Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, August 19, 2013

Friendly cows

60 degrees this morning and just cloudy when I left for my walk.  A mile later a light mist started and later still the mist came down harder and left me pretty damp, but not soaking.  About a mile from home it stopped and I dried off some by the time I got home.  It kept me cool.  : )

I retired another pair of walking shoes.  I bought 4 pair the last time I bought walking shoes because I really liked them so just had to go in my closet and get new ones.

Didn't get to see the hay all rolled up like I thought I would from the other day when the farmer cut the hay down.  It was already rolled and carted away.  He did fast work.

Walking past one of the farms some cows ran down to the fence to see me.  I stopped to talk to them and when I started walking they walked along the fence till we got to the end.
It was a quiet walk and I didn't see any one.  A few goldfinches and that was about it, but it was peaceful and great to be out walking.

I walked 6.2 miles which was 12,084 steps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have a few little projects around the house that we would like to do.  One is to change the light fixtures in the two bathrooms on the main floor.  There is a small bathroom off the master bedroom which is Ken's and another smallish bathroom in the hall right next our bedroom which is mine.  It is nice to for us each to have our own bathroom. : )  Anyway today we got the new light fixtures for both rooms.  We are also replacing the faucets in both rooms.  Not putting them in today but the first step is to buy them right?

I got a message on my phone from the library saying King Peggy is there waiting for me to pick it up (that is the book club selection) so I walked over there and got it.  When I walked in the library it was nice to hear, "Hi, Karen."  They already know me there. : )
Back home I got the book 'ready to read'.  When I first start a book, I like to read the jacket of the book, then read all the pages to where the book actually starts.  Then I put in a marker, close the book and will actually start reading the book later.  Writing that, it sounds a bit odd, but I do it to all the books I read.

That's what I've been up to today so far. 
Hope you're enjoying your Monday.
happyone : )
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

8 comments:

Vee said...

It is my sneaking suspicion that the reason you are already known is because you are willing to be known. It says as much about you as it does about your new community! I enjoyed reading about your process for beginning a book. Sometimes I take wide arcs around books before settling in, which I think is even more strange than what you do! Ha!

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE the COWS in your header!!!
So glad all is working out for you in your new community!!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Love the picture of the cows. They're pretty. And how awesome that the librarian already knows your name :)

Deb J. in Utah said...

You will have to write a review of that book. I don't think what you do before you actually begin reading is odd at all because we teach our students to do something very similar. You are actually preparing your brain to receive the information in the book - we call it "building background knowledge." You would get an A in my class for doing that!! Glad you had some spare shoes. I also buy more than one pair when I find some I really like. My daughter will be at Ft. Mead. She said it is near D.C. and Anapolis. Enjoy the rest of the day!

Nellie said...

I will be interested in hearing your opinion of "King Peggy." That is one of the books in the Leadership Development category on the UMW Reading List for 2014.

It sounds like you will have a few projects underway soon. Yes, the first step is to BUY the fixtures.:-)

Enjoy the rest of the day!

Retired Knitter said...

Thank you for returning the cows to your header. It is such a great picture.

Happy@Home said...

I thought it was interesting to read about how you prepare to read your books. If I am trying to decide which book to start first I read the first page and go with the one that calls my name. I think I read this idea in a book when I was a kid. Seems to work most of the time.

o2bhiking said...

I like the cows in the header, too.