Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, December 05, 2020

Baked Cookies

 31 degrees and cloudy with a slight breeze.
It rained last night and with the temperature freezing thought
there might be some ice around town, but there wasn't any ice, just wet.
With the rain, just about all the snow is gone already.


Had a nice walk around town, up and down all the streets and 
around the cemetery at the top of the hill.
Stopped at the library and dropped two books down the book drop.

Rebecca was the only person I saw out this morning.
Just as I was getting back to the Jeep some pellets of frozen snow
started coming down but it didn't last long.


Walked 6 miles

☁️    🙂    ☁️

Had a couple slices of the English muffin loaves I made yesterday for breakfast.  Delicious with butter and jelly.

Today more Christmas cards got written out,
my scarf I'm working on got a few inches longer,
and another row of squares got sewn on the baby blanket.

This afternoon I made Pfeffernuesse Cookies.
I've made these every Christmas for years and years.
The ones I've had from the store are always hard but these
are nice and chewy.  
The recipe comes from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook
that I've had since we got married.
In fact I bought it on our honeymoon.
I think of our daughter Debbi when I make them - they were
always her favorites.

That's all I have for today.
Thanks for stopping by.
A happy day to you.
👩🏻‍🦳 happyone ❤️


Best of all, Christmas means a spirit of love,
a time when the love of God and the love of our fellow men 
should prevail over all hatred and bitterness,
a time when our thoughts and deeds and the spirit of our lives
manifest the presence of God.
- George F McDougall -

My thoughts are, not just at Christmas but EVERY DAY.

Comment Replies:
RK - Yes, the layout does get dusty - Ken has a tiny little vacuum he uses, but mostly he uses a little paint brush to dust with.

14 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

I'd not come across Pfeffernuesse Cookies before, so thanks for the link to your baking/cooking blog.

Happy Weekend Wishes.

All the best Jan

NanaDiana said...

I bet I have that same Betty Crocker cookbook and still use recipes from it. The pages are stained and a little the worse for wear. lol. You walk looked cold this morning~
Have a wonderful night- xo Diana

Vee said...

Wasn't I just here? I get so confused these days. I love those cookies. They are wonderful and my auntie made them with a bit of pepper.

The bread is giving me ideas. I did not make a store run to. eat the snow and now I have no bread. Perhaps I'll just bake some biscuits.

Vee said...

to eat the snow?! translation: to beat the snow.

Vee said...

And I see that your recipe has bit of pepper, too. Probably, that's "the thing" about these cookies. Should look up the meaning of the name at this point. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Tom said...

...that little touch of snow is beautiful. I hope that you are enjoying your weekend.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I see so many talking about Pfeffernesse cookies and i have never made them. I know what they are, but, honestly, never really cared for them. maybe if i tried them now, I might like them.

Rose said...

Thst looks to be a great shot...got to remember when I get back home to look at this on computer.

It sounds like you have been busy.

ellen b. said...

I do prefer a softer cookie. It's fun to keep a tradition alive. Sounds like another productive day!

Hootin Anni said...

I have an ancient B C cookbook too. Had it (and still use it occasionally) for 50+ years. Chewy cookies are the best. Love the stormy, moody sky photo with the birds. Oh my, dusting his train yard...that would be a fragile work, I'm sure.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Christmas ... a sign of hope.

God bless.

Inger said...

I enlarged the picture of the birds on the bare branches. So lovely. Once again, I admire your walking skills. It will benefit you so much and help you stay strong when you get my age.

Bill said...

Never had Pfeffernuesse Cookies but they sound good.

Granny Marigold said...

Around here we call them Pepper Nuts which is, I believe, what Pfeffernuesse means in German. I used to make them but haven't in a few years. I'm sure my family would love for me to make them again. Thanks for including the recipe ( I'm not sure where mine went).