Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, March 23, 2020

Happy Trails Walk

 Sunrise 7:13
Didn't get up and go to town to walk this morning.
Slept in till 7:00.
After we had breakfast I did a couple of routine chores.
Then went outside and with my walking stick hiked around Happy Trails.
It was 33 degrees, windy and felt like it would rain any minute.



 Hiking on the upper road I took this picture of the little
cabin we built.


Passing by our tiny pond I saw a couple of ducks there.
First time I've seen that.
Startled them before I got a chance to take a picture
or even to know what kind of ducks.
Know they weren't Mallard ones though.
These were black and white.

I saw a few deer, squirrels, and chipmunks.

Coming back to the house I crossed the little bridge.
House is out of sight down on the right.

 
Walked outside for 3 miles until I heard thunder and then went inside.
Just got in the house and it started raining in earnest.
 Walked the other 3 miles inside.

Nice walking around in our woods at this time of year before
everything gets so over grown.
I love this time of year.

🦆     🦌     🐿

After lunch I started on my counted cross stitch project.
It's been a while since I've done one and forgot how time consuming it is
which makes it a great thing to do when you can't go anywhere.

First of all I got all the different colors of floss sorted out
which took a while. 
I put the floss through holes I cut out on a piece of cardboard.
Sometimes kits come with the floss already sorted but this one just had
the floss all jumbled up together.

Next I put masking tape around the edges of the cloth so it wouldn't
unravel.  Found the middle and was finally ready to start.

The hoop I'm using was my Gramma Green's.
She gave it to me many years ago and it is my favorite one to use.

This is what I did today.
I'll take another picture a week from today to show my progress.

 
Before I knew it the afternoon was over and it was time for supper.

Last night we started watching Faulty Towers.
Watched four episodes and will continue watching that this evening.
I need good light to do the cross stitch so I'll go back to making
weave-it squares while watching.

 No Welsh Cookies for me tonight,
I'm back to ice cream.

Thanks for stopping by.
A happy day to you.
happyone  🙂

15 comments:

Tom said...

...you folks have two lovely homes in the woods, enjoy your ice cream.

Rose said...

What a nice place you have to walk if you want to walk at home. I bet ginseng grows in your woods, or would grow. I just simply love your place. So you like Faulty Towers? I need to try it...it is one I have not tried and I don't know why.

Your counted cross-stitch is coming along.

ellen b. said...

I forgot about the little cabin. Nice! We have rain coming tomorrow...maybe. I wonder if the ducks were mergansers. Have a nice evening!

The Furry Gnome said...

I always loved this time of year in the woods too!

Debi said...

You have such a lovely place to walk. I bet it's very peaceful and quiet. I used to do cross stitch (can't now because my eyes are old!) and how long it took to get everything ready before I could start. Can't wait to see your progress.

Ruth Hiebert said...

It looks like walking along those trails would be so enjoyable . I used to do a lot of counted cross stitch, but arthritis has invaded my fingers, so it would not be easy to do now.

Hill Top Post said...

I would feel right at home walking Happy Trails with you. I also love the woods at this time of year. Before long thick green leaves will hide much of the woods, but that's okay too! Also before long, ticks will start to crawl and I have to be very careful. I am impressed with your floss organizer. I have a large binder with holes like yours where I keep my mine.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Nice views of your happy trails. The ducks can be very shy. I do love a walk in the woods. Take care! Have a happy day!

Bill said...

I love your happy trail, it's nice. The cabin is a beauty, a nice little getaway when you want some quiet time.
Enjoy your day!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You know ... your walks would make a lovely video with a voice over describing what you see.

God bless.

Jeanette said...

I used to cross stitch a long time ago when my kids were small. It was a stress reliever for me. I haven't in a long time. Maybe I'll pick up a kit and see if I still enjoy it.

William Kendall said...

The trail is quite appealing.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen. You have beautiful property. Hope you have a great day!

Sue said...

A lovely walk indeed, Karen, soon the woods will be alive with greenery and critters nesting and starting their families, we usually have Canadian geese stop by and nest, I do hope they come this year!.
I took out some cross stitching a couple of weeks ago, went through the threads, placed it in a basket and that is as far as I have gotten!
Our weather has been perfect for gardening, and i have been spending time outside..
Have a beautiful day.
Sue

Happy@Home said...

Oh, it's good to see Happy Trails again.
I gave away all of my cross stitch supplies when my eyesight was so bad. It was just too frustrating. Now, since my cataract surgery, I could probably do it again. Oh well. It will be a great project for you and I look forward to seeing the finished result.