Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, March 23, 2019

More planters and baking

We got more snow overnight.
It was 19 degrees and windy this morning.
I put on my nice warm coat and snow sneakers and headed down the
driveway all set to walk but the snow went over the tops of my shoes
to give me cold wet ankles.
The snow plow hadn't been by yet either so I just went back in the house
and walked in the basement.

We took another day off from painting because Ken wanted
to work on his train layout and I certainly wasn't going to object.
We will get that painting done on Monday.

I made us fried bread (French toast) for breakfast.
Ken and probably most everyone else puts syrup on it.
But every since I was a kid at our house we always sprinkled a little
sugar on.  Was wondering if I was the only one who did that?

I did my usual morning stuff around the house.

The snow plow came through around 10:00.
I went out and shoveled the snow off the front steps and in front of
the garage doors.
The sun came out and a little after lunch time it got above freezing
and by the end of the day most of the snow was gone already.

Took another picture of three more of my planter collection.
 I've been wanting to make Whoopie Pies for a while now and
this afternoon I made them.
I had a recipe that I shared on my blog years ago and my blogger
friend Vee who lives in Maine gave me her recipe and told me it was
a Maine Original.
It is better than my recipe and I replaced my recipe with Vee's.
They take a while to make and you should have seen the kitchen
when I was through. What a mess I made.
 Ken walked by and said, "You sure used a lot of dishes!!!" 
 BUT it is worth it because they sure do taste good.
Ken and I shared one and I'll have another for my snack tonight.
I'll keep a couple out and freeze the rest.

If you would like the recipe you can find it
HERE
on my recipe blog.

That it for another day.
Hope your day was a happy one.
happyone
❤️

21 comments:

Tom said...

...your weather todays was a carbon copy of ours. We finally are at a time when the snow doesn't stick around for long.

Rose said...

I meant to tell you I liked the planters you showed yesterday...and I like these. The one is so nice that your grandmother saved it and gave it back to you.

I will look at the recipe a different time...I feel like all I have done today is cook and clean up the kitchen...and I still have to finish up in there. Right now cannot stand to even think about another mess. LOL

Maybe the snow will eventually be gone to stay.

Vee said...

That’s right, a Maine original and don’t let those Pennsylvanians tell you differently, ☺️ Wonder why the cookies cracked...mine don’t. I’m sure that it doesn’t change the flavor. Yup. It sure takes a lot of dishes, which is why they don’t get made too often.

No, I have never tried sugar on my French Toast, but it was a common lunch for poor folk. Mothers would sprinkle the French Toast with sugar and roll them. It was one of my grandparents’ favorite lunches at school. And they could trade up with them, too, which made them all the more valuable. Ditto for pancakes.

I like your planters all in milk glass? Sweet little boy and girl.

CountryMum said...

I had not heard of Whoopie Pies before... and was very surprised to see when I followed your link to the recipe... cream biscuits! I was imagining pies of some sort with who knows what in the centre... that was what I was curious about. They look delicious by the way.

Michelle said...

Whoopie pies are such a yummy treat. I like to eat them, but not make them!

Ivy Green said...

Powdered sugar on the French Toast.

Ivy Green said...

And butter.

Kerin said...

Sounds as though it was a good day to stay in and do some baking. I'll have to go check out your other blog and read the recipe :)

We have syrup on our French toast as well, though when I was a kid, it was always sugar and cinnamon.

Warm wishes.
~K.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh I love French toast and yes, the only way to eat it is with a sprinkle of sugar.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

You're so industrious! Glad you got a time off painting. Have a great weekend.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen- Your little Ceramic Planter Figures reminds me of some little German 'Humel' Miniature Painted Ceramic Figures I bought from a delightful shop in Bamberg Germany back in May of 2015- on our River Cruise...they are a delight- as are your three 'Planters'...I've a little Boy- standing- with a Lamb and a Little Girl- seated- with a Rabbit. 80Deg F here to-day this Autumn - bit warm. Regards. KEV.

William Kendall said...

With French toast, as well as with pancakes, I have alternated between toppings of sugar and syrup.

Carol W. said...

The 3 little children planters are so sweet! Thanks for sharing! Be blessed!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the planters are cute. The whoopie pies look yummy. I have put powdered sugar on my french toast. Happy Sunday, have a great new week ahead.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You have a great choice of planters.

God bless.

NanaDiana said...

I ate 'fried bread'the same way you did- with sugar sprinkled on top. I still don't like syrup on mine. My dad always put honey on his because we had hives on the property.
Love your sweet white planters.
I am glad you took a day or so off painting. You are coming down home row now.
Have a great Sunday- xo Diana

Happy@Home said...

I'm chuckling about Vee's comment above. Now I am curious to taste these whoopie pies. Next time I'm craving a sweet and ready to make a mess in the kitchen I think I'll give them a try.
After reading about you putting sugar on French toast I have a memory of putting powdered sugar on it as a kid. I had kind of forgotten all about that but I think we may have put some butter and then the sugar and it all melted together into a tasty treat.
Love these planters too. I had quite a few before moving, but since I no longer have shelves, most of them have moved on to new homes.

Wild Oak Designs said...

Love the little Hummel planters! Darling.
Darn you guys are cold....we have spring here in So. Calif...and I'm loving it. It was the coldest and wettest it has been here in about 10-15 years! We didn't have snow, never do...that's good, I can't do snow.
In any case, spring is coming....
Have a great weekend
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Adam said...

Cute planters

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your ceramic planter figures.

All the best Jan

ellen b. said...

That's a cute collection of planters that you have. Glad you could enjoy a stay at home day instead of painting.