Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The Old Potato Peeler

 37 degrees this morning when I walked.
A nice sunny morning with a slight breeze.

Sunrise 6:45
Morning Walk Steps 12,811

Today I walked around both of the cemeteries first thing when I got to town.
One of the farm workers was already in the field
spreading manure around.


Made another visit over to see the cows.

Not a very good picture but a calf was just born and Farmer
Marvin was helping it get to mom to start eating. 
It was a bit unsteady on its feet yet.
Don't think FM even knew I was there.
I didn't say anything because he was obviously busy.


From there I walked to the ball park and around it a couple of times.
Then continued on down the road and up behind our old house in town.

Up and down the main road and some of the side streets 
and that ended my walk.


Kids back to school today so the school buses and extra cars were around again.

Didn't see any other walkers.

๐Ÿฅพ    ๐Ÿ˜Š    ๐ŸŒค    ๐Ÿ„

Food shopping day and we shopped at Casslemans this time.
Got everything put away and then made Potato Salad.
Peeling the potatoes I thought about how old my potato peeler is.
It is the only one I've ever had and bought it when we first got married.
This peeler is 51 years old and still works as good as it did when I got it.
On the inside it says,
Skyline Made in England.


Had some house chores to do this morning and didn't quite get
finished by lunchtime.
So after lunch I cleaned the bathroom first before going outside.

Worked on building my natural fences.

This is one of my favorite rocks. It holds water and I've seen
a deer drink from it a time or two.


Worked for a couple of hours and then sat on the porch for a while and read. 
Took a picture while sitting there.
My feet got in the picture too.


Sunny all day and the temperature was in the mid 60's.

The Potato Salad I made this morning went along with
the hamburgers I made for supper.

That's it for now.
Thanks for poppin' in for a visit.
Happy Tuesday
๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿป‍๐Ÿฆณhappyone๐Ÿ˜Š

Comment Replies:
John - Burned my old journals because some of the things I wrote I just as soon forget.  Like past heartaches and hurts.  Would rather they stay in the past and let me concentrate on enjoying the day I have now.

A like this Bil Keane quote

Yesterday's the past, 
tomorrow's the future, 
but today is a gift. 
That's why it's called the present.

16 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

I especially like your third photograph here ... and I do like the Bil Keane quote.

All the best Jan

Tom said...

...we had one of those. I like our new XOX peeler.

Michelle said...

Like Tom, I have an XOX peeler and have had it for years. Nothing like a good thing to make life easier!

ellen b. said...

What a beautiful day for walking and sitting out in the sunshine. That's one great kitchen tool to last so long!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen. You had quite a busy day today. I like your philosophy about burning your journals. I think I will pray on it and decide if maybe I should destroy mine. You are sure right about letting go of past hurts and heartbreak. No reason at all to hold on to negative. You have another good day tomorrow.

John's Island said...

Karen, Thank you (again) for the reply. I hear you about the past. Yes, I agree, that is a fine quote from Bil Keane. The "present" moment is really the only moment we have. Kind regards from Seattle. John

William Kendall said...

That peeler was made to last.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have this same peeler, and have had it for about 51 years, too!!! I have since bought several more, but still always come back to the trusty old one.

Hootin Anni said...

I have one of those peelers...somewhere. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sweet calving season

Ann said...

I had one of those potato peelers for the longest time. Somehow it got bent really bad and I ended up having to buy a new one

Debbie said...

I love that quote! The only reason to look back, is to remember the times God taught you or rescued you. That builds your faith for the future (and the present). Looks like a lovely day and a trusty old potato peeler :)

Barwitzki said...

Exactly today is a gift... so let's make the day beautiful for ourselves... so that it will also be beautiful for others.

Debi said...

Another lovely walk! Baby calves are so cute. I love the quote at the end of your post. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Bill said...

You had a nice fine day with great weather. The last few days here have been windy and wet. :(

Ruth Hiebert said...

I have a potato peeler just like yours. For some reason I rarely use it, i prefer to use a knife to peel potatoes.

Granny Marigold said...

The potato peeler we have is still the one we had way back when too. We've tried others but come right back to this one.
Looks like it was a sunny day yesterday; I hope today was as well.