Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, June 02, 2022

Back to Farm Land

 Woke up to rain this morning.
Debated whether to wear my rain pants and slicker
but it was 62 degrees and I would have been too warm
so just left with my umbrella.

It is just 2.2 miles to town and by the time I drove there
the rain had stopped and it was cloudy when I walked
and even saw the sun for a bit.


Walked around both cemeteries, the ball park and around town.

This little stream is behind the ball park.
Looks like someone was playing in the water.


Saw Rebecca out walking.
Farmer Marvin (Rebecca's Uncle) drove past in his truck and stopped to say hi.
He told me about the property he just bought down the road from
our house.  
It was originally farm land but was sold to a developer
about 20 years ago and a development was planned with 21 houses.
No one ever bought any of the lots and so it just sat there.
Farmer Marvin has been trying to buy the land for years and the man 
who owned the land died and it was then put up for sale.
Farmer Marvin is now trying to get the land designated 
back to farm land. Something that is apparently hard to do and so the
legal battle continues.

Don't know what these little purple flowers are.


Doesn't this red pop out!!

Dare to be different.

Nice to be out early and walking.
Walked 6 miles

🌥    🥾    🌸  

The library doesn't open till 11:00 so couldn't pick up my book
while walking so went back to town later in the day
and picked up the next Charlotte and Pitt book that was on hold. 
Then came home and started reading it!

Spent some time knitting too.
This evening I'll make some weave-it squares.

That's it for today.
Thanks for stopping by.
A happy Thursday to you. 🤗
👩🏻‍🦳 happyone ❤️

21 comments:

Tom said...

...the purple flowers look like Tradescantia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen. I love the wild flower pictures you posted today. I hope that Farmer Marvin is successful in getting the zoning on the land changed back to farmland. I am betting that you and Ken would probably prefer that as well. Glad you had a nice walk and didn't get too wet. I will have to look up those books you are reading and see if I might enjoy them. See you again tomorrow. :-)

Tasha said...

hello, I'm new to your blog and just got back into blogging. the flowers are very pretty

Debby said...

That red flower is pretty. I'd much prefer farm land to 20 some houses. But that's me...

Nellie said...

Oh, I hope Farmer Marvin is successful! There is such a movement here to develop what was once farmland into sub-divisions - three houses to an acre! I’ve never heard of restoring a previous agriculture rezoning, though that’s what I’d prefer!

William Kendall said...

That red does stand out.

Mari said...

I agree with Nellie, I hope the farmer succeeds!
Yes, that flower is Tradescantia, but it's also called spiderwort. We have some in our back yard.

Rose said...

I think the common name for that purple flower is Spiderwort...I should know that red one but I cannot think what it is. I hope that Farmer Marvin is successful in getting the land rezoned.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I sure hope the land gets converted back to farmland. Looks like the weather cooperated with your walk! The blue flowers are beautiful; I don't know what they are either.

ellen b. said...

Glad things shaped up for your walk. That's too bad it's a legal battle to get that land back to farmland. Have a good evening.

Vee said...

Yup, spiderwort. I used to have some in my garden, but it died out.

Hope that Farmer Martin is successful. It is unbelievable the controls put on farmers and farming.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Beautiful close-ups of the flowers. Thanx.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Pretty flowers. I hope all goes well with Farmer Marvin. I would much rather see farm land than a housing development. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

Galla Creek said...

Your dainty flower is called Virginia Spiderwort. It is called “spider” wort or spider lily is because when the stem of a spiderwort is cut, “a viscous stem secretion is released which becomes threadlike and silky upon hardening (like a spider's web), hence the common name,”

I had no idea you had to drive this far to walk. When we go to the park it’s 5 or 6 miles. I admire your dedication to walking. You inspire me to walk far!

Melanie said...

I sure wish I had a nice place to walk around my apartment complex. I pretty much have to drive to a walking trail. And then there's Cades Cove which has beautiful walks but it's about a hour away. I actually went to our library yesterday for the first time. I've been checking out e-books but just about every book I want has a wait period. The library has plenty of what I want.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Ohhh I love Farmer Marvin!!!!

What a wonderful man. Trying to save this land.

Wonnnnderful man!!!!!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I think kids the whole world over will play in a stream if they can, it's something I always loved to do when I was young

Granny Marigold said...

That red flower in the middle of all the frothy white makes such a lovely picture!
I noticed that several people have identified the purple flower as Spiderwort. Mine has also just begun to bloom.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, that red really does stand out, it makes a very lovely photograph.

All the best Jan

Hill Top Post said...

Add me to the list of followers who are behind Farmer Marvin. I enjoyed the pictures in this post so much.

Anonymous said...

Blogger seems to publish my comments and when I come back they have disappeared!!!

So I am going to try as anonymous.

That red flower definitely stands out, a great photograph.

All the best Jan
(from the low carb diabetic)