Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, December 20, 2019

Friendly Dogs

I walked a mile in the house waiting for it to get light out,
then headed out the door at 7:25 for a walk outside.
It was 17 degrees, but calm and no wind.
Too early yet for the sun to be shining but once
it came over the mountain we had a sunny day.
Sunrise 7:34


Walked to the end of my road and then made a right up
the hill instead of walking to the main road.

Walked passed the house of one of our neighbors who live about a mile away
 and as I walked by, 2 dogs came running out of the yard.
They were both Labs though and very friendly.
I've never met a mean Lab. 
When I continued on my way they both started following me
up the road.  We were getting pretty far from their house so I turned 
around and walked back to their house.
Just then the owner came along in his truck to collect the dogs.
He apologized about the dogs and then we had a little chat. 

I've seen him pass by as I walk and he's waved to me but we
had never met before.  So now I know another neighbor, Tony.
Forgot to ask the names of the dogs!

After that I walked back up the hill and continued my walk.




 


Also walked up and down the lane and saw lots of animal tracks in the snow,
deer
rabbits
and these wild turkey ones.



Counting the mile in the house I walked 6 miles.
🌤     ☀️     🌤
Ken had breakfast with Edd this Friday and on the way home
stopped at Walmart and did the grocery shopping. 🙂

After he got home and I put everything away,
I made up a couple of Christmas goodie plates
and we went in the ATV to deliver one to our neighbors 
Theresa and Ron.
Drove to town in the Jeep and dropped another plate
off at the post office.
This afternoon I read and then knitted.
Using very large needles with some big chunky yarn.
Making a scarf and not sure if I like it or not.
 Will have to finish it and then decide.
That's about it for today.
Till next time . . .
a happy day to you.
happyone 🥰
Reading Brunswick Gardens by Anne Perry this afternoon,  
I liked what she said about happiness.

"Happiness was not in taking what you pleased. . .
but in knowing the infinite value of what you had,
of being able to look at it with gratitude and joy."

19 comments:

Tom said...

...Karen, you sure had some beautiful scenery to enjoy on your walk. When I was in the landscape business I meet my share of unfriendly dogs!

Vee said...

Knowing a few labs as well as I do, I concur. Brinley lives next door and she is so friendly that sometimes it’s a race between us for which one of us gets in the car first. ☺️ I have a feeling that you’ll know these labs’ names soon.

I was grinning today thinking about you and how much you will enjoy the lengthening days starting soon.

Love that you bake cookies for so many, even the Post Office. It’s a lovely thing to do!

Rose said...

I so love that first shot...and I like the other. I have never met an unfriendly lab, though my older daugher did have one that was protective of her.....but that is another story. I really have not met many unfriendly dogs. I had Great Dane come and want to get in our van! His house was at least a block away, maybe more. I have never seen one of them that was unfriendly either.

Rose said...

Have you read Caroline: Little House Revisited by Sarah Miller? If not look it up...though maybe you have read it. I just started it and am loving it.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love the way the light hits the landscape.Such rich light.

Happy@Home said...

Nice that the friendly dogs led you to meeting another neighbor. I'm thinking you brought a lot of happiness to people in your town when you pulled up on the ATV with a goody delivery.

Granny Marigold said...

Sounds like you had another pleasant day. I like that Anne Perry quote. It's so right-on.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That's a very different walk from mine today...but there's so much beauty in the snow! I'm glad you had friendly dogs and we were happy not to see anything scary today! lol Enjoy your evening!

NanaDiana said...

It is always fun to meet another neighbor and make a new friend. I am always so inspired by how faithful you are to your walking plan. xo Diana

Deb J. in Utah said...

Such beautiful scenery. So nice you were able to meet another neighbor. Yes, Labs do tend to be very friendly dogs. Hope you have a good weekend.

ellen b. said...

I bet people smile when they see you coming with a plate! We saw what we think are cougar tracks in our front acreage. Yikes! Have a great weekend.

Lisa said...

I have been trying to knit. I just cant seem to catch on. I can do a few rows then I mess up and cant fix it. I would love to knit one of those big giant chunky blankets.

Glad those were good dogs.
Lisa

Hill Top Post said...

I love your first picture. It's almost a familiar scene with cattle waiting to be fed. The light is just wonderful in your early morning shots. I am glad that my Millie is a nice friendly dog. When we first brought her home from the shelter she was afraid of men, but has pretty much gotten over that.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Very nice Winter photos Karen- very cold looking there.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I knew a mean Lab once. He never bought a round of drinks in the pub.

God bless.

Bill said...

The scenery is beautiful. We had a lab and he was a very friendly dog even with strangers. I don't care for aggressive dogs at all, they scare me.
Enjoy your evening.

William Kendall said...

That second to last shot is quite a view.

Adam said...

17 Degrees is too cold for me.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your photographs are wonderful …

All the best Jan