Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, January 07, 2020

A walk before the snow

A drive into town this morning for an outside walk.
Started walking at 7:00.
It was 24 degrees, calm, cloudy and felt like snow
which it did right after I got back home.

Walked all around town.
Went up the hill behind the old house and took a picture
of Patriot and Flicka having a bit to eat.
They are Lisa's horses who I see running around town some mornings.


Back down the hill and around town some more.


 A few times around the ball park loop and then up to the
cemetery on top of the hill and around there a couple of times.

Down to the Drane house.
Haven't taken a picture of it for a while.


Stopped to say good morning to the bulls just across the way 
from the Drane house.


With the weather getting cold, warm, and cold again it makes for
lots of mud.  Today the mud is frozen.


By the time I was back to the Jeep
I walked 6 miles.

☁️   🌨   ❄️ 

We've had a snowy day today.

We drove into town when the library opened at 11:00.
Ken had a book to pick up.
I didn't plan on getting any more out because I have enough
to read for a while but I ended up checking 2 more out anyway.

A good day to puzzle, read, knit, and watch the snow fall.

Had planned on going bowling but the weather kept us home.

Finished reading The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter
by Hazel Gaynor
I thought it was very good.
It is the book that we will be discussing at Thursday's book club meeting.

That's it for today.
Thanks for stopping by.
Till next time . . .
a happy day to you.
happyone  🥰

Comment Replies:
A few of you asked about hunting and the deer at Happy Trails.
Vee - Happy Trails is posted and there is no hunting here.
Eileen - Though there is no hunting the deer wander around and could be killed off our property by hunters.  That is why I'm happy when we see our 5 out back!
Kim - We always wear bright orange walking around the woods.  I'm aware of hunters but don't worry about them.

16 comments:

Hill Top Post said...

That's a great shot of the Drane house. During what period of time was it built? You may have written about it before here, but I don't remember having read about it. I am sure you were wearing your warmest coat this morning at 24 degrees. I am happy that hunting season is over here. I am tired of wearing blaze orange!

Rose said...

The bulls look like they think you might have a treat for them! I like the Drane house, too. It looks so cold there.

John's Island said...

Hi Happyone, After a long blog break it was delightful to stop by Life is Good today and see that you are still posting great pictures taken on your daily walks. I noticed that you drove into town for the walk which seemed different but I did recognize many of those interesting scenes you have in that beautiful part of the country. It sounds like all is well with you and that is great. I send best wishes for the new year to you and Ken. Thanks for keeping an eye on John's Island and your kind comments there. John

Vee said...

Imagine that six miles is firmly etched in your DNA and you could walk anywhere and know when you’d reached six miles. Nice to see Drane House again. We’ve been up and down in weather for a while, but now I think we are in for a stretch of typical January weather up here.

Tom said...

...you have a bit more snow than we have, I've about given up on receive a nice snowfall.

Granny Marigold said...

BRRRRR. It sure looks cold out your way!

Angie said...

As long as you have no place to go, a snowy day is a delight for anyone who likes reading, crafting and doing puzzles! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Deb J. in Utah said...

My, that sounds like a cozy, warm, lovely day inside doing fun things and watching it snow. We had a cold and sunny day today, but snow is expected Wednesday and Thursday. Glad to hear you liked that book. I am always looking for book club recommendations, so may consider that one! Have a good one and I will see you again soon!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Still plenty of snow around. Your photos make me cold.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hi Karen,

I am glad your 5 deer keep showing up, they may know your property is safe and stay close by. Nice photos from your walk, I love the horses and cattle. Pretty view down the road and of the Drane House. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great week ahead.

Bill said...

Hopefully the deer that come around can stay safe during th winter. I always like to take photos of deer and moose, they are interesting animals when you can observe them. It looks very cold in your photos. It's been windy and wet here, a new year but the same old weather.
Have a great day and a happy and healthy 2020.

William Kendall said...

The bulls must be quite used to you.

Retired Knitter said...

I am sure the bulls were thinking "Its been awhile since we have seen your face. Where have you been??"

Adam said...

Cute cows

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm sure that some of the animals almost pose for you the way they look at/into the camera. Great photographs although it does look chilly!

All the best Jan

ellen b. said...

Glad you could have an outdoor walk before the snow. We understand about both frozen mud and muddy mud! :)