Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Field of Sunflowers

No walking outside this morning.
It was snowing but today it was VERY windy and the
temperature was 8 degrees and kept going lower throughout the day.
Sometimes the wind was blowing the snow around so much that
I couldn't even see the mailbox at the end of the driveway.
 So it was back to the basement for walking.
As I'm writing this post now at almost 5:00 the temperature is at -3F.
❄️     🌬     ☃️
Didn't do much of anything today.
Finished reading my book,
The Beautiful Mystery
by Louise Penny.
It was a Chief Inspector Gamache book and a bit different from the
the usual.  This murder was in a remote Monastery in the remote
wilderness in Quebec.  
A bit slow moving but I thought it was very good.
πŸ“š
Did finish the small puzzle yesterday and started another
small one today which I will finish later.
I'll take a picture of both of them for tomorrows post.
🧩
Made some more weave-it squares.
🧢
It is our 47th wedding anniversary today and we had planned
on going out to eat at Outback to celebrate but decided to stay home and
have pizza. πŸ• Will go another day when the weather is better.

I've told the story about how Ken and I met before and many of
you may know it but there are some new readers so I thought I'd
tell the story again.
❤️     🚀     ❤️
My mother and father were divorced and my dad had a 
boat which he kept on the Hudson River, in Nyack, New York.  
I would drive up to the boat on weekends to see my dad and his girlfriend Jeanne.
One 4th of July I went up to the boat for the holiday 
with my boyfriend and another friend of mine to spend the day. 
Jeanne's two kids were to be there too 
and I would be meeting them for the first time.  
Her daughter Kathy was there with her 10 month old baby, Diane. 
Her son, as you probably have guessed is Ken 
who came up to the boat with his girlfriend.  
Well when the two of us met there was a connection right away 
and Kenny captured my heart that very day.  
It made things a bit awkward 
because we both happened to be engaged to other people.  
We ended those engagements and started dating. 
We were married the end of January just 6 months later. 
Though my dad and Ken's mother did get married 
they got divorced several years later 
but for a time Ken and I were step-brother and sister!  
My mother in law was also my step mother.
My sister in law was also my step sister.
When David and Debbi came along, not only were they our kids, 
but also our nephew and niece. 
Pretty crazy huh.
πŸ’’
Didn't take any pictures today.
Though I really do like winter and the snow
I'm missing some sun and color and warmer weather about now.
Here's a Field of Sunflowers to help me remember that there will be
sunny, warm walking weather once again.
That's it for today.
Hope your day was a happy one and you stayed nice and warm.
Life is Good
happyone  ❤️
Comment Replies:
Angie - Most days I walk 6 miles but yesterday I just walked 5.5 miles in the snow. 

24 comments:

Tom said...

...a nice review of summer.

NanaDiana said...

I did not know the story of how you met but I love it. Thanks for repeating it here. I used to tell my kids that when we were young we went to family reunions to find boyfriends. They would always give me the YEEEEWWWWWWWW...

Happy Anniversary to you- I hope you have a good night. Too cold to go out here, too! MINUS 50°F with wind chill....brrrrr.. xo Diana

Ivy Green said...

Happy Anniversary to you. Great story, thank you for sharing it with us. We celebrated ours too this past weekend. Not too many people get married at the end of January but it was close enough to Valentine's Day for me!

Carol W. said...

Happy Anniversary, Love Birds! 47 years is a blessing! God bless you both!

Connie said...

Wow! That is some story, it makes ours sound rather dull, LOL.
Happy 47 years! I think it was meant to be :)

Rose said...

Happy Anniversary! And love the story of how you met and the family ties! That is so funny.

Our temps were -9 forever this morn, and the high was 4..it is back down to 2. Temps this Sun/monday is supposed to reac 51ΒΊ!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I don't recall reading it before.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Happy anniversary to you! Hoping your weather gets better for walking soon. Loved the story of how you two met. Back in the 60's, my widowed uncle who had four daughters married a slightly older widow with a son and two daughters. His oldest step-daughter married his younger brother, his step-son married his oldest daughter, his other step-daughter married his nephew. The nephew use to call him "Uncle Daddy" as a joke, but it was in effect true.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Anniversary! That's amazing how you met and everything that happened after that. I know you are thankful for a happy marriage. God has blessed you both! Take care and stay warm tonight! I took the day off from walking today because I needed to...but can't wait to get back on the trails tomorrow. Wish you were here to go with me! I'm sure you would take off and leave me in the dust though! heehee! Hugs!

Dianna said...

Well, Happy Anniversary to you and Ken! March will be our 47th. I always love hearing the story of how you and Ken met and ended up together. I love the snow, too, but this extremely cold weather...not so much. Our current temp (8:16 p.m.) is 0 with a real feel of -22 degrees.
So I am enjoying the last picture in your post, too!

Vee said...

Forty-seven years? I guess it took! That is an interesting story. I am really not sure if I ever knew it, but it seems like one I’d remember. Happy Anniversary and I hope that your Outback meal is not too far away. Pizza is always good!

Happy@Home said...

Happy Anniversary Karen & Ken. Your story is one of the most interesting ones I have heard. Hope you enjoyed your dinner and things start to warm up soon.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a warm and friendly photo of the sunflowers.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, stay warm and safe. It is cold out there. Happy Anniversary. I like your love at first sight story. Pretty shot of the sunflower field, it looks warm. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead.

Kerin said...

Sending a very Happy Anniversary wish your way!
I know of another couple that has a story similar to yours... step brother and sister that got married, had kids etc. although the parents stayed married as well. What are the odds of that??!!

Thanks for the cheery sunflower picture. It's a good reminder of warmer days to come, sunshine, and great walks :)

Smiles :)
~K.

Kerri Farley said...

I hadn't heard the story of your meeting before. That is so cool!
Happy Anniversary!

Aritha V. said...

47e huwelijksverjaardag! Gefeliciteerd. And I love your love story!

Hill Top Post said...

Now that's a happy thought...a field of sunflowers! Well, we are getting there to the tune of one or two minutes each day, and it is beginning to be noticed here when we do our evening chores. I hope you had a lovely anniversary, despite the extreme cold keeping you inside. I enjoyed the story of how you met your future husband.

ellen b. said...

A very Happy Anniversary to you and Ken. Thanks for sharing the story of how you met. Smart to put off that celebration till the weather is a bit better. Blessings!

Debby Ray said...

Wow...that is some story! I had never heard it before so I'm glad you shared it again. Isn't it something how God puts just the right people in just the right places at just the right time? Happy Anniversary and enjoy your pizza!

William Kendall said...

Happy Anniversary!

Adam said...

Not many places look like that today.

Joyful said...

I love a snowy scene especially on a sunny day. It is so beautiful. I enjoyed the story of how you and Ken met and I'm so glad it worked out very well for you both. Congratulations on a long and happy marriage and Happy Belated Anniversary.

M.K. said...

That gorgeous photo reminds us all of how wonderful summer is! I love your story of meeting Ken - that's unique and fun!