Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, May 07, 2019

A trash find

Last night's sunset from the front porch again.
🌸     🌸
Looked out the window this morning when I first got up
and there were 7 deer roaming around out back.
The temperature was 48 degrees this morning at 6:30 when
I left the house.
A calm sunny morning.
Had another Netflix to bring to the library so walked to town again
this morning.
Walked around both cemeteries when I first got to town.
They are both at the beginning of town.
Then went to the post office.
It was trash day in town and by one of the day care centers
there was a little stand of homemade shelves sitting there waiting to get thrown away.
I walked by it at first on the way to the post office.
I kept thinking about those shelves though.
So I went back to check them out.
They need painting but are nice and sturdy.
I knocked on the door and asked if I could have them.
The woman was very nice and said sure, you're welcome to them.
Told her I couldn't take them right now because I was out walking
but would be back to pick it up later.

That put a little skip in my steps as I headed back home.

Saw a couple of deer while walking and quite a few rabbits.
Some just down the road from my house and the others
hopping around the lower cemetery.
A delightful morning walk.
Walked 6 miles
🌸     🌸
Did a few things around inside the house this morning
 one of which was to make the Rhubarb Cobbler with the rhubarb
I picked out of the garden at the old house yesterday.
Just couldn't wait till tonight to have some,
so had a little taste right out of the oven.
Didn't have any vanilla ice cream but did put a dab
of redi whip on it.

Late morning we drove to town and picked up the stand of shelves.
Had lunch out and then stopped at the Shop and Save.
Had to pick up a couple of cake mixes and cans of icing
because I have to make them and bring them to church tomorrow evening.
 Mentioned last month that it was tract month at church
and we split into two teams and had a contest which
team could give out the most gospel tracts.
The losing team has to serve the winning team a spaghetti dinner.
My team lost and the cakes are the dessert.
Ken volunteered to help so I have to make the dessert. 😁
I don't mind baking them though.
It is always fun to lick the spoon and beaters.

 We also got in a new supply of ice cream that was on sale.
Picked up a vanilla so I can have it with the cobbler later.

This afternoon I spent outside working on clearing and fence building.

Also scraped as much of the paint off of the stand of shelves
as I could and sanded them.
Going to paint them blue but thought I'd do that tomorrow.
Plan on putting my collection of white planters on the shelves.

Just before supper I sewed the squares that I made yesterday together
and had enough to sew another strip on the yellow gingham bedspread.
Now have 7 strips out of 24 done.
Each strip has 24 squares.

That's been my day.

Hope you made your day a happy one.
happyone 🥰


Comment Replies:
Lisa - Yes,the rhubarb leaves are poisonous.  They have high levels of oxalic acid which can cause kidney damage.  But you would have to eat 10 lbs of the leaves to die.  Small amounts can make you sick though. 

William - I think rhubarb is one of those foods that you either love or hate.  Ken doesn't like it either so that means I get to eat the whole thing. 

18 comments:

Rose said...

Funny thing, mom made rhubarb cobbler but I never ate it...I have no idea why. Not sure if I would now, but I bet if I would try it I would like it. Can you eat the stalks raw? It seems like I remember tasting rhubarb like that and liking it..

If I could paint, I would be asking permission to paint that first photo!

That looks like a nice little set of shelves!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Score on the shelves! They look cute the way they are, but looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Kerin said...

Wow! That is a gorgeous sunrise!!
Great rescue of the shelving unit...it will be super cute once you give it a fresh coat of paint.

Have a happy day.
~K.

The Furry Gnome said...

Great lighting in your photos!

Happy@Home said...

Your plan for the shelves sounds super cute. Hope you will be sharing a picture of the finished project. Yum to the rhubarb cobbler. Enjoy!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I look forward to coming here to read about your day. Your thoughts usually bring a smile and make me feel cheery. That rhubarb cobbler is sounding so goo. You can be thankful I don't live close to your place. 😊

Granny Marigold said...

Nice to know I'm not the only one who sometimes has to taste yummy things straight out of the oven!

Those shelves will be great for your white planters on them, especially once it's painted blue.

Vee said...

What a score! The shelves will look beautiful painted blue with your white collection on it. So glad that you snagged some vanilla ice cream for the cobbler. I can’t believe that Ken doesn’t like rhubarb! Have fun at your supper...

ellen b. said...

Beautiful sunset and the other photos are nice, too. I like those shelves.

Connie said...

It sure was nice visiting your sweet blog this evening. Thanks for the cobbler recipe, I was needing a new idea for using my rhubarb. Those shelves are a great find. Be sure and show us an after photo :)
Again I want to thank you for your prayers on our behalf, we count them and you as a blessing in our lives.
Connie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Now you're up-grading. From finding pennies now you're finding shelves. Whatever next?

God bless.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen- Nice pick-up with the shelf unit- will look great re-painted. I once found a rather tall concrete statue of a Greek Goddess by the cub side - not far from home...my partner is very pleased with it and the statue resides on our back porch. Amazing what people decide to part with as 'junk' or 'rubbish'. Have a great day. Regards. KEV.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love your pretty sunset and the view of the farm. Nice find on the shelf, I will look forward to the makeover. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

Inger said...

What a great walk, wonderful pictures, and all together a well-lived, joyous day. You motivated me to get up, go outside and live well too. Thank you.

Tom said...

...can I reserve a seat on your porch?

Lisa said...

Great find! I have a little vintage table I pulled from trash that I have scraped but not painted yet. I love finding treasures like these.
Lisa

Debby Ray said...

Did I hear...rhubarb mentioned?? Oh my, I have some in the freezer that I MUST get out and make something with...maybe I will add in some strawberries and make a cobbler! See what you did?? What a great find...the shelves are adorable!

William Kendall said...

A nice set of shelves!