Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, April 24, 2023

Monday

 28 degrees this morning when I walked.
It didn't feel that cold though.
It was mostly cloudy but the sun did come out from behind the clouds 
every once in a while.
Sunrise 6:26
Morning Walk Steps 13,685
Found a penny

On the drive to town I saw a few rabbits.

The town pond fountain as been turned on for the season.


Headed up to the cemetery on the hill to start out.
After walking around it a couple of times I went to see the cows
in the big barn.  
Farmer Marvin was there and we talked a while.
Another calf was just born. There are 4 more to be born.

There is a section in the barn where a few cows and their little ones
are getting some extra attention.
One cow broke her leg, it was put in a cast, then a splint, and is now
healing.  Her calf is with her.
On of the cows died and a calf died, so the live cow adopted the calf.
So far they are doing well together.
One other calf was born without a tail and FM said she is kind of dopey.
Mama cow is taking good care of her but they need to keep an eye on the calf.

It was cold enough that I could leave a message on the mirror again.

Next I walked over to the ball park and walked that loop.
Then up the main road in town and the side streets too.


The big Victorian house built a shed.
I think they did a fine job.


Another project has started in town.
This is between the Rolling Pin Bakery and C&W Lumber.
I wonder what it will be.
Will keep you posted.


Lastly I walked around the lower cemetery and that ended my walk.

A lot of the dandelions have turned to seed and I picked up a few
and blew the seeds off the stems making some more. ๐Ÿ™‚

As always it was a delight to be out walking early in the morning.

๐Ÿฅพ    ⛅️    ๐Ÿ™‚   ๐Ÿ’ฐ

The beginning of the week again and this morning spent some time
getting those weekly chores done.

Drove into town again this afternoon.
This time I went to the library.
A book was there to pick up that I had reserved.
Came home with that one book and 3 others and two DVD's.

We had pork chops for dinner.
I usually cook pork chops in the slow cooker because they always
come out dry if I bake them.
Looked for a recipe on line.
I googled  'baked pork chops that are tender' 
and this simple recipe came up.
Rub olive oil on the meat.
Mix garlic powder, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper and rub on meat.
Put in baking dish and add a little more oil on the meat.
Bake for 18 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
That's what I did and they came out tender and were pretty good.
Had potatoes and Brussel sprouts along with it.

Happy Monday
and thanks for visiting.
๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿป‍๐Ÿฆณhappyone๐Ÿ™‚

Hey I know it's Monday 
but it's also a new day, 
a new week, 
and in that lies a new opportunity 
for something special to happen.
- Michael Ely -

19 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The little shed really matches the house, they did a great job. The poor little cow with no tail. I hope he thrives. Now I want pork chops.

Tom said...

...there's a building boom in you little town.

Debby said...

I love pork chops. That little shed looks good. They did a good job matching it up. Sad to hear about the cows and calf that died but that is farm life. Still sad though.

Mari said...

Happy Monday! Sounds like you had a good one.
I love the story about the cow and the little calf kind of adopting each other.
That shed looks like it has always been there - they did good.

Vee said...

Your dinner sounds delicious. Sometimes, the crockpot just takes too long.

What interesting things going on at Farmer Marvin's. Glad that the calf and her new mother were put together
and are doing well.

Hope this cold snap moves along for all of us.

The Happy Whisk said...

I sometimes do the same thing and blow the seeds! Sorry to read about the cow and her baby dying. Glad the other Mama took the one in, if I read right. Loved the smile face in the frost!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen, I think I may try fixing my pork chops that way next time I have them. Thanks for the idea. I love seeing pictures of your very picturesque little town. :-) See you again tomorrow!

Granny Marigold said...

Something that I notice is that your town's streets are so tidy, no litter lying around. I used to carry a plastic bag when I walked so I could pick up stuff but it's getting hard to do the bending over. It bothers me to see dropped Kleenex and candy wrappers and such.
Sad about the cow and calf dying.

Ann said...

How sad that the one cow died. Hope the little calf born without a tail will do ok.
Those pork chops sound good. Wade always used to cook them on the grill and I though they were a bitt to tough,

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Another great day and walk, the view of the pond and fountain is nice.
It is sad to hear one of the cows died, I am glad the calf has been adopted by another mother. Your pork chop dinner sounds yummy. Take care, enjoy you day!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Lovely fountain.

God bless.

Happy@Home said...

So sad to hear about the cow and calf.
Isn't it great that we can google and get answers to everything now? I am the same way with pork chops as far as the only way they ever seem tender is in the crock pot. I have nearly given up on making them as I'm not a huge meat lover to begin with. Your recipe does sound good. I'm going to make a note of it in case Brett gets a pork chop craving.

ellen b. said...

That shed does look like it belongs. Glad you could come up with that pork chop recipe for more tender meat. I don't think I've ever made pork chops. I've enjoyed them when we've gone to someone's house for dinner, though. Hope your Tuesday walk went well.

Bill said...

The fountain looks very nice.

Michelle said...

I have the same problem with pork chops. The shed looks good and nice to see they took the time to match it with the house.

Jeanette said...

That little shed matches that house perfectly! I don't cook pork chops often because I struggle to get them tender enough. I'm going to try your method though next time!

Hill Top Post said...

Your first picture, the town and fountain one, is my favorite. One of our first calf heifers was standing in the middle of the garden this morning. ๐Ÿฅด

William Kendall said...

I like that misty first shot.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your pork chops sound delicious ...

All the best Jan