Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, June 04, 2020

Planting

A couple of flying geese


Sure glad the wind has died down.
62 degrees when I walked this morning with a mix of sun and clouds.

Walked to town and through it along the side road.
Turned up the road that leads to the school
and walked to the school up there on the right.

Just past the school I turned right.
(School is on the corner)
Then turned right into the school parking lot, walked through the
parking lot, come out the other end and walked back home.

If I didn't turn into the school this road takes me around the
Farm Loop where I used to walk often when we lived in town.
I was tempted to walk it today but it is pretty far if I have to
walk all the way back home.
It would be over 8 miles.
I'll do it one of these days.

I've taken a picture of this huge rhododendron bush a few times
and I just can't get over how big it is.
Kept the house in the picture to give you a reference to the size.


Saw RuthAnn walking her two dogs.
Glad I took a picture of the cows in the field yesterday because
they were all gone.  Farmer Marvin sure likes to move his cattle around.

Walked 6 miles

☁️     🙂     ⛅️

Did house stuff in the morning and after lunch we went outside.

We purchased some ground cover plants and they arrived yesterday by UPS. 
Today we planted all 50 of them.
25 Bugleweed Bronze
25 Elfin Creeping Thyme
We planted them on the side on the bank up from by
the little waterfall.
Sure hope some of them survive because it was a lot of work
planting them up on the hill there.

I also planted 16 sunflowers and have a lot more to plant.
The ones today I planted out back the next bunch I plant
will be out front somewhere.

That took up the whole afternoon.
Nice to sit on the porch for a little while taking a rest
with a nice cold bottle of water.

Sure looking forward to that ice cream later!

Thanks for stopping by.
Life is Good
Find the good in your day.
happyone ❤️
Comment Replies:
Brenda - Hurricane, WV is 217 miles away from where I live in western Md.

19 comments:

Tom said...

...I've seen some large rhodies, but this one takes the prize!!

Vee said...

That rhododendron is glorious! It must be their pride and joy.

You have a green thumb so I am sure that your new plants will do very well. Are the daisies up yet?

Rose said...

Lorelei and I just had a bowl of ice cream and Roger had an ice cream cone...ice cream is one of my favorite foods.

That rhododendron is a joy to behold!

Hootin Anni said...

I was thinking more on the line if a cold beer, but water would be my choice too. That's a lot of work, planting. And 8 miles...whoa.

Hootin Anni said...

Forgot to mention that gorgeous bush!

Susie said...

Hi Happy, Could I borrow a cup of energy please. I wish I had your good feet girl. You sure stay busy. I loved the big flower bush. Blessings, xoxo,,Susie

Debi said...

What a pretty day for your walk. I do love your rhododendren. You got lots of planting in today. That's my plan for this weekend... a little planting and lot of weeding!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I don’t know much about rhododendron , but that looks like a huge bush, and so pretty too.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen - you really worked hard today. I hope your plants thrive. Will look forward to some pictures of them. Have a good Friday!

Granny Marigold said...

I hope all the plants you planted thrive. Did you start the sunflowers indoors first or buy little plants? Are they the big 5 or 6 feet high ones or the smaller ornamental ones? I planted 6 or maybe 7 of the shorter ones that I think are more for bouquets than the seeds.

Angie said...

I can see why you are amazed by that rhodie! I hope your plantings turn out - in my neck of the woods, it is a bit of a mystery what works and what doesn't!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen- Good to hear you and Ken are getting lots of Plants in for Summer growth- all will look very pretty later on. Regards. KEV.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

That rhodo is huge, looks beautiful. I would like to plant some sunflowers. I need some annuals for our deck. Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Is the house too far away or the rhododendron bush too near? Life is a matter of scale. If we had a scale we could weigh both and find out.

God bless.

Brenda said...

So close. I lived in Hurricane from birth to 1968...then Huntington, WV, Summersville, WV, Circleville, Ohio, Summersville again, Hurricane again, I, WV, Florence, SC, Hurricane, WV, Bennettsville, SC, Lake City, SC, Hurricane until 2017 and now Indianapolis near family with much time in Florida with family. I have moved 30 times and visited 47 states...Did I say I like to travel? Retired as educator after graduating college in my forties with Master's at almost 60. I have a dear friend in Ft. Ashby, wV-you might not be far from there...he retired from Glenville State and a university near Ft. AShby in Maryland...or a college maybe. I love your blog. I walk five to six miles every day, but those steps are spread out inside the apartment, apartment hallways or around the buildings. Keep writing...enjoy that Brenda's pizza when it reopens.

Jeanette said...

WoW! That is a huge rhododendron! It's beautiful! All your hard work will pay off soon when everything takes hold and starts to grow and spread!

Bill said...

That rhododendron is huge and it looks gorgeous. You'll have plenty of plants and flowers to take photos of when yours begin to grow. Happy day to ya!

ellen b. said...

That's a lot of plants to plant! I do hope those plantings will survive well and bloom! That is one huge rhododendron!

Lowcarb team member said...

That rhododendron looks amazing.

You certainly deserve your ice cream after all that planting :)

All the best Jan