Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Squares, Gift Wrapped Book and, Crock Pots

A mild 45 degrees this morning but it was a rainy foggy morning.
A little rain didn't stop me from walking though.
I put on my rain gear and wore my snow sneakers to keep my feet
dry and off I went.

Walked down a steep hill and then up a hill to town.
Walked around both cemeteries and down by the Drane house.
The horses aren't around much anymore because now
 cows are there now.
I miss the horses.

Walked back down a hill and then up a steep hill to home.
My raincoat keeps me dry for the first three miles.
After that water somehow starts to drip off the hood
and ends up going down the front of my coat and I end getting a bit wet.

No deer today, just saw a lot of cows.
No people again, just people in cars, trucks and school buses waving to me.
No walking pictures today.
Never took my phone out of my pocket, too wet.
Sure was nice to be able to be walking outside again though.
Walked 6 miles
🌧     ☔️     🌧
Sewed the third row of weave-it squares on the bedspread I'm making
this morning.  I think there is enough done now to give you an 
idea of what it will look like.
It is a yellow gingham pattern.
There will be 24 rows consisting of 24 weave-its to a row. 
144 Bright yellow
144 White
288 pale yellow
576 squares in all.
It will probably take me all year to complete it!!
🧶     🧶
After lunch we went to the old house and painted most of the afternoon.
Slowly the painting is getting done.

Before coming back home we stopped at the library to pick up a book
that was on hold for me.
When I walked in the door there was a table with books on it
that were gift wrapped with a sign that said,
Take a blind date with a book.
You're supposed to check out one of the books without knowing
what it is and unwrap it when you get home and read it.
 Thought it would be fun to see what book I'd get.
 Here's the book that was on hold for me and
the gifted wrapped book.
When you participate your name gets entered in a drawing to win
a $25 gift card from the Firefly, a business in town.
I haven't unwrapped my book yet.
Be back tomorrow to see which one I picked.

Using my new Crock Pot today for making chili.
Not for today though.  It is for Sunday.
We are having our annual Chili Bowl Day at church after the morning service.
 From yesterdays post, blogger friend Lisa was wondering about the
difference between a 
Crock Pot and a Slow Cooker.
I noticed on the front of my new Crock Pot it said this:
Which seemed to be that Crock Pot was a Brand Name
of a slow cooker and that they were the same.
I looked it up and learned that they aren't exactly the same.

The brand name Crock Pot came out in the 70's.
It has a stoneware pot surrounded by a heating element.

A Slow Cooker is a metal pot that sits on top of a heated surface.

Seems now though that most people think of a Slow Cooker as
the same as a Crock Pot.

That's it for today.
A happy day to you.
Life is Good
happyone ❤️
Comment Replies:
Tom and ChipButter - Though the back splash you noticed in yesterdays picture does look like tin, it is actually a thick plastic.  It looks like tin in person too and it cleans up very easy.  It comes in squares and we got ours at Lowe's. Had it in the old house too.

19 comments:

Rose said...

I LOVE your bedspread weave-its...I love yellow. It will be so pretty and cheerful. I need to look up How the Light Gets In...seems like I have looked at it before. I don't even know why I look, though, as I have a gazillion on my kindle.

Vee said...

Oh your new bedspread is going to be so cheerful... I do love yellow.

It was such a beautiful day today. I don’t know when my corner will see another like it. Perhaps April.

Where did the horses go? I will miss your sharing them with us.

William Kendall said...

Neat bedspread!

The wrapped book idea is done at some libraries here.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The bedspread will be beautiful.So bright and cheery.

Tom said...

...slow cooker dinner for us tonight.

Angie said...

When I wear my raincoat, I often have the same issue of rain running in my face. So I normally wear a large visor under the hood and it keeps the rain out of my face! What a neat idea at the library - it would certainly help me because I struggle sometimes to choose a book! I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

Carol W. said...

Your bedspread will look so sunny and cheerful! Thanks for sharing!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Crock Pot was a Brand name like Thermos and Hoover. But you cannot cook a meal in a Hoover.

God bless.

Kerin said...

What a cheery blanket!
First time I've heard of the wrapped book idea.. sounds like fun.

Sometimes I say "crock~pot", and sometimes I say "slow cooker", either way, I mean a way to cook low and slow in a pot .. LOL!
Our electric pressure cooker and our Instant Pot have 'slow cook' options, so I guess that would qualify them as slow cookers too :)
Years ago, I had a rectangle metal pan that sat on an electrically heated base, and also had a ceramic round pot that sat on an electrically heated element.. it was called a bean pot.
I love slow cookers, in any form with any name. Sure makes life easier~!

~K.

M.K. said...

That's interesting. I always thought the two terms were the same also. So a slow cooker is just a metal pot that you put on the stove? Hmm!
Your weave-it bedspread is very pretty! I love the bright yellow. That will be so happy! You'll enjoy it every day. It's rewarding to make something over that length of time. Nice work!

ellen b. said...

That bedspread will be a bright spot for sure. What a fun idea the library is putting out there. We need to listen to the last cd of Penny's latest book. Another good one. Hope you can see the end of the painting at your old place soon!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Always confused about slow cooker and crockpot myself, so thanks for clarifying. Glad your weather is getting warmer for walking.

Hill Top Post said...

The rain was coming down pretty good when we walked our trail this morning. I was dressed for it, and Millie didn't seen to mind because it was a warm rain. I know you have written before about the weave-it squares, so I hate to ask too many questions. You have chosen such pleasing colors from which to make the bedspread. And, it does look so soft.

Debby Ray said...

Oohhh...love the yellow gingham bedspread you are making! I also really like the white one on your bed. Is it vintage? I have always called a slow cooker a crockpot and visa versa. I have an old one from the 70s and it is actually called a Crock Watcher...go figure! :D

Retired Knitter said...

Wow, Karen that bed spread will be so beautiful. I still remember the one you did for your daughter. That one is still my very favorite. Of course, I love green, but this yellow one will be so bright and cherry! You should show your readers a picture of that one if you can find the picture.

Lisa said...

HA! Thanks for clearing that up for me on the croc-pot.

That yellow gingham is going to be soooo pretty and perfect for Spring. I'm also loving that white chenille bedspread that's on that bed in the photo!
Lisa

Melanie said...

I've used both terms Crock Pot and slow cooker interchangeably. Good to know the difference. I know mine is a Crock Pot though because that's what it says on the front! :) Lovely yellows for the strip!

Rose said...

tap*tap*tap....I am so curious to what the gift wrapped book is. Be back in a bit. LOL

Dianna said...

Karen, that white bedspread that you knitted is just gorgeous! And the yellow gingham one you are making with the weave-it squares is going to be just as gorgeous. You are talented, my friend. Thank you for telling us the difference in a crock pot and a slow cooker. I kept my crockpot when I got the Instant Pot because I can take it to church when we have fellowship meals. I made chili yesterday in the Instant Pot on the slow cooker setting and that fits your description of a slow cooker perfectly. :)