Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Baby Snake

 

A mix of sun and clouds this morning and 65 degrees when I left on my walk.
Just a slight breeze once in a while.
Didn't see any people and only one deer this morning as I walked to town.

Didn't walk around any of my usual loops, just walked all over town,
up and down the streets.

 
 Though I didn't see any people around town there were a lot more 
cars along the roads than usual.
So it was nice to get back off the main road and onto the quiet and
peaceful back road to home.

Saw this baby Red Milk Snake in the road.  It was only about 6 inches long.
It was dead but not squashed.
To me it looked like some hawk or something was flying with it and dropped
it because I could tell something had hold of it right under the head.
Anyway the colors are sure pretty.


Walked 5.5 miles

⛅️     🙂     ⛅️

I drove us up to the cabin in the ATV first thing and we worked a couple
of hours on the outhouse.  
It is taking us a while because we just work on it a 
couple of hours each day but it is coming along.
When we get a bit more done I'll post a picture of the progress.

We went to Burger King drive thru for lunch and had spicy chicken sandwiches.
It was the first time since the virus we have eaten anything 
not from home and this was a real treat!

This afternoon I sat out on the front porch for a couple of hours where 
it is nice and bright and worked on my counted cross stitch outlining again.
I'm about half finished with it.  
Slow going but relaxing.

It's been another nice day and one for which I'm thankful.

Thanks again for stopping by.
A happy day to you.
happyone ❤️

Don't wait for people to be friendly - show them how.
- unknown

18 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I like the closing quote very much. And yes, it IS nice to go out to eat. I've missed going inside, sitting down and being waited on with a good meal...too long for us. Oh, I've ordered a pizza now & then & go pick it up, but it's not the same.

I look forward to seeing your outhouse project (now that is something I never dreamed of saying) lol

Debi said...

Sitting on the porch working on a cross stitch project sounds like a lovely way to spend an afternoon. I like your quote about being friendly, very timely.

Rose said...

I solove that first photo...just beautiful.

ellen b. said...

That's a great looking snake.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That snake does have bright colors. You talking of making an outhouse reminded me of one that I saw. It was painted in bright colors and even had incense sticks in to burn when needed.

Granny Marigold said...

When we walked this morning we noticed a lot more traffic on the roads and more people in the park too. The cars we attributed to it being the first day of school but why so many more people walking?
I'm not fond of snakes but that little one is rather pretty.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen. That is a pretty little snake. My oldest son loved reptiles and at one time he had about 5 or 6 pet snakes, in cages in his room. I wouldn't say that snakes are my favorite animals, but I did get used to having them around and even picked them up and cleaned their cages once or twice. Glad you had a good day. See you tomorrow!

Tom said...

...your first image is wonderful! I've never been to your area, but in my travel in Pennsylvania I've seen many towns that look like the scene you show. The houses seen to be built right on the street with no front yard. That Red Milk Snake is new to me, I'm not a fan of snakes!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Sneaky Snake - Tom T Hall

God bless.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen- Great photo of the Town- very nice buildings. It has been warm here to-day this Spring - very cold at night. We have not had the heater on yet- though still well rugged up. Best Wishes. KEV. (Sydney-Australia).

Jeanette said...

Poor little snake! Your town looks really cute and a fun place to walk!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That was a colorful snake! And your weather sounds perfect. It's warmer here but I'm planning to get out this morning. Love your photo with the sun coming into it! Enjoy your day!

Vee said...

I don't want to talk about the red snake, I want to say how beautifully framed the red barn is. Gorgeous pic. There's a weathered gray barn on a slope rising from the river on the way to my sister's. I always want to get that perfectly framed shot, but it is a busy road coming into a curve. Some day I will!

Yes, those first meals away from the house are extra special. I have enjoyed a number of them now and look forward to more as more restaurants open. Even Mickey D's is exciting. 🍔🥤

Happy working on the outhouse!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The first scene is pretty, I like the lighting. The snake is colorful.
I am not a fan of Burger King, I have tried the Spicy Chicken sandwich at Wendy's. Take care, enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy weekend!

Bill said...

Beautiful scene in your first photo, it looks so peaceful which is a great start to a new day.

William Kendall said...

Poor snake.

Happy@Home said...

We have a lot of snakes around here, but I've never seen one with that coloring. Poor guy. Glad that you were able to get out and enjoy a spicy chicken sandwich.

Lowcarb team member said...

A wonderful first photograph, love the light and shadows in it.
The snake is a colourful one.

All the best Jan