Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

An afternoon hike in the snow

 First part of my walk was laps around the basement - 3 miles.
It was 12 degrees outside.
The sidewalks and side streets still aren't all clear of ice
in town so don't feel comfortable walking there yet.

I made us pancakes for breakfast and then we went to
the Shop and Save. Just had to get a few things.

Took this picture from the parking lot.
What looks like a cloud is snow being made for the skiing resort.
There is a good base of snow and with the cold temperatures it is
good for making snow.


I baked some more pumpkin bread before lunch.
8 little loaves for gifts.
Kept one for us.

After lunch we took a hike up through Happy Trails to the
state park which our property backs up to.
A beautiful winding path takes us 


to a road in the park.
This road looks pretty level but it goes up hill.


Walked quite a ways along the road.


We got to the top of the hill here and looked down.
Right about in the middle of the picture and a tad lower
 is the school I sometimes walk to from town.
To the right I can see the cemetery and the church in town.
Might be hard for you to see.
Anyway it was really cool to look down on it all.


That was the end of our hike and we went back home.
It was beautiful up there and we hiked 3.5 miles.
I thought I could hike it myself on days I can't walk in town
but Ken says it is too remote and worries about me getting hurt.
So I'll only walk with him or David up there.

When we got back home we each had a piece of pumpkin bread.

That's been my day.
Thanks for visiting.
Happy Tuesday
👩🏻‍🦳happyone😊
🎄
I made this Santa in a sled ornament more than 40 years ago
and it is David's favorite one.


May the Christmas morning make us happy to be thy children, 
and Christmas evening bring us to our beds with grateful thoughts, 
forgiving and forgiven, for Jesus' sake. Amen
- Robert Louis Stevenson -

Comment Replies:
Debbie - For a long while covid was the reason we didn't go out to eat in restaurants.  I started looking up recipes and cooking the things we enjoyed eating out and realized we liked the things that we cooked at home better.  We just kept eating at home. Now a days it is so expensive for a meal out and the service is not so great and we don't enjoy eating out like we used to.

21 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I agree...eating out and mostly the service and lack of enough staff makes eating at home more inviting!! Most times these days our restaurant meal is served warm.

Great woodsy images.

Hootin Anni said...

Warm as in lukewarm

William Kendall said...

Good views for the walk.

The Furry Gnome said...

We often see the plumes of the snow-making machines near here.

Debby said...

I like to eat out but agree it is not what it used to be. Lack of good service and the food is mediocre at best. We do have a favorite Mexican restaurant we frequent. The service is always the same because its family and the food is always hot and good.

I enlarged your photos and they were so pretty - such a nice area you live in.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This ornament that you made is beautiful! I can see why it is his favorite.

Tom said...

...we eat out rarely, now and before the pandemic. Our tree is decorated with old ornaments that have meaning to us. I cherish an ornament of two pixies that we bought 54 years ago for our first Christmas together.

Barwitzki said...

Nice hike through the forest to the height you had... it's just wonderful with nice light snow and sun.
And you know what, I looked up the recipe for pumpkin bread... all the ingredients are there :-))) and now it's off to the kitchen... I'm happy... thank you very much.
Warm pre-Christmas greetings to you.
The day after tomorrow we'll put the Christmas tree in the living room and decorate it.
hug from Viola
p.s. I haven't liked going out to restaurants for a long time... it tastes much better at home because I use quality ingredients... from the farmer, from the garden,

Ann said...

What a beautiful place for a hike. Not going alone is a good idea though. Better to be safe than sorry.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I love that Santa. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

God bless.

KEV. Robertson. said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you Karen and Ken. It is predicted that our Christmas Day here will be 33 Deg C...a bit on the warm side...though we will still have hot Christmas Dinner and Tea. Best Wishes. KEV. (Sydney-Australia).

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen. That ornament is darling. I can see why it is David's favorite. I think it is so cool that your property backs up to a state park! Wow, that is just great - literally hiking right in your backyard! You have another wonderful day!

Jeanette said...

Beautiful place to hike and the view is gorgeous!

Bill said...

What a nice walk and beautiful scenery.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful scenery and winter landscapes. The ornament is really cute!
Take care, enjoy your day!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Listen to Ken, about where to walk. -smile-

Once real winter comes, it's just too hard for us to get to eat out. So I'm not trying now. If I could master things like Grub Hub, which deliver meals, now and then, I'd be happy. So far we only get our Sat. pizza delivered.

Happy Christmas

Granny Marigold said...

That quote from R L Stevenson is a great one.

Debbie said...

Karen, thank you for answering my question :) I understand! Prices are so high and I always regret the money spent on things that I could definitely make at home. Maybe this will be one of my goals for the new year. Cook more, spend less!

And again...your pictures are so pretty!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like the Santa in a sled ornament :)

All the best Jan

ellen b. said...

What a nice hike on your property! Fun to have a birds eye view of your town.
Love that quote!

Rose said...

What a great place to hike...and wonderful views.