Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Gramma's Weave-it's

Temperature hovered right at freezing this morning and it was
very foggy.  Some ice around so decided to skip walking outside.
Got my steps done inside.

Every year there is a cookie sale down at the Drane house
and I was asked again if I would make Welsh Cookies for the sale.
Of course I said yes and made the first two dozen today.
Have to bake 5 dozen in all and bring them to the town hall
November 30 for the sale the next day.
LOTS of people bake cookies for this event.
They cookies sell out real fast and you need to get there early
or you will be out of luck. 
The money from the sale goes to the Drane house for its up keep.

I talk about making weave-it squares quite often and it all started
with my Gramma.  When I was a little girl I would watch her make
these little squares and then sew them together.
I can't even tell you how many she made for people over the years.
Many years ago when I was a little girl my Gramma made one for me.
This is the one she gave me.
There are 303 squares in it.
 Sometimes she made different patterns in the squares.
This is the hourglass pattern.
Not only did she give me the afghan for my very own but then
gave me a loom that my grandfather made and taught me how to make them.
I've been making them ever since.
I think gramma would be happy to know that I'm still making
squares and that all those baby blankets I've made are keeping
babies warm.

It's been a cold, dreary, foggy, drizzle day and it's been nice to just
stay in side.

Hope your day was a good one and maybe where you live
you got to see the sun.

happyone  😊

20 comments:

Tom said...

...something to cuddle up with on a cold evening.

William Kendall said...

I like the pattern on that!

Happy@Home said...

Sun? Not sure I remember what it looks like. Cold and rainy here for days. In fact, I recently took out my special afghan :) to cuddle under while reading. Your gramma would be very proud of the way you have used your talents to bless so many. I loved hearing about how she inspired and instructed you to carry on the weave it tradition. How special to have the blanket that she made for you.

Adam said...

Pretty blanket

Granny Marigold said...

Just looking at the Welsh cookies they look a bit like English muffins.

How lovely that you still have the blanket made for you by your gran.

Vee said...

Sounds as if we had similar weather days. Love the story of your grandma who started you on your journey of making squares and blankets for all those babies. I also love that you still have the blanket she made for you. What a sweet memory.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That is a special keepsake for sure.No sun here today, except for a very brief moment in the morning.

Terra said...

That quilt your grandma made for you is stunning in its beautiful colors, and she gave you the loom too so you are continuing the tradition. Lovely.

Lisa said...

That quilt is beautiful and I thinks its wonderful that you are carryin on the talent.
Lisa

Henny Penny said...

That is so pretty! I want to weave on a loom. Seriously! I've been thinking about making a loom for years. A homemade loom. One of these days I'm going to do that. Your grandma really would be proud of you.

Angie said...

I am sure she is keeping a close eye on you and making sure you are doing it right - LOL! What a wonderful tradition that you carry on!!! You go, girl! Thanks for your recent visit to my blog - I have been a little busy lately and have not always had time to visit all my buds!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I remember we had these blankets years ago.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, that is a happy memory of your Gramma. The blanket is beautiful. It is wonderful you are making these blankets for the babies. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Debby Ray said...

What a beautiful treasure you have here...and what a great thing that you are keeping her legacy alive. This makes my heart smile. :)

Nawm D Gerr said...

Beautiful and special blanket. I need to learn how to do that.

Kerin said...

How special to have that blanket from your grandma, and the loom and the skill taught to you by your grandma to continue the tradition. I'm sure she would be happy and proud of you :)

Warm wishes..
~K.

ellen b. said...

What a sweet gift from your gramma both the special blanket and the time to teach you to use the loom and carry on the tradition.

Melanie said...

Such a beautiful gift from your Gramma. Very colorful. I'm glad you have carried on the tradition.

Aritha V. said...

O what nice!

Lowcarb team member said...

That is so lovely that you still have the blanket made for you by your Gramma.

All the best Jan