Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, August 19, 2023

August 1928 Better Homes and Garden


Driving to town this morning I saw a couple of deer and some rabbits.
Started my walk at 6:25 and sunrise was at 6:32.
It was 52 degrees, calm and sunny once it came over the mountain.

Walked around both cemeteries, the ball park and then all around town.
No other walkers out this morning but did see a couple people fishing at the pond.

I took a picture of the side of the house that I posted a couple of days ago so you could see it from another angle.
 

Pretty quiet around town.
Morning Walk Steps were 13,097.

☀️         ðŸ¥¾         ðŸ™‚

We had breakfast and then left to bring our garbage to the dump and on the way back stopped in at G&W Lumber.

I had put a load of clothes in the washer just before we left.
Back home again I hung the clothes out, did a couple of quick chores and drove back to town and was in the library knitting at 10:00. 
I finally got around to going to the knitting group that meets at the library Saturday mornings.
There were just a few of us but it was nice meeting some new people.
We all left about 11:30.

I left the Jeep at the library and walked over to the new antique shop in town,
A Happy Accident Antique to have my first look around.
There is just one room ready for now but it will be growing bigger as Lin and her husband renovate more of the house.
I wanted to buy a little something to show my support and ended up buying this August 1928 Better Homes and Garden magazine for $8 in excellent condition!!


I've been enjoying looking through it and reading the articles.

Thought you might enjoy having a peek in side.









Happy Saturday and thanks for stopping by.
happyone



19 comments:

Tom said...

...$8 is a good price for those vintage memories!

Billie Jo said...

Hello! Happy Saturday! The house is lovely!!! And I so enjoyed the wonderful magazine articles and photos. Thank you for sharing, and have a cozy evening!

Deb J. in Utah said...

That old magazine is pretty neat. I have some old vintage books and magazines and looking through them is like stepping back in time. I like that red brick house you photographed. The brick porch at the side is especially nice. I am wondering if you know the people who live there. It looks like a well-loved home. Glad you were able to join the knitting group and get to know some more people. Have a good Sunday. See you then!

Happy@Home said...

I love the side view of that house. So cute!
I also like the name of the antique store. How fun to peek through the magazine with you. I enjoyed that walk down memory lane.

Granny Marigold said...

That 1928 magazine is a treasure. I like the house they featured a lot more than the style of houses being built now.
The ad for home water system made me smile. End the Slavery of the Water Bucket. For only $70. I'm not sure what that would be in today's money but it sure wasn't cheap.

Mari said...

You had another beautiful morning!
The magazine was well worth $8. So interesting!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a find! And it only cost a dime at that time. I remember when candy bars were a nickel, so were two scoop cones.

Ginny Hartzler said...

P.S. The button looks like a coat button.

eileeninmd said...

Pretty morning for a walk. I love the house, it is cute.
The antique store sounds like a fun place to explore.
The vintage magazine was a good purchase.
Have a great day and happy new week!

Ann said...

That house is so charming. I would love to see if the charm carries into the inside.
Great find with that magazine. When I was growing up we had one of those wringer washers.

Kerri Farley said...

That vintage magazine was an awesome find! And your button makes me think of a smiling sunflower :).

susan q said...

We have come a long way since 1928. My family had a Maytag washer like the one pictured. Love the brick house in town. Another great day for you, Karen♥

Sandi said...

Glorious sun!

Jeanette said...

That is an interesting magazine!

Debbie said...

Wow! What a treasure those stories are! And now that I see that house from another angle, it makes much more sense :)

Bill said...

Those old magazines are fun to read and look at the old ads too.

Lowcarb team member said...

I enjoyed the peek at the old magazine ...

All the best Jan

ellen b. said...

Such an interesting magazine to peruse! I like the black button.

William Kendall said...

How things change!