Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, November 15, 2018

A bit of ice and snow

Never got to blog yesterday.
We left at 7:45 in the morning for a trip down to
Staunton, Virginia.
Went to church and hooked up the church trailer loaded with the Roman's
books we have assembled and dropped them off down in Staunton.
Picked up another pallet for us all to assemble over the next few months
and brought them to church.
It is a 3 hour (one way) drive so we make a nice day out of it.
 We have lunch and then walk around a HUGE antique warehouse type
of place before heading back. 
Not much time to go home and then come back for the
evening service so we stayed in the area and had supper
and then just went to church.

Over night the freezing rain started and by morning this
that looks like snow is actually frozen ice/snow and very slippery.
I walked out on it and turned around and came right back in side.
It was a day to get my steps walking inside.

Baby blanket day at church was cancelled because of the ice.
This is the latest baby blanket that I would have turned in.
Last post I had mentioned that my grandfather made a weave-it loom
for my gramma that she gave to me.
I used the loom for years and then Ken and I were looking around
in a antique shop about 10 years ago and Ken spotted two weave-it looms
for sale so we bought both of them. 
A blue one and a yellow one which are plastic.
The wooden one on the right below is the one my grandfather made.
What patience that must have taken.
He nailed all those little nails in the wood and then took all
heads of the nails off.
The freezing rain and snow turned into just snow in the afternoon
and I went outside for a little bit.
The snow is supposed to stop during the night.

I cleaned out the closet in the office where I keep my
yarn, needlework projects, and other craft type things.
Now it is all neat and organized.

That's it for today.
 Time for supper.
A happy day to you.
happyone 😊

20 comments:

Joyful said...

I sure do hope the snow stops and it warms up a bit so the ice can melt or the sanding tricks get out. Sounds like you had an eventful day. I like the handmade loom your grandfather made. It would take a lot of patience indeed but look how long it's lasted. Have a great evening.

Tom said...

...you received our yesterday weather, glad to share!

Pom Pom said...

Your blanket is a cute gingham! I like it! Oh, you're getting that winter weather. I walked without a coat today but tomorrow it could be colder.
God be with you, good Karen.

William Kendall said...

The countryside looks pretty in the snow!

I love the winter, but I don't like freezing rain. Snow is in the forecast again tonight, and the ground's now cold enough here that what's already fallen appears to be staying.

Adam said...

Already a winter wonderland where you are.

Terra said...

That is nice to see the workmanship of the loom your grandpa made, and to see the baby blanket in its pretty colors.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The baby blanket is just adorable! And I'm glad you got to get outside for a bit. I thought of you this week....two days in a row I saw a deer on my hikes. That's pretty rare here, or I thought it should be! Today I looked and looked hoping to see another one! heehee! Enjoy your week...bundle up to go out!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love snow, but not the icy layer that often forms. You made a wise choice to do the walking inside.

Granny Marigold said...

The weave-it loom certainly look interesting. I just watched a short video that showed how they work.The loom your grandfather made is a treasure.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Snow already? It's cold today over here.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the baby blanket colors are so pretty. We had 4-6 inches of snow yesterday.
Pretty snowy scenes. Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

Sandi said...

The snow is beautiful!

Elaine (Retired Knitter) said...

Beautiful baby blanket. I love the color selection.

How wonderful for you to see the change of seasons from within your new home in the woods.

Connie said...

The woods looks of pretty and white, but brrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . . I'm not ready :)

Debby Ray said...

Beautiful peaceful snowy scenes. We still have some green on our trees! It won't be long now. Have a lovely weekend.

Vee said...

Love that blanket! You certainly participate in the life of the church and the projects it entails. That is wonderful. Your weather looks a lot like mine.

Lisa said...

I bet the snow was a wonderful sight at your new home. It is so pretty. We are getting cold here now finally. Its like 34 in the mornings and reaching the 50’s during the day.
Lisa

Lowcarb team member said...

You are fortunate to be able to get your steps by walking inside …
I love the colours in your baby blanket.

All the best Jan

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

It feels surreal that Christmas decorations are going up and snow is everywhere! I'm still in a Halloween mindset due to my father in law's illness and subsequent death. I'm going to have to play catch up quick!

ellen b. said...

Love your latest baby blanket. Be careful out there on the snow and ice!