Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, August 08, 2019

Snapping Turtle

Out the door walking this morning at 6:38
61 degrees with sun and clouds
and a nice breeze
Sunrise 6:23

A walk to town and around both cemeteries.
The cemeteries are right at the edge of town.
 Walking down from one of them here, soon to pass by the town pond.
Then back home again.

The deer and rabbits were all around enjoying the beautiful morning
after yesterdays rain.
🌤     🌤
Look what was in the middle of the road in front of our house.
A snapping turtle.

After I took his picture he turned around and went back in the woods 
at Happy Trails.
We saw one up in the pond near the Cabin a couple of years ago,
so maybe this one lives up there. 

Got a load of clothes out on the line
and a meatloaf in the slow cooker.

Went to town for my book club meeting.
I drove to town this time. 🚗
11 of us were there to discuss
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.
We all liked it and had a good discussion.

After lunch Ken and I went out to do a couple of errands.
Then we went up to the Cabin and did a few last minute
things to get it ready for David and Liz tomorrow.

Our sunny day turned dark and windy and we had some rain.
Just enough to give everything a good drink
and then once again it was sunny.

Hope your day was a happy one.
Life is Good
happyone 🥰

16 comments:

Rose said...

I just checked our library and I am in 415th position on 30 books! I read a few lines of it on Amazon and I do think I would like it. Snappers are one creature that I don't even want to touch...not to help across the road or anything. LOL But I love to see them.

William Kendall said...

Snappers are formidable beasts. I've helped one across the road before.

NanaDiana said...

That book has had rave reviews by everyone I know. I suppose when I finally have time to read again it will be more available. lol Great walk. Kids brought home a snapper in a wagon one time and put it in our pool. I about died! xo Diana

Tom said...

...I am always on the look out for turtles, but I rarely see them.

John's Island said...

Pretty neat seeing the snapping turtle. That one looks heavy duty. Being curious I had to do some research and discovered this, which I did not know ... "The bones of the shell are covered with a thick layer of skin and hard layers of keratin, the same protein found that makes up hair and fingernails." https://petkraze.com/blog/59482/turtle-shell-care Then, yet another curiosity resolved today... Recall your photo on Sunday, August 4, post? I thought it was great with those rays of sunlight flowing down. So, today I was reading about clouds in Gavin Pretor-Pinney's Cloudspotter's Guide. Yes, I'm a nerd on things like this. :-) Anyway, he identified those rays of sunlight ... they are called 'crepuscular rays.' Wiki article is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepuscular_rays Your photo is so good ... as good as any of the examples on Wiki. Lastly, meatloaf in a slow cooker ... wow, interesting. I've never tried it. Gotta give it a try as I love meatloaf. Do you have a favorite recipe?

Carol W. said...

I watch a homesteading family in Missouri on YouTube who use snapping turtles in soups & stews. Never had turtle soup myself, nor squirrel or rabbit meat. Meatloaf for dinner sounds good! I always enjoy your walking narratives and photos. God bless you both!

Granny Marigold said...

We don't have snapping turtles around here. I believe the ones at the lake are painted turtles.

Adam said...

Don't pet that turtle, that's for sure.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

"Got a load of clothes out on the line and a meatloaf in the slow cooker."

I did that the other day. Unfortunately the clothes got burned and the meatloaf eaten by the birds.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Pretty scenes and great shots of the Snapping Turtle. I enjoyed the Delia Owens book too. Hope your day is great, happy weekend!

Sandi said...

OH, wow! Great shot!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How neat that snapper is! You got such good photos too. I've heard lots of good things about that book but haven't read it yet! Enjoy your day!

Vee said...

He’s very cute for a turtle. Oh, meatloaf sounds very good. I might have to go shopping. The cupboard is almost bare.

Sue said...

I have been wanting to read this book, thanks for the thumbs up! snapping turtles intimidate me for some reason, we have some around our place too!.
Your cornfield is so lush and green, our farmers have already started gathering theirs. Have a great day.
Blessings,
Sue

Bill said...

I haven't seen a turtle in years. This one heard he could get a photo taken and placed on a blog so the world could see how beautiful he was. Glad he found you and you were available to meet his needs. :)
Have a great day!

ellen b. said...

That would be an interesting sight to see, a snapping turtle in the road. Not something we see around here. :)