Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Old and new and Vera

 A morning just like yesterday.
58 degrees, a little fog at first and then sunny.
Walked 5.1 miles
Sunrise - one minute later than yesterday at 6:39.


Walked straight through town and back and then
around the cemetery on the hill where I took the picture above.
Headed down the main road towards home a ways, turned back
and went around the lower cemetery a couple of times.


Saw Rebecca twice.  
First time walking her dog Leo and the second time she was alone and running.
The man that I've been seeing was walking again but was too
far away to say anything.  

Another now and then picture.
Picture taken in 1926
Original building was built in 1916 and a new front put on it in 1919.
Spoerlein's Garage


This is how it looks today.
Accident Garage


☀️    🥾    🌼

Another good day to do the laundry with all the sunshine.

Too nice to stay inside so puttered around outside for a while.

A couple of nice things came in the mail today.
Our Pastor sent us a very nice thank you card for the work we did
on the fence and little garden.
He didn't have to do that but it was so very nice that he did.
Love the note cards!


We bought the Vera series and that came in the mail today too.
It is a British mystery series and I heard about it first from 
We got one DVD out of the library and enjoyed it but they don't have
all of the series so we just bought it. 


Thought about washing the Jeep but that is as far as I got!! 
🚗

Instead I sat on the porch and read!!

Couldn't wait till tomorrow for pizza day so like last week
we made pizza a day early and had it for supper.

Thanks for popping in for a visit.
Happy Thursday🙂
👩🏻‍🦳happyone🌻

You must pay for everything in this world one way and another. 
There is nothing free except the Grace of God. 
You cannot earn that or deserve it.
- Charles Portis -

21 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

We enjoy the Vera series too.

Kerin said...

What a fun thing to see that old garage, and clearly the car had pride of place in their garage...I love it!!!
I never tire (no pun intended) of seeing old buildings, including old garages!
I personally think that the original building had more charm and character :)
It is interesting how folks 'modernize' buildings ;)
Thanks for sharing!!

Very kind of your pastor to send the card, and nice of him to show his appreciation for your hard work and dedication to the lot.

Vera is a fun mystery to watch. We enjoyed the series as well.

Enjoy your evening.
~K.

William Kendall said...

An interesting transformation of that building.

Sandi said...

Love that quote at the end,Karen!

Tom said...

...new windows and paint has freshened up the building.

Rose said...

I liked the Vera series. I love the British Mysteries...

Mari said...

Such a pretty walk!
I love the old building again. You would never know now how old that building is.
I have Vera on a list to watch too. I also heard about it from Miss Babbling Brook!

Debby said...

That sunrise photo is awesome. Wow. I hate to sound like a broken record, but you do live in a beautiful area.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your sunrise photo is gorgeous!

Ruth Hiebert said...

That sunrise is beautiful.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the pictures of the garage as it was and as it is today. I think pictures from the past are fascinating! I love that beautiful sunrise picture! That is so nice of your pastor to send you a thank you card. Glad you had another good day and did some reading. I notice that you have been reading a lot of Anne Perry books. I amy have to try some of her books. Have a good Friday! See you again tomorrow.

ellen b. said...

Amazing sunrise shot! Glad to see that garage has survived! We enjoy the Vera series. Hoping there will be another new season soon. Have a great Friday!

Hill Top Post said...

I love that sunrise picture! I suppose I am old-fashioned but l also like the original garage better than the updated one.

Hootin Anni said...

That sunrise definitely makes the day worth living!! I enjoy your comparisons

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I liked the now and then photos. Thanx.

God bless.

Ann said...

I like seeing old buildings that are kept up and still standing.
Enjoy the series. I've never heard of Vera

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The sunrise photo is gorgeous! I love the shot of the bull too.
I enjoy the Vera series, both on TV and her books.
Take care, have a happy weekend.

Vee said...

Sometimes I watch Vera on You Tube now that I've exhausted Midsomer Murders. I like Vera's way of calling everyone "Love" or "Pet" even the murderer.

That photo of the sunrise is beautifully framed. Spectacular.

Yes, it is nice to be thanked for a job well done, not that you expected it, just that it is nice.

Have a blessed weekend...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've never watched Vera but I'll see what I can find on youtube like Vee said. It would be nice to find a series and we like getting the DVDs. Have you watched Larkrise to Candleford? It's our favorite!

Happy@Home said...

I did a double take with your first photo. It almost looks like the ocean in the distance between the trees. Very pretty.
We recently binge watched Vera. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it at first, but she really grew on me and I missed her when we were finished.

Galla Creek said...

I watched Vera on our pbs station. It’s good.