Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Thursday, September 05, 2019

Not a good year for tomatoes

 Started my morning walk at 6:34
Temperature was 54 degrees and foggy.
Sunrise 6:49
 Didn't take long though for the sun to shine through.
Walked to town and passed by the old house.
Still no one has moved in it but the front porch light was on.
Continued around town and walked around the lower cemetery
and then headed back home.

Saw two deer today.
One running out of the corn field across the road and the
other one in the cemetery.

Passed by a little boy about 9 years old waiting for the school bus.
As I passed by I asked him with a smile if he was glad to be back in school.
He smiled too and said, "Heck NO."
I said, "Didn't think so."
He then said, "Have a nice day."
I'm sure I'll be seeing more of him in the days to come.

 Walked 6.1 miles
 🌤     🌤
 Stayed inside this morning because I had to get some house
stuff done, though I'd rather be outside.

But I did make it outside later in the afternoon.

The tomato plants we planted are pathetic.
These are the only two tomatoes that that have turned red.
The others are small and still green.
After doing a bit of work outside
I sat on the porch and read my book.

Finished Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke.
A simple easy read but enjoyable.
I copied down two of the recipes in this book to give a try.
One you can guess, Lemon Meringue Pie
and the other is a cookie called Orange Snaps.

That's it for today.
Hope your day was a happy one.
happyone  🥰

16 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Too bad about your tomatoes. I wish you lived closer because I have more than I can use right now. I've frozen enough for winter and I don't bother with canning any more.
I'm not surprised that you'll be trying a recipe for Lemon Meringue pie. It's your favourite if I remember correctly.

William Kendall said...

The sunflowers are a cheerful sight!

Joyful said...

I love the misty mornings ad the winding roads. Those sunflowers look fantastic. Sorry about your tomatoes. Someone gave me some fresh heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers out of their garden. The taste was so much better than store bought. I usually only grow cherry tomatoes (also very tasty).

Rose said...

Rogers grandmother, called Grammy by the whole neighborhood used to make the best Lemon Meringue Pies ever! Love your photos today...love the barn, of course. Love that the cows are in the photo...they actually almost look like they are out of their pasture. Fog is like snow, it makes any shot a beauty. But oh, I so love the sunflowers. It has been a good day....just came in from fishing a little bit...the first time in months. Did not get a single hit but was just good to be out.

Rose said...

I am sorry about your tomatoes...I meant to get some out here this year, just to see if I could figure a way to grow some.

Vee said...

😏🍅 Same tomato story here. Pathetic indeed. Hope that yours tasted especially good. Mine didn’t even succeed at that!

Interesting that the new homeowners haven’t moved in...perhaps this weekend!

Tom said...

...those sunflowers make up for the tomato disappointment!

Phoebes World said...

Awww what a shame about your tomatoes... but a Green Tomato Chutney would be lovely made with the stragglers
You had a lovely walk... I can see a few Fall colours creeping in.. Its such a pretty time of Year.. and wow...those sunflowers!!
Lemon Meringue Pie is my favourite... in fact anything with Lemon is a winner for me.
Phoebe x

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love that winding road through the trees. Thanks for the kind comments you have been leaving on my blog.

Hill Top Post said...

I love your pictures today! I think they are some of my favorites since I started following your blog, but then, of course they would be because of the touches of fall colors. I am so glad that you spoke to the boy. He is probably a fourth or fifth grader and about the age I taught for 28 years before I took my retirement. I loved those kids and still miss them with all my heart.

Adam said...

They one I had grown was tiny and terrible

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Great photos once again. Lovely sunflowers.

God bless.

Bill said...

Pretty sunflowers and photos. We had a tomato season like what you have but ended up with a few more than two. :) We've been buying heirloom tomatoes at our vwggie and fruit market and they are so delicious.
Have a wonderful day!

A Casa Madeira said...

Wonder of images.

Michelle said...

Love this series of photos. It has been a great, great day here. Not much on tomatoes here. Quite a few volunteer cherry tomatoes, but not much else. I have a local lady who grows/sells heirloom ones. Will be visiting her tomorrow. Thinking about dehydrating some and putting them up in oil in mason jars.

Lowcarb team member said...

Shame about your tomatoes, it happens sometimes …

All the best Jan