Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

The first strawberries

62 degrees again this morning.
Calm with a mix of sun and clouds.

Driving to town a rabbit was running down the edge of the road.
I stayed right behind him in case he decided to cross the road.
He eventually ran in the bushes.

Walked around both cemeteries, the ball park, and all around town.


Made a stop at the library and dropped a book down the book drop.

A garden at the library.


 The bulls are doing good and were waiting for their breakfast.
The feed trough was empty.


Saw Joy out walking this morning.

Walked 6 miles

🌤    🥾    🌸

Baked some Chocolate Chippers for the kids for Bible Time.
Baked 10 dozen so am half done with 10 more to go.
I'm not the only one baking - quite a few others will
be baking cookies too.
I put them in the freezer.

I planted some strawberry plants this year and these are
the first to turn red.


Baking those cookies was just about all I did today.
Then I knitted and read.
Did sit out on the porch for a while too.

Dolly rests out back under the stone bridge.


Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog.
A happy Wednesday to you. 🤗
👩🏻‍🦳 happyone ❤️

Comment Replies:
Nellie - Oh yes, there are bears around here - black bears. 

LB - If you look under the header you will see the tab "Books in 2022" and if you click on the link it will give you a list of all the books I've read this year so far.

MsBB - No, the twin house has not sold yet but the little brick house on the main street in town was sold on June 7th.  


 



26 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

So nice to have home-grown strawberries.

All the best Jan

The Furry Gnome said...

We got our first strawberries today too.

Ann said...

What a pretty little garden that is. They do a nice job.

Tom said...

...local strawberries can't be beat!

William Kendall said...

The deer is quite at home on your property.

Debby said...

Well, not enough for strawberry shortcake but I bet they were really good. It reminds me of my husband - he has this fig tree and only he likes eating the figs. So there is one that is almost ready to pop in his mouth. I was told that to yield many strawberries you have to sacrifice one year. You pull off their flowers - and keep doing that and apparently the next year will produce more. I haven't done it yet - too afraid I'll ruin it.

I love the garden sign and those bulls must know you by now. Next time, give them a smooch from me. I love the cows and bulls.


Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen. Your strawberries look delicious. We already ate our first few strawberries. They were so good. I hope we get some more. I love seeing Dolly resting under your bridge. That is a very pretty little garden by your library - so well kept. See you again tomorrow. :-)

Vee said...

Your own strawberries! Yum. I really like the pattern on that plate. I noted that The Mountain Laurel Gardening Club takes care of the garden you showed. How good of them!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a swete little stone bridge! Is it on your property? Lovely spring flowers, too.

Debi said...

The library garden is lovely. So nice that the garden club keeps it up. I've never had good luck growing strawberries, yours look delicious. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Granny Marigold said...

Yay for the first strawberries of the season. And for baking 10 dozen chocolate chip cookies.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Nice to see your crop of Strawberries doing well Karen. Cheers. KEV.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What happened to the skunk?

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The library has a pretty garden. I love the deer in your rock garden.
The strawberries look delicious. Take care, enjoy your day!

Rose said...

I love that Dolly returns to sleep under the bridge! And the bulls! The first in line has a sort of pensive look on his face.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a pretty photo of the bridge with Dolly. Enjoy your day and the beautiful weather!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I have never tried to grow strawberry's tend to just buy them when we want some. I love the photo of dolly under the bridge

R's Rue said...

I love the cows.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Nellie said...

We watched two rabbits running around our back yard this morning! Our local strawberry season is over here. It’s usually Mother’s Day weekend when they are available. Homegrown strawberries are the best!

Sandy said...

How exciting to have your first strawberries! We've been having 94-96 degrees of late. Very warm and much warmer than is normal. Not sure how long it's suppose to last. Great Cemetery picture. What a beautiful garden there at the library.

ellen b. said...

Wow! 10 dozen cookies, good for you. We'll be baking lots of cookies for VBS coming up in August. That was a nice warm start for your walk. Those bulls look so pleasant. :) Have a good Thursday!

Kerin said...

You certainly baked up a storm :)
I'll bet your house smelled delicious!

The doe under the bridge looks quite content.
I like seeing those bulls too!

~Smiles :)
~K.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Those bulls are very attentive! Perhaps they think you might have brought a snack, to hold them over, till feeding time. ;-)

Mmmmmm your own strawberries!!!

Do you cover them? next door, they have to, or the birds get them.

Gentle hugs,
🌕👑🌕

Bill said...

Dolly really loves that spot, she feels safe.

Retired Knitter said...

I just LOVE that deer feel so comfortable on you property!!

Jeanette said...

Beautiful flower garden, the strawberries look delicious and how cute is that deer laying under the bridge!