Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, December 03, 2018

Sing a little song

This morning when I left the house for my walk
at 7:00 it was 40 degrees, cloudy, and windy.
Still a bit dark but light enough to see.
I was hoping for another sunny day but at least I got to walk outside.

Walked down the hill and up to town.
Stopped at the library and dropped off a couple of books
down the book drop.
Then walked over to the post office and 
dropped a Netflix down the slot there.

Then continued to the old house.
A neighbor and friend who go to our church
told us that there were some people looking at the house
on Friday.
Don't you think our realtor should have let us know!!
Anyway I went to the house to see if a card or something was left.
No card but I could tell people were there.
The door to the basement was closed and the front screen door 
wasn't latched.
Our contract runs out with this realtor in a couple of weeks
and we are going to take the house off the market for while.

Walked back home from there.
The road coming up on the right is my turn off.
Didn't see any one else out walking or running
and no deer this morning either.
๐ŸŽ„     ๐ŸŽ„     ๐ŸŽ„
Home today doing this and that around the house.
I came across this saying while cleaning out my cookbook notebook.
I wrote it down on the back of a recipe who knows when
but I like it.

"There should be items in your home that sing a little song
to you when you walk by."
~ Nate Berkus

Here are four of those items for me.
Geraldine the Giraffe.
I bought her quite a few years ago from a friend.
Gramma's desk.
The same one who taught me how to make weave-its.
Mr Snowman sitting in the rocking chair.
The rocking chair was my mother's and
Ken's mother made the small quilt for me that sits on the back of it.
These Hummels were my mother's.  She had 150 of them
and gave most of them away to friends.
I am happy that I was able to get a few of them too.
The umbrella girl on the left I gave to her for a birthday present one
year when I was a kid.
Back then it cost $50 dollars.  I saved up $25 and my Dad gave
me the other $25 so I could buy it.
๐ŸŽ„     ๐ŸŽ„     ๐ŸŽ„
It's Monday and that means half price pizza at Brenda's.

Hope your day was a happy one.
happyone  ๐Ÿ’•

❤️     ❤️     ❤️
If you look for Me at Christmas
you won't need a special star.
I'm no longer just in Bethlehem,
I'm right there where you are.

You may not be aware of Me
amid the celebrations,
You'll have to look beyond the stores
and all the decorations.

But if you take a moment
from your list of things to do
And listen to your heart, you'll find
I'm waiting there for you.

You're the one I want to be with,
you're the reason that I came,
And you'll find Me in the stillness
as I'm whispering your name.
Love,
Jesus

Couldn't find who wrote the poem but it was in
a Christmas card a few years back.
❤️     ❤️     ❤️

21 comments:

Adam said...

I like the giraffe.

Tom said...

...I like grandma's desk!

William Kendall said...

The rocking chair is my favourite, as I'm quite partial to rocking chairs.

Inger said...

I like the giraffe too. And the house will probably sell faster in the spring. All the best with that.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love the poem.Beautiful pictures both in your house and outside.

Hill Top Post said...

I have always loved Hummel's and the story behind them. These pieces with an umbrella are especially nice for someone who likes to be out in all kinds of weather...like you!

Vee said...

I have always loved that poem, but I don’t know who wrote it either. I’m pretty sure I know Who inspired it.

Sweet things to sing to you when you walk by. I have some fake Hummels, nowhere as nice as the real deal.

Some realtors are more careful than others. There were times last winter when outside doors were left open with the furnace trying to heat all outdoors at The Ponderosa. Maddening! What a relief it will be when your property is sold, but it willl be good to take it off the market for a while.

Granny Marigold said...

Lovely poem and lovely things that you treasure and that make your heart sing. Have a great week.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

That's a beautiful desk, no doubt full of good memories.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I like all four of your items. The giraffe is cute. The Hummels are a great memory of your Mom. The poem is lovely. Have a happy day!

Henny Penny said...

The Hummels are beautiful. I especially love the one you gave your mother. That poem is really touching, and rue.

Henny Penny said...

Oops! That was supposed to be true. :)

Kerin said...

Yes. Your realtor absolutely should let you know of any interest in your home.
I like that quote about things in our homes bringing provoking a smile.
Love your Hummels. My hubby's grandma used to collect those as well.

Have a happy day, and hopefully your weather will continue to cooperate so that you can walk outside :)

~K.

M.K. said...

What a fun post! Yes, we all have those items in our homes :)
I'm glad you're switching realtors. Some are SO much better than others. Some expect the homes to sell themselves while they do little work.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love seeing the road where you walk! And the giraffe is very beautiful. We have a couple here in our house...I'll have to take pics soon! And I love the Nate quote. I think I'll put it on a little card. Enjoy your day! I started my hiking series today...wish you were close enough to hike with me! Hugs!

happyone said...

That sure would be nice!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Lowcarb team member said...

I have a friend that loves giraffes … I know she would like Geraldine :)

All the best Jan

Pom Pom said...

I love all the things that make you sing a song when you walk by! xo

Farm Girl said...

What lovely thoughts and what nice pictures today. I think your walk sounds fantastic.

GretchenJoanna said...

That is a wonderful quote and thought to muse on. I can well imagine your giraffe singing to you, and all the other things, too. Rocking chairs are priceless!

I also appreciate your example in getting outdoors in any weather and your pleasure in it. I am having a hard time transitioning to winter that way!

Rose said...

I have been reading through a few of your posts...I liked another poem but oh, this one makes me cry...just so, so good. (I cry very easily these days.) Just had to tell you how much I liked it.