Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, June 25, 2021

Old irons and a jug

I'm loving these nice sunny mornings for walking.
54 degrees with a bit of a breeze.

Oh no this can't be good.
Hard to believe so much dirt came out of the ditch.
This house is just before you get to town and a retired pastor lives there.


 Had a very random walk around town.  I usually have a bit of a plan
for my walk but today I had no plan at all.

A bicycle race is on in the area and I saw a few bikes
zip by through town.  There was a van parked at the edge of town
taking a video and I'm sure they got me in it too!

I saw Joy out walking again and we stopped for a little chat.

Walking down from the cemetery I noticed someone running laps
around the pond.  Can you spot her in orange?


Some people put other things at the gravesites besides plants, flowers, or flags.
Some place different objects there.
A collage of some of them.
The skull seems a bit strange.


That's my Friday walk.
Walked 6 miles

☀️    ๐Ÿšถ‍♀️    ๐Ÿ™‚

I made a small rhubarb cobbler with the little bit of rhubarb that I
got out of my garden.  
That is one thing I cannot bake and not eat.
I love it.

Also had some milk I had to use up so made Ken some pudding 
with it - banana cream.
(not from scratch, just a box)

Ken has finished cleaning out the upstairs room in the tractor barn.
This afternoon I went over there (it's by the cabin) to see 
how it looks now (he did a great job with it)
and I brought these things back to the house 
that I forgot I had.

Old Irons

and this old jug.


The irons make great book ends or door stops.
I like them as door stops because when the windows are open and
it's windy out, the slamming of the doors in the house always scare me.

Washed the irons as good as I could and was going to paint them black
but decided to just let them be.

I did a little knitting and then read for a bit sitting out front on the porch.

The lilies that I have in a pot out front decided to bloom today. ๐Ÿ˜€


It's been a good day.
Hope you made a good day too.
Thanks for stopping by.
๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿป‍๐Ÿฆณ happyone ❤️

Comment Replies:
Anni - Thanks, you're right about the flowers from yesterday being Larkspur.  Looked them up and they look like Rocket Larkspur. 

17 comments:

William Kendall said...

Unless the deceased had a great fondness for Hamlet, a skull at a grave is just weird.

Tom said...

...that's quite an iron collection, my Amish friends still use them. I bought a package of lily bulbs on sale, they sure are SLOW! Enjoy your weekend Karen.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Those lilies are beautiful. Your iron collection is interesting, and using them as door stops is putting them to a good use. I noticed different things besides flowers on some graves when we went to the cemetery on Memorial Day. Some families put a can of the deceased's favorite soda on the grave. In fact, at the funeral we went to today, my husband's aunt's family put a can of Dr. Pepper in her casket with her. Glad you had another good day.

Inger said...

I love the way you describe your day in just a few lines. I wish I could, but I just on and on and on. I love the old irons and the jug too. Very cool.

Hill Top Post said...

What a great collection old irons you have! I am glad you left them as is. You really are having some perfect mornings for walking. I am proud of Joy for being out there too!

Hootin Anni said...

Gorgeous lilies. And, awesome iron collection.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Yes, I can see the woman in orange running in the middle of the photo. She looks like a post to me.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Pretty view of the pond! I love the lilies, beautiful color.
Neat collection of irons. Take care, happy weekend!

Martha said...

Great old iron collection and fantastic idea to use them for doorstops. So glad you had another nice day. Enjoy the weekend! :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Hard to believe you walked in the 50s...we want see temps that cool until Fall! Love those old irons...how interesting! I used to have one that didn't have a plug and it was good for a doorstop too. Happy weekend!

Aritha V. said...

Your lilies are so beautiful. And I love the irons. In my language: strijkijzer.
Strijken means: (intransitive) to stroke, (transitive) to iron, press (clothes). And ijzer means iron.

Your post is really nice. Love to see the other runner near the pond :)

Kim said...

Lots to see and do on your walk! Guessing the skull is in honor of Shakespeare? Maybe the person was in theater. Sad to see a little one's grave. Your lilies are lovely, and your iron collection is impressive! Happy Saturday!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

OH! You will have to go back by all that dirt!!! To report on what is going on there!

I do hope it has been brought in, to do some landscaping or such.

Yes, this morning is lovely... Cool with a magnificent breeze! But we are due for a stretch of 90's and possible T-storms.

Old irons for door stops! Oh yes, just leave them be, as is. They can not be improved upon.

And yes, a slamming door is enough to scare anyone.

๐Ÿ“ ๐Ÿ“ ๐Ÿ“ ๐Ÿ“ ๐Ÿ“ ๐Ÿ“

ellen b. said...

That's a good idea for door stops! Cool jug. Glad you are enjoying your warmer morning walks. It's already hot here this morning. We're staying inside where it is cool.

Bill said...

That's a nice iron collection. My grandmother had some old ones like that.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like the look of the irons ...
The lily is lovely what a fabulous colour it is.

All the best Jan

Granny Marigold said...

You have quite a collection of old irons! The jug is unique. I wonder what it was for originally.