Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, May 03, 2019

Walking the Hilly Route

Another warm morning with the temperature at 59 degrees F.
No sun this morning though, just clouds.
Decided to walk The Hilly Route,
haven't walked that way in a long time.
At the end of my street I turned right and walked up the hill.
Walked this the other day but turned around when I got to the top
of the hill.  Today I just kept on walking along the road.
Saw a few deer and a rabbit down this way.
 At the bottom of the hill I made a left turn.
Walked along here.
Still the same road.  I'm about to walk under the highway.
I turned left just up ahead which leads me up to the highway.
Took this picture off the bridge of the road where I just walked under the bridge.
Then walked a mile up the highway to my turnoff heading home.
When I get to this spot I have walked a complete loop.
I make a right here at my street and I live at the end of it.
This is really a nice route.  Calm and peaceful.
Didn't see any cars till I got to the highway 3 miles away!

This route is only 5.2 miles but it is very hilly.
My pedometer has a feature that records how many stairs you walk up
and it showed that my walk was equivalent to 655 stairs. 
👟     👟
Ken was out when I got home having breakfast with Edd.
I made myself some chocolate chip pancakes.

Did a few things around the house and then went outside.
Worked on the fence and helped Ken look for flat stones for the
stone bridge.

A nice day with a mix of sun and clouds in the 70's.

That's it for today.
Hope you made your day a happy one.
happyone 🥰
Comment Replies:
Tom - Doing our projects IS the fun.  Yes, we have time to enjoy them too. 🙂

Rose - I leave the rock making walls to Ken!  He is getting quite good at it.  We have rock walls all over the place!!
 I enjoy making my natural fence.  It is easy and I don't need any help.

Victor - Here are a couple of close up pictures of the fence for you.  It is about 3 feet high.  I just started picking up deadfall one day and put it along the edge of our property and so started making the fence.  Thought it was better then burning it all.  I've noticed it has attracted a lot of birds too.

16 comments:

Tom said...

...Karen, from what I can see, you live in a beautiful neck of the woods.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen. Ken has sure been busy with your rock walling - just superb work...it is a wonder for sure. Regards. KEV.

Rose said...

Oh, I so love that rock wall...not that I don't like your natural fencing. I just have a thing for rocks...always have. I love the walk you went on.

o2bhiking said...

When I did marathons our coaches used to tell us "Hills are your friends!" (Because they make you stronger). You surely live in a beautiful place. I love the rock walls.

Vee said...

You have a lot of choices for your walks. Parts of this one remind me of one of the first places I found you walking...under the bridge. Glad that the temps are getting warmer.

Ruth said...

I just had to share this with you. We built a house about 20 years ago, and my husband built a rock retaining wall by the basement entrance. Had steps of larger rocks going up to the yard, It was so unique. Did have to pull vines off of it to keep it tidy. Sold the place, and the first thing the new owners did was take out that wall. They said something about snakes....it was out in the country, for goodness sake, and I would see a black snake once every blue moon, but I never saw one near that wall.

Lisa said...

You always have a beautiful walk. Around here I would be afraid to walk up the road by myself as its so dangerous. Me and Nick walk every afternoon about 3 miles around the neighborhood but we always have to watch our back.
Lisa

Ruth Hiebert said...

Looks like a great place to walk. Your place will look like a park once it’s all done.

Hill Top Post said...

I love the hilly route! And, I love the rock walls! They certainly make your home unique and even more beautiful.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You and Ken are very clever making these fences and dry walls. Well done.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Walking the hills does feel more like a workout than flat level walking. I love the views of the creek and road. The fence and walls do look great. Happy weekend!

Kerin said...

Such a pretty walking route.
Love that creek!

Have a happy weekend.
~K.

William Kendall said...

That's quite a walk.

Happy@Home said...

That does look like a pretty and peaceful walk.

Meta/roses. said...

I really loved seeing the photos of your walk. It must be very peaceful walking along the creek and listening to it's sounds.

ellen b. said...

Glad you had a nice and peaceful walking route! Lovely photos!