Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, May 09, 2019

A load of gravel

55 degrees this morning.
Looked like rain when I left so took my umbrella just in case but I
didn't need it, just cloudy.

Carrying my umbrella I thought that it is a good weapon 
for dogs too.
It is pointy at the end and I can put the umbrella up 
and hold it in front of me as a shield.
No dogs today though. 😊

Walked to town.
As I walked along the road here the only thing I heard was
the birds singing and chirping.
Didn't see but heard the wild turkeys off in the distance gobbling.
 Walked around both cemeteries and down to see the cows
down by the Drane house.
They stopped eating to look up at me and one of them walked
over to the fence.
I was happy to see the horse I call Star too.

This little pond is just to the left of the barn and behind the
Drane house.
Walked around town past the bakery and then headed back home.
Walked 6 miles
🌺     🌸     🌷
Had a fun time last night at the spaghetti dinner.
Both my cakes got eaten up.

French toast for breakfast this morning.
It is Ken's favorite breakfast.






Brought the painted shelves inside and put my planters on it.
This picture shows the true color of the blue paint.
I am pleased with the results.

I am happy with myself that I did this project right away and didn't put it off.  
What usually happens is that I'd find a piece and then it would sit around for a LONG time before I actually got it done.

Maybe this time it was different because I knew exactly what I wanted it for.









We went outside and worked on the area where we are going to
put our tiny garden of tomatoes.
Put landscape fabric down to keep out the weeds.
Then we went and got a load of red gravel and spread it all out.
Ken put in a few big flat rocks as steps.
The rocks in the middle is the base for the 4 x 4 garden box
where we will grow cherry and regular tomatoes.
Tomorrow we hope to get the garden box put in.
It is the view right outside the kitchen window.
That pretty much took up our day.
This evening plan to get a little reading done,
a few weave-its made,
watch another Foyle's War episode
and have some chippedy chocolaty ice cream.

Hope you made your day a happy one.
happyone🥰
Comment Replies:
Angie - No swing or rocker on the porch, but we do have gliders.

16 comments:

Rose said...

Beautiful views in your first photos, and the others are interesting, and of course, I like all the rocks.

Tom said...

...I wish that I had all the money that I've spent on gravel over the years! That's a nice blue.

Adam said...

My mom's tomatoes almost died when we went on vacation. I guess she forgot to tell my brother to water them when he fed the cat.

William Kendall said...

Gorgeous light in that first shot.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those new shelves look wonderful.

ellen b. said...

Love the planters on the shelves! Very nice. You both have a great work ethic!

The Furry Gnome said...

That stonework looks like a LOT OF WORK!

Joyful said...

I love your first photo. It looks like a beautiful painting. You did well on your DIY. Congratulations. That sure is a lot of rock that you and Ken have been using in your new home and property. It is heavy work for you too. In the end I'm sure the garden it will look spectacular. You certainly have a busy evening planned. Enjoy!

Granny Marigold said...

The white planters look great on the new shelves. As usual you had a busy busy day. Actually, today I did too.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen. Your Shelf Unit looks supberb- just great for your planter display. Ken is really getting on with your Water Feature- great work there. Regards. KEV.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

The shelves look wonderful. Also the wall built for the tomatoes area. You are both very skilled.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the beautiful sky capture. Your shelves and planters look great. The rock work looks like a lot of hard work. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend!

Vee said...

As always, you have a photographer’s eye...I especially enjoy seeing the green of the fourth pic and the water and the glen and the little house in the distance. The shelves came out so nice...a perfect way to display the planters. I don’t know, Karen, you get a great deal accomplished!

Retired Knitter said...

That shelf is absolutely perfect! Nice color as well.

Debby Ray said...

Wow...that sunrise...and you will have a very nice little garden area. Your collection of adorable planters look so nice on that shelf too.

Sandi said...

Amazing sunrise!!!