Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Saturday


Drove the Jeep to town and started walking at 7:00.
Another warm morning, 45 degrees, calm and cloudy.
Sunrise 7:37

This morning again I walked over to the library and dropped
a DVD down the slot.
We watched David Copperfield by Charles Dickens last evening.
It was good but seemed to end very abruptly.
Read the book years ago and actually have a copy
so decided to read it again to see if it ends the same way.
The book has over 800 pages in it and the print is very tiny.
I've read a couple chapters of it and will be reading it in
between the library books I've gotten out.

Back to my walk.
After the library I walked around town and then over to the 
industrial park and walked around in there.






Wondered what this sign was all about 
and then it hit me.
There was a Christmas decorating contest in town.  This was in front of the business winners.  Another sign and bow was in the yard of the old Victorian house in town 
which won in the residential category.






Left the industrial park and went back through town and around the ball park loop.
At one point it looked like the clouds would give way to some sun
but by the time I got back to the Jeep it was just cloudy again. 

Once again it was very quiet around town.
Walked 6 miles

☁️     🌤     🌤

Got a bunch of house stuff done in the morning.
Thought about putting hanging the clothes outside on the line
but wasn't to sure about the weather.
  Looking back I should have because the sun
came out in the afternoon.

Got the makings of Chili in the slow cooker first thing this morning.
We had the chili this evening for supper in taco salad.
Plenty chili left over for tomorrow.
(chili always tastes better the next day)

This afternoon we went out and got a few errands done.

That's been my Saturday.
Till next time . . .
a happy day to you.
happyone  🥰

Comment Replies:
Diane (LD) - No, I have never worked on a doll house.  Ken's sister Kathy has though, and did an excellent job.  Must run in the family. 🙂

Deb - A Fatal Grace is book number two in the Louise Penny series.  First one is Still Life which Ken is about to start.  I would recommend reading them in order.

Rose - Haven't seen any of those movies that you mentioned.

12 comments:

Rose said...

I have been thinking about chili, too...but think I am going to fix navy beans first!

I looked at Netflix, but we have streaming and not discs so I could not tell if they had it or not. I really hope they do cause I think you will enjoy them. They are so well done...

When we first joined netflix, their website was so much better.

Tom said...

...I love the tree line in your last image!

Deb J. in Utah said...

We are colder than you are. It is has been a sunny, but bitter cold day our here in Utah. Thanks for your advice about the Louise Penny books. I will try to get the first one in the series. I haven't read or seen David Copperfield - good for you for undertaking reading such a long classic! See you tomorrow. Have a good Sunday!

Happy@Home said...

We had chili for dinner last night too. It hit the spot after too many Christmas sweets :).

Granny Marigold said...

I wish I could have seen the old Victorian house that won the decorating contest. I imagine it looked lovely. I used to want to live in a Victorian house but now I'm glad I have a smaller space to keep tidy!!

William Kendall said...

That last shot is stunning.

Hill Top Post said...

It has been a long time since I read David Copperfield. I am not sure I am up to rereading it now! Just as I thought, I got to use my new umbrella today. It even held up well in gusts of wind. I also love your last photo, but I really like the old barn too.

Connie said...

You made me want chili, I'll have to see if it sounds good to Steve. Chemo plays havic with his taste buds. I love reading about your walks; you are so inspiration.

o2bhiking said...

You and I were both cooking yesterday. I made Spartan chicken, a Greek dish. It was quite good, if I do say so.

o2bhiking said...

For your friend Connie: I had cancer 17 years ago and you are right, the chemo completely messes up what tastes good, even when you are not feeling a sick. Generally very little of what I usually loved to eat tasted good. But my wife bought a special cookbook on cooking for cancer patients, and it was really helpful to us. I cannot remember the name. Best wishes to your husband and you. I know it is very difficult, but stay strong and positive, and the time just passes by and then you are yourself again.

ellen b. said...

You just gave me an idea on what to make for dinner. Chili sounds real good! Hope your Christmas was good.

Adam said...

It was warm for winter yesterday here as well. I didn't have to de-ice my car.