Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, September 01, 2018

A big dog

Another sunset from my front porch.
Last Night
This is the shelf in our closet that Ken made yesterday.
This morning I left for my walk at 6:35 and it was once again 64 degrees.
Cloudy with a breeze.
Walked down the hill to the main road and turned left up the hill 
and headed to town.

About half way up the hill down a driveway came a huge dog
barking and running across the road at me.
I got out my pepper spray and hopped over the guardrail.
Once I was on the other side of the guardrail he backed off
and went behind a house.  BUT a few minutes later I saw him again
coming from behind another house as I passed by.  
He seemed to be going to town too.  

I made it to town without seeing him again.
I called Ken to ask him if he would pick me up at the old house
because I was afraid to go back down the street again.
So he came to get me.

By the time he got there I was about in the middle of town heading back home 
and as I was walking I saw the dog again between 2 houses in town.
He didn't see me so I backed up slowly.
Two men were sitting on a porch and watched me to go by
and then back up.
I walked over to them and told them about the dog
and that was when Ken arrived and I hopped in the car.
Ken was on his way to the Men's Prayer Breakfast so he drove me a ways
down the road and I walked the rest of the way home.

I'd rather take my chances with bears, at least they run AWAY from you. 😊
When I got back home I walked up the path behind my house
to make up the rest of my 6 miles.
Coming back to the house.
🐕     🐕
I made the rest of the Snickerdoodles for the Sunday school kids tomorrow.

We started constructing a fence around the propane tank in the yard.
We got four holes dug for the posts and then took a break and
walked up to the tractor barn and rode the ATV back to the house.
 Now that I sold my car we have an extra bay in the garage for that
and the snow blower.

It was sunny when we started out but when we got to the tractor barn
the sky was getting dark.
We just got back to the house when the thunderstorm came along and
brought with it lots of rain.
We sat on the porch and watched the rain.
The sun came out again and Ken continued to work on the fence
and I went inside to make supper.

And so ends another day.
Relaxing evening of reading, Netflix, and making weave-its.
I've started the next baby blanket and this time trying to do a Gingham pattern
with a peach color and white.

Hope your Saturday was a good one.
Life is Good
happyone  💕

"Do not take for anything for granted -
not one smile
or one rainbow
or one breath,
or one night in your cozy bed."
~ Terri Guillemets

20 comments:

Tom said...

...you should rent seating on your porch for sunset viewing.

Vee said...

Well here you are having an adventure with a dog while Diane at Lavender Dreamer was having an adventure with a coyote. I’m not sure walking is good for a person. 😉 Teasing, just teasing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog :-)

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh that sunset, it's gorgeous.

Have a good weekend.

All the best Jan

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hate that the dog came after you.....that is very scary! I had to call to get picked up one time because fireworks were going off next to the road and making me jump with every bang! I will buy pepper spray before I hike again. Thats smart! hugs

Ivy Green said...

Dog should not be loose like that. Hope its owner gets it under control. You should not be harassed while walking.

Granny Marigold said...

How smart to carry pepper spray. I'm so afraid of dogs that I'm sure I would too if I needed to.
It was a lovely day here too. I got a bit too much sun in my face and my cheeks are quite red.

Adam said...

I always hates loose dogs when I walked my dog. Luckily we got by unharmed, but there were some close calls.

Ruth Hiebert said...

It seems a good idea to be cautious around a strange dog.I love the sunset views you are getting.

Geraldine said...

That's a scary story about the dog, I'm glad you're ok and also that you didn't have to spray him. So much about animal's behavior is from how they are cared for.

The first and last photos are my favorites, so beautiful.😂

Wishing you a wonderful, safe and productive week!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Praise the Lord you're safe.

That shelf is better than mine. Mine was leaning to one side. So I went out and put some extra bricks under the house on one side until the shelf became straight again.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, sorry your walk was interrupted by the big dog. I am glad it did not attack, I wonder if it was a stray or just running loose. Love the pretty sunset. Your shelf looks great. Have a happy Sunday and a great new week ahead!

happyone said...

Yes, it is not the dogs fault but the owners.

Retired Knitter said...

Glad you had pepper spray. That is a good idea for anyone out walking - for any reason. Think I will go buy me some!!!

ellen b. said...

Sorry about that dog encounter. I am never comfortable around dogs unleashed and free to roam and come towards me aggressively. Enjoying the new views from your home!

Kerin said...

Goodness, I am so glad that you are safe. How frightening to have that big dog come after you like that.
Your scenery is gorgeous and I'm so glad that the rest of your day was lovley.

~K.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

it's upsetting that people don't take care of their animals and let them run wild. Too many sweet family dogs can turn into a dangerous animals when they get let out to run with a pack of other dogs.

Henny Penny said...

I'm glad you called Ken to pick you up. I am so afraid of dogs. I sure admire you for walking 6 miles a day. Your house is so pretty and in such a pretty place.

Angie said...

Oh my. I don't like big dogs. When we lived in town, there was a dog that could jump a six-foot fence and come after when I was running past. Don't you think the owners should do something about these types of dogs? You should have to be afraid to walk/run in your own neighborhood! I would love to sit on my porch and watch it rain, but none in the forecast for the foreseeable future … Love the quote, especially the part about a comfy bed!

Aritha V. said...

Dogs must be kept on a leash in the Netherlands. My husband is really afraid of all dogs. But a bear on your path is not that nice either. Your new home is so beautiful! And you always write so "cozy". That is an important thing: cosiness. It means you cherisch the good things, sharing it with us. Beautiful writing style. Photo 1 is "een topper".