Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Our Red Christmas Balls

 This morning when I left on my walk the temperature was 24 degrees,
cloudy, windy, with a few snow flurries floating around.

Walked all over town, around the cemeteries, and ball park.
The only person I saw was the man walking his dog.

It was a very gray cloudy sky but then just for a couple
of minutes it was a beautiful color.


The town pond is frozen and didn't see any geese.


This roof as been slowing caving in.


Walked 6 miles

☁️    🙂    ☁️

Off to the Shop and Save we went after breakfast to stock
up on some groceries again.
We have noticed that the price of ground beef has been rising.
Around here it is now going for over $9 a pound, 
but sirloin steak is $4 something a pound.
I needed ground beef to make chili but we got the steak
and will use that instead.

After lunch we bundled up and went out back to cut
down our Christmas tree.
Then inside to set it up and decorate it.


Every Christmas since we've been married Ken has painted a red
Christmas ball highlighting something from the past year.
We don't usually put them on the tree but display 
them somewhere else.
This year we decided to only hang the red balls that Ken painted
on the tree.
As we carefully unwrapped each ball, we read it, thought about
that year and then hung it on the tree.
It was an afternoon of memories.

Sorry for the blurry picture but you can still see how many balls there are.


Some close ups of the balls.




One last picture of the tree all decorated.
Balls, lights and tinsel.


Now I'll try to keep the tree up till New Years Day.
It is hard for me to keep it up once Christmas is past.

That's it for today.
Thanks for stopping by.
A happy day to you.
👩🏻‍🦳 happyone ❤️

It's not what's under the Christmas tree that matters,
it's who's around it.
- Charlie Brown -

Comment Replies:
Debi - I also have the drinking glasses that match the china from yesterday. Also have a 2 tier serving tray. 

Kim - We use the Christmas china dishes all through the holiday.

Vee - The Christmas china from yesterday is NIKKO.

23 comments:

Rose said...

I meant to tell you last night that I liked the china...

I love your tree, and I love the idea of painting a ball with the year and something that stood out from the year. Ken did a good job. And I love the tree.

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh...what a special tree each year. That is just so awesome. I'd probably be teary-EYED all day long, reading what is written (oh the memories). I think this is the best tree ever!! (Love Charlie Brown's quote & your morning sky!)

Tom said...

...what a nice tradition with the red balls. We decorate our tree with ornaments that the kids and grandkids made over the years and things that we have picked up on vacations. Stay well.

The Furry Gnome said...

What a neat way to decorate your tree!

ellen b. said...

Wow! Love your red ball tradition! Such a great way to record the years. Your tree looks just right for 2020 Christmas.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen - I love the tree and all of your fun memories from throughout the year. What a great tradition!! I am now curious what you put on your red ball for 2020. I hope you will share that. That is such a beautiful sunrise picture. See you again soon.

Vee said...

Very pretty tree! Good idea to use all the red ornaments that Ken has been painting each year. Wonder if he'll say anything about this year.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The tree is lovely and those special balls make it even better.

Hill Top Post said...

This is just the best tree ever. I love it!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Beautiful Christmas tree. Great idea.

God bless.

Ruta M. said...

Lovely tree with beautiful memories.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the beautiful sunrise. Your tree looks lovely with all the special red balls. Happy memories from Christmases past! Take care, enjoy your day!

Bill said...

What a nice tradition to decorate your tree.

Inger said...

Doing such lovely thing with your husband brought tears to my eyes, missing the things Errol and I would do together. Then Faith came and licked my hand. I thought it was a sympathy lick, but then I realized its time for their breakfast. And now I'm smiling again.

William Kendall said...

Neatly decorated!

Grandma C said...

Cute tree even without decorations.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I am wondering the same thing as Deb. Maybe you have to wait until the very end of each year to paint that year's ball, in case something happens in the last week that becomes THE most striking event...? That is certainly a historic collection!

John's Island said...

Hi Happyone, Wow, that first pic is amazing. What a brilliant sky! Your tree is really cool. Nice work on the decorations. Please say HI to Ken for me … I’m wondering if he has posted anything new lately about his train layout. John

Jeanette said...

That is a great idea about the red balls! I wish I would have started something like that when we first got married! I do have a small mailbox ornament that I put a little note in at the end of every year. I've been doing it for about 20 years now It's getting pretty full!!!

Granny Marigold said...

Many trees are beautiful but yours is also very very meaningful. Such a good idea.

Happy@Home said...

Love everything about your tree... the wonderful memories in the red balls, the placement in the corner, the tinsel and the fact that you cut it from your property. Wonderful!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your tree and your red ball tradition, such a good idea.

All the best Jan

Retired Knitter said...

Just love the look of that tree with all the red balls. What a wonderful idea.