy white 7 minute icing. It's such a beautiful cake.

So nice to visit with you this afternoon as I rest with a cold that I have struggled with all week.

Take care ♡

Hill Top Post said...

It's the time of year when a bowl of hot chili sounds mighty good. We had our first hard freeze last night with a heavy frost that didn't go away for awhile this morning. I always like your pictures from the lane running alongside the wooden fence. Town looks a long way off...

Adam said...

Nice Lincoln quote

William Kendall said...

Those fall views are exquisite.

Susie said...

You are a walking machine. LOL. I like that cupcake idea. Never heard of it. Wow your pictures are beautiful. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Rose said...

I love that shot from the lane, and the one below it. That is a great idea with the cupcakes.

I made chili yesterday....perfect day for it.

ellen b. said...

Chili sounds real good. Love those photos you took today. Yep...about that quote. :)

Granny Marigold said...

Have a great visit with your friends this evening.
It seems to me my Mom used to quote that Abraham Lincoln saying.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The picture with the wooden fence along the. road, is absolutely gorgeous.

KEV. Robertson. said...

A very full day you make for yourself and Ken- I don't get much done by comparison. Very hot here at 31Deg C...hopefully it will cool down a bit towards Sunset.

Vee said...

Such a fun idea for the children. My friend’s mother did something similar for birthday favors and it was a special thrill.

You make every day count, Karen. I always enjoy reading of your days. Have a lovely weekend, you and Ken!

Jeanette said...

How do you walk in the basement? Do you have a treadmill? I do and I use it when the weather is bad but like you, I prefer to walk outside. You do have some pretty places to walk! Those money cupcakes are a great idea for a fundraiser!

Bill said...

Such beautiful scenery. The cupcakes sound great.
Have a wonderful day.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such wonderful scenery in your photographs.

All the best Jan