Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, July 10, 2021

My Old Quilt

A beautiful morning for taking a walk.  51 degrees, sunny, and calm.

Walked around both cemeteries, the ball park and all around town in no particular order.  

Today it was Yard/Garage Sale Day in town and early this morning there were people out setting up yard sales all around town.  There were about a dozen or so of them.  I said Good Morning to them all and just kept walking - didn't even look.  I don't even want to know what I 'need'.  πŸ™‚

I saw a white rabbit.  Thought it must be someone's pet that got out,
but it didn't act like one.  It scurried away just like the wild ones.
Maybe it is an albino out in the wild.

Didn't see anyone else out walking this morning,
just the yard sale people.


Walked 6 miles

☀️    🚢‍♀️    πŸ˜€

Went to the Dollar General first thing after breakfast and got
the second half of our grocery shopping done.
When we were putting the bags in the car
David and Liz pulled in next to us.
That's another nice thing having them nearby,
we run into each other often.
They were off to work.

I washed the living room and dining room windows.
Easy to wash because I can get the outside done standing on the
back deck and front porch.

After the unpredictable weather of the last couple of days
I took advantage of the nice sunny day to do a couple loads of laundry.

David and Liz were using my old quilt and gave it back to me
because they got a new comforter.
They were thinking of tossing it out because they said it was getting
ratty looking!!  Sure glad they checked with me first!!!
I washed it and hung it out on the line.
My mother had given me this back in the 80's.
Her friend Kathy made it for me.
Can you imagine throwing this away!!!!
I told them I thought they were crazy!!
Wasn't mad just couldn't believe it.  
We had a good laugh over it.


Went outside and did a little weeding.  I don't weed gardens but gravel!!
 Knitted some more on the hat
and read a while too.

We grilled hot dogs out back for supper and had baked beans with it.

That's all I've got for today.
Thanks for stopping by.
Hope your Saturday was a good one.
πŸ‘©πŸ»‍🦳 happyone ❤️

Comment Replies:
Anni - you were right! The yellow flowers from yesterday are Birds Foot! Thanks so much.  You sure know your flowers!!

Eileen - We haven't been to the bakery/deli at the new location but have been to it when it was on the other side of town.  All their stuff is delicious and reasonably priced.  I try not to go often because I can gain weight just walking in the store!!! πŸ™‚

15 comments:

Tom said...

...some live in a disposable world!

Martha said...

I would not be able to resist stopping to look at those yard sales. I'm very disciplined though and would only get things I seriously love or could use. I really can't believe David and Liz were going to toss that gorgeous old quilt. I'm so glad they gave it back to you instead! Enjoy the rest of the weekend Karen. :)

susan q said...

I can resist a yard sale but I enjoy looking at what people are selling. Oh that quilt is a treasure that came back to you♥ Sounds like another great day for laundry and you.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Same here, no Yard Sales for me!!!!

Good Grief!!!!!!!!! Throw out that lovely quilt?????

Hot dogs and beans here too!!!!! -grinnnnnn-

We had our one day of sunshine, in days and days. And another week of rain coming. Where can I go to complain??? LOL

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen. That is such a beautiful quilt. I am sure glad that David and Liz gave it back to your. You are a better woman than I when it comes to yard sales - I'm afraid I would have stopped at them all. I went out hiking again tonight, wearing the shoes you sent me and every time I wear them, I think of you and am very grateful for you sending those shoes to me! They are great. Hope you have a good Sunday.

Hill Top Post said...

I thought of you today when I was washing windows with a microfiber cloth. Funny that you were doing windows too! Yay, for the beautiful quilt’s coming home.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I didn't know there could be white hares or wild rabbits!

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the view of the sunlight. It is great that David and Liz are so close by now.
The quilt is beautiful, I am glad you have it back to treasure. I would have to try out the new bakery/deli at least once. Happy Sunday, have a great new week ahead.

Hootin Anni said...

Omgosh, they were thinking of throwing that quilt away?!! No way.

Beautiful early morning scenery. I love going along on your walks. Wish I could wash MY windows...all of them are covered with permanent hurricane shutters, it's impossible.

Bill said...

I stay away from yard sales. :) Good that the quilt wasn't tossed out, looks like it has a lot of ife left in it.

Kim said...

An old, ratty quilt is the most comfortable quilt ever. I keep mine until they're in tatters. If it was made by a relative, it must be saved. Glad you got to it before it was too late.

Shopping for me is now an anxiety-producing activity. I'm so afraid I'll waste money after doing it so many times in the past. I used to yard sale, and "that smell" we all know that yard sale stuff has, sticks in my mind and discourages me from stopping. I'm weird! πŸ™ƒ

Ruth Hiebert said...

I guess the reason I don’t go to yard sales is that I don’t want to see anything I might ‘need.’ The quilt is lovely and a nice memory.

William Kendall said...

Just as long as you don't follow the white rabbit.

ellen b. said...

Oh my...I'm glad they checked with you first before throwing that quilt away. Glad you could laugh over it. I'm not sure I could have walked past all those sales. :)

Rose said...

That quilt is beautiful...so glad they did check with you first. Just think of all the work involved.