Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, January 27, 2023

Bosson Heads

Another day getting my steps walked in the basement.
More snow and icy in town.

 Finished up the housework for the week.

Now that the afghan is done I'm back to making weave-it squares
for next months baby blanket.

🌨    ☁️    ⛅️

Bosson Heads are chalkware figures which were made
 in Congleton, England from 1946 to 1996.
When we lived in Scotland back in the 70's I collected them.
They were inexpensive at just a couple of pounds each so I bought
quite a few of them during the 4 years we lived there.

Only six of them have survived over the years and they
had a couple of places where the paint chipped off.
The other day Ken touched them up with his train paints
and today I hung them up around the house.

The Boatman


Rumania


Curd


Lifeboatman


Sea Captain


The Smuggler


🚜    🚜

After lunch we went outside.
I tried to do some snow shoveling but there were layers
of ice, snow, ice, and more snow which made it about impossible.
Ken did what he could with the tractor and at least now
we can drive up and down the driveway.
While he was on the tractor I walked around in the snow.

All kinds of weather today, snow, wind, cloud, and a couple of peeks
of the sun for a minute or two here and there.


That's all I have for today.
Thanks for stopping by.
Hope your day was a happy one.
👩🏻‍🦳happyone😊


A person who never made a mistake 
never tried anything new.
- Albert Einstein

22 comments:

Debby said...

Wow, the detail is amazing. Why were you in Scotland?

The Furry Gnome said...

Those figures are really impressive!

Tom said...

...the sea captain is my favorite. Watch out for the ice.

Ginny Hartzler said...

These are wonderful, such great expressions! Are they sculptures, paintings..I know you said chalkware but I don't really know what that is.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, I learned something today about Bosson Heads. I never knew that. I would be interested to see some of the locations in your home where you hung them. They look so cool! I hope things warm up a bit for you this weekend. See you again soon!

Kim said...

I've never heard of Bosson heads. What an interesting thing to collect! I'd probably be creeped out by them if I encountered them at night walking through a dimly-lit house. 😶

Jennifer said...

Those heads are so interesting. I have never heard of those...how nice that your husband was able to touch them up as needed. Talented:) Amazing that you not really that far from where I am....and yet your weather is so completely different. I just find that interesting:) Have a great weekend -

William Kendall said...

The smuggler is my favourite.

ellen b. said...

Fun chalkware heads. I was breaking up some ice on our drive so it would melt faster. We are supposed to get some more snow tomorrow but not much. Have a good weekend.

Hill Top Post said...

Some interesting characters here. It would be fun to make up stories about each one. Ken is quite talented with those train paints!

Hootin Anni said...

Exceptional work By Ken, and extraordinary artwork. I love your shares today. Now, did you group them together in one room...or throughout your home??!!

Ann said...

Those Bosson heads are amazing. So much detail in them.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

These are antiques now. Treasure them.

God bless.

Debbie said...

They look very realistic! Those will be a collector's item, for sure!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The chalkware heads are amazing, awesome details. Ken did a great job touching up the paint. Have a happy weekend.

Jeanette said...

I've never heard of them before! Interesting!

Bill said...

Those Bosson heads are very impressive. The boatman is my favorite.

Vee said...

Intriguing the Bosson heads...never heard of them. Do they hang together as a collection? I do like the seaman. The others are uniquely weird. ☺️

Granny Marigold said...

Great that Ken could touch up any chips on the Bosson heads. I haven't heard of them either. They're unique.
It sounds like you're getting very wintery weather. Hopefully you can walk outside (safely) very soon.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like the Bosson Heads, their faces all have great character.

All the best Jan

Rose said...

I did not know Einstein said that...my mom said that quite often. The heads are very interesting to look at.

Retired Knitter said...

I love those Bosson Heads. I can see why they would spark the development of a collection. So detailed and interesting.