Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Tar Bubbles

When I walked to town this morning it was 66 degrees,
breezy, cloudy, and a little spritzing of rain from time to time.
Didn't bother with the umbrella because the rain kept me cool.

Walked around both cemeteries a couple of times and
then home again.

No people about and just the usual deer and rabbits
here and there.


Seems to me there is a lot more Queen Anne's Lace around this year
than usual.  It is all over the place.

Walked 5.7 miles

☁️     ๐Ÿ™‚     ๐ŸŒง

Finished sewing the latest baby blanket up this afternoon.
Put the orange in to brighten it up a bit.


Already started on the next blanket.  
Using up more yarn on hand, a green, pink, white variegated color.
Also have some yellow I'll use in it too.
The yarn is a light weight and will be nice for summer.
Since I'm already into September's blanket, will save the above
blanket for fall the light weight one I've started will be for August.
Once I finish this one I'll work on the yellow gingham
bedspread I'm making for us.

๐Ÿงถ

On some roads when it gets hot the black tar melts and forms
tar bubbles.  Looking at a tar bubble the other day made me
think of the tar bubble incident when I was about 8 years old.
Walking along with my friend Timmy, we came across some of these
tar bubbles.  It was really hot that day and not only were there bubbles
but a whole mess of tar had softened up and was nice and gooey.
We just couldn't pass this up.
Started popping the bubbles with sticks and then thought who needs sticks,
so we used our fingers.  Not stopping at the popping we got some leaves
and made tar sandwiches and had all kinds of fun with the tar.
Then we realized we were pretty much covered in tar and it wouldn't come off.
 We both eventually went home.
Well, my mother was not very happy to see me!! ๐Ÿ˜ 
My clothes had to be thrown away.
Not sure what my mom used to get the tar off of me
but I'm thinking it was probably turpentine.
She was mad and not too gentle about getting the tar off me!! ๐Ÿ˜ 
I never played in tar again!!
     ⚫️     
 It's been mostly cloudy today but did see the sun for a little while.
Heard thunder but we just got a minute or two of rain.

That's it for today.
Thanks for stopping by.
A happy day to you.
Life is Good
Look for the good in your day.
happyone  ❤️
Comment Replies:
Vee - No, I don't cut Ken's hair or anyone else's!!!  Ken cuts his own hair and has for years.  Our daughter Debbi has always cut her own hair too.  Ken's grandfather was a barber - must run in the family!

16 comments:

Terra said...

I like the colors of autumn in the blanket you made. The road or path you show looks a beautiful shade of light purple. Well, my eyes are still dilated from my eye exam, and that its how it looks to me.

Tom said...

...we are enjoy a bumper crop of Queen Anne's Lace and chicory here, they are beautiful.

Susie said...

What an adorable blanket. I like the mix of colors. We had queens anne lace in every ditch 3 years ago. This year there lots of white clover everywhere. I think the bees are happy. Oh I have to thank you for the laugh. I laughed the whole time I was reading about the tar. When we were kids we would go barefoot all summer. Our city used to oil(tar) the alleys and my siblings and I always had tar on our feet. Seems that was a constant complain of mommy's. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Ruth Hiebert said...

The queen Anne's Lace flowers are so pretty. I enjoyed reading about your tar incident. I am sure Mother was not very happy.

Vee said...

The blanket is very nice...like those autumnal colors. Your tar story...oh boy! I'm pretty sure that was a challenge for your mother to deal with. ๐Ÿ˜† The barbers in your family save lots of $ that's for sure.

Rose said...

What a fun story...about playing in tar...

Debi said...

I loved your tar story! Made me laugh... I can imagine how upset your mother must have been.

Granny Marigold said...

The latest baby blanket is so pretty and definitely makes me think of Fall.
Bubbles of hot tar would be very hard for a child to resist I think.

susan q said...

Oh those childhood memories later on down the road are entertaining but when they happened, not so much. I had a question regarding the weave it blankets. Is the weight of them depending upon the weight of the yarn such as a #4 worsted weight heavier than a #3 yarn? Do you sew them together with a blanket stitch? Sorry for the questions. I must have missed your comments about them from an earlier post. I have never seen anyone else on Pinterest or Instagram making this type of blanket. They must be a very sturdy long lasting blanket or lap robe. Much clover in my yard this year for some reason.

ellen b. said...

Oh my...that tar story. Fun until you have to go home and face your mom. Your baby blanket reminds me of the colors we chose when we got married . Looks real nice. Queen Anne's Lace is nice! Since you are 3 hours ahead of us happy Friday to you!

Deb J. in Utah said...

That is so cool that you can all cut your own hair. That's a great family talent. Funny story about the tar - although I know when you got home, your mom definitely did not thing it was funny at all. That's a lovely blanket. Looks like a fall blanket. Have a happy Friday!

Hill Top Post said...

I can't help wondering how many little blankets you have made. This one is especially nice and colorful. I read backward to catch up with you, which I enjoyed. The farm loop is my favorite of your walks, but I realize it is a longer walk...6.9 miles. We live 7 miles from the nearest country store and station. I can't help wondering if I could make it that far. :~/ I was especially drawn to your clouds and Queen Anne's lace pictures...so cool looking on a hot day.

Hootin Anni said...

It'd be nice to be able to cut your own hair!

Giggled at the tar story...at my grandma's house there was a shed with tar roofing. We used to climb up and pop the bubbles in summer! Fun to actually use our imagination to entertain ourselves back then (instead of video games).

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

We have lots of the Queen Anne's Lace here too, I like seeing it..
Your blanket is pretty.. I have trimmed my hair over the years, especially during the last 6 months. The tar story is funny. Take care, stay safe! Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!

Bill said...

Nice blanklet and a funny tar playing story.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Lowcarb team member said...

I think your latest baby blanket looks great.
Many thanks for sharing the tar story :)

All the best Jan