Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, January 27, 2022

Making a rock cliff

 We had a beautiful sunny day but cold and I ended up
doing all my walking inside.
Today I made some loops around the main floor in the house too 
instead of just the basement.

While I was walking in the basement Ken was there making some
rock cliffs for his train layout.
Thought you might like to see how he does it.

First he mixes up a solution of plaster.


Then puts the mixture into a rubber mold.


The one he's using above is store bought but he has made many molds.  

He makes them by painting rocks he finds outside with a rubber substance.  
Quite a few layers are painted on with drying time between each layer.

Next the mold gets turned over onto cardboard, pressed down, 
and after drying an hour or so 


the mold gets carefully pulled off the plaster.
The rock cliff cast will be painted after drying completely for a day or so.


The plaster cliff then gets added to the layout.
A section on the right is finished and the ones he made today
will get added after they are painted.
Then some greenery is added.


🛤    🚂    🛤

After lunch we went to the library and picked up the two
books that were ready for me.
They are books 1 and 2 of a new series.
Home to Harmony and Just Shy of Harmony
by Philip Gulley.
Started reading the first book and liked it right from the start.
It's just a little book and I read half of it this afternoon,
will probably finish it later this evening.
Learned about this series from 
blogger friend Deb.
If you liked the Mitford series by Jan Karon or the Miss Read books
you will like this series as well.

📕    📗    📘

It was nice to sit by the back glass door with the sun shining
in reading and knitting.
More snow is supposed to be coming tonight
so it may still be a while before I'll be walking in town again.

Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit.
A happy Thursday to you. 😊
👩🏻‍🦳 happyone ❤️

Comment Replies:
MsBB - Our house is heated with propane gas.  It is a warm cozy heat and we are really pleased with it.  

21 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Interesting on the plaster molds. My brother used to make figurines with rubber molds. Then paint them. He made a nativity long ago...now I'm wondering what happened to them.

Tom said...

...Ken sure is clever!!!

Martha said...

Thanks so much for sharing how Ken makes the rock cliffs with us, it is very interesting and the come out really great! Glad you are still getting your walks in one way or another - of course I knew you would. Stay warm my friend!

William Kendall said...

A very clever way of doing it.

Rose said...

I LOVE those books by Philip Gulley. I can't remember all their names...one is Front Porch Tales, and can't remember the other(s?) They are just wonderful. Seems like there is another, but it has been so long I can't remember. There is the one story about taking his son to kindergarten that made me laugh out loud.

I think he is from near here, I was thinking near Danville...well, I went and looked. He is from Danville...

I looked and there are new books from when I read the ones I read. I thought I read four but don't see a name that sounds familiar. I have not read the Hope series.

I enjoyed seeing the pics of Kens making the rock wall.

Hill Top Post said...

Walking has to be a lot of fun when work is going on along the tracks. I love the rock cliffs. They are quite realistic. Someday I may have to start walking the long hall in our house, but for now Millie and I are all about climbing that big bad hill. Thanks for the reading suggestions.

Mari said...

I enjoyed seeing how he makes his cliffs - very creative!
Deb is a good one to get book ideas from. I've never been led wrong by her!

Granny Marigold said...

I've noted this author and will check if our library has any of his books. I'm always happy to look for books that have been recommended by others whose choices I trust.
I've decided to do as you do with responding to questions in the comment section. I used to be able to just reply right there but for some reason I can no longer do that.

Debi said...

Ken is pretty creative, thanks for sharing how he makes the rock cliffs, it was interesting. The books sound interesting, I'm going to see if our library has them. I loved the Mitford books.

Vee said...

Those cliffs look great. At first, I thought Ken was baking something.It's so cold all over. I've been walking around with a shawl wrapped around my sweater. Brrr... Are you getting the "blizzard" tomorrow? Supposedly, we are on Saturday. Not looking forward to it, but the grands are excited.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen! I am so glad to hear you are also loving Home to Harmony. What a delightful book! I will probably finish it tomorrow or Saturday. Ken's cliffs look great! You are both so talented. See you again tomorrow!

ellen b. said...

Love the rock cliff...very cool. Interesting process, too. Glad you found an enjoyable book series!

Elaine said...

Loved readng about the rock cliffs. Your daily walks inspire me! I'm in Arizona and we don't have any snow to deal with but love seeing the pictures. Enjoy your new books!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Ken's cliffs look wonderful, he is creative. I will see if my library has the Philip Gulley series. We may have more snow today too. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a happy weekend!

NanaDiana said...

I am always so impressed that you walk inside like you do. I don't think I could do it!
Food looks great and how nice he can do "kitchen stuff". Hope you have a great day and happy reading! xo Diana

Jeanette said...

I'm impressed with how realistic Ken's rock cliffs look! But then, I'm impressed with the whole train set up he has!

R's Rue said...

I love it when you like a book right from the start.

Kim said...

Wow, those rock walls look very realistic! Looks like a great hobby for Ken.

Bill said...

Ken is very creative!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

That's a JOB, but he enjoys doing it. Which makes it FUN!

Must be so nice, sitting in those chairs!!!

Will look up this series. A short book sounds nice, right now, since I am in a reading slump. :-(

Propane heat. Sounds delightful. Ours is regular gas heat, which of course, is sky high cost now.... Due to the Economy which "Uncle Joe" is providing us with. :-(

❄ 🔥 ❄

Ruth Hiebert said...

Seeing Ken make these plaster rocks brings back so many memories .