Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Mashed Cauliflower vs Mashed Potatoes

It was 21 degrees when I left the house this morning.
No wind and when the sun finally rose there was a mix
of sun and clouds as I walked.

Don't usually see any cars along the road until I get to
the main road except for the first school bus I see,
# 46 and he always waves to me.
Walked to town again and went around the lower cemetery.
Next over to the post office to mail off a Netflix (Foyle's War)
then through town and back home again.

Strange not to see any deer but did see a couple of woodpeckers
and the geese down by the pond.

I'm coming around the last bend in the road up the hill
here and just about home.
That's my driveway up there on the left.
Walked 6 miles
⛅️     ⛅️
If you were wondering if we spent another morning painting,
yes we did.
One thing about doing a big job like this, you appreciate the painters
of the world.  You might think painters charge a lot of money for doing a job
but once you do the job yourself you realized they deserve every
penny they get!!
By the way my grandfather (dad's dad) was a painter.
I guess I didn't inherit the painting gene!!

Back at home in the afternoon Ken was outside and burned some things
up in the burn barrel.

I had to stay inside and get some things done in the house.
Was nice to get to spend some time reading too.

For supper we had ham, carrots and instead of mashed potatoes
I made mashed cauliflower.  I had heard that it tasted just like
mashed potatoes and wanted to check it out.

Cooked the cauliflower till it was fork tender.
Then mashed them with 3 Tablespoons butter,
3 Tablespoons sour cream,
a clove of garlic, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
 Added a little salt and pepper.

We didn't care for them and I won't make them again.
I'd much prefer real mashed potatoes.

Well, that's it for today.
Hope your day was a happy one.
happyone  ❤️
Comment Replies:
Sandi - The first episode of Last of the Summer Wine which is a British comedy was made in 1973 and ended in 2010. I believe this was the longest running comedy series of all time.  We first watched it when we lived in Scotland in the 70's.  It is on PBS but we don't have television anymore.

Victor - Oh yes, we like the British shows.  Some favorites are:
As Time Goes By
The Vicar of Dibley
Faulty Towers
Upstairs Downstairs
Keeping up Appearances
just to name a few!! 😊

21 comments:

William Kendall said...

A beautiful sky.

My mother tended to make cauliflower with nutmeg and either a white or cheese sauce.

Rose said...

What nice view these shots are! I have always meant to try to cauliflower to replace mashed potatoes but never have. Though I like cauliflower...just did not see how it could compare to the real thing.

Do you watch the British mysteries? I think I have more British shows that I like than American. Funny thing, I don't think I have watched many of the ones you name...think we watched Upstairs. Downstairs...and I have watched some Keeping Up Appearances...and I like both.

Have you watched Foyle's War? It is one of our favorite mysteries... it was on for two or three years and I did not even check it out because the title did not appeal to me. I started watching it without realizing what I was watching and was hooked.

Oh, and Bletchley Circle was a favorite...there is a new one set in San Francisco that we haven't watched.

New Tricks is another that I avoided cause the title just did not appeal, and it became a favorite...

Sandi said...

I probably didn't hear of it because it's British. :)....I have heard of everything else British, don't know how I missed that. hA ha!

I have tried that with cauliflower too. Good enough if you want to cut out carbs, but not really the same.



NanaDiana said...

I love the British shows,too. I always thought Keeping Up Appearances was a riot and have watches several of the others you mentioned, too.

I didn't realize you lived so far out when you said you walked to town. Good for you and it looks like a nice safe place to walk.
Painting is hard work but I do like to paint...or at least the results I get when I finish.

Have a wonderful night- xo Diana

John's Island said...

Hi Happyone, As always I enjoyed your photos in this post. You definitely live in a beautiful part of the country! Thanks for the info on the cauliflower ... it sounded interesting but you've saved me the experiment of trying it. :-) In one of your comment replies you said, "we don't have television anymore." By that do you mean you don't have cable or satellite. Do you mean you watch streaming on the web with one of those devices that puts the picture on a TV monitor? I am curious because I am sick of paying for cable. Thanks for your comments and encouragement on my walks!

Vee said...

Love your honesty about mashed cauliflower. I could not have been as diplomatic. You have to wonder about the person who thinks cauliflower tastes like mashed potatoes. 😣

Painting again...hope that good progress was made. A great-grandfather was a painter. It was said of him that he could wear a white suit and not get a drop of paint on him. I definitely did not inherit that gene. It’s why I hate painting so...such a mess.

Tom said...

...I've mashed cauliflower and I know that they good for you, but I LOVE potatoes!

Granny Marigold said...

I agree. Mashed Cauliflower will never replace potatoes around here. I've read that some even use the mashed cauliflower as a pizza crust. I won't be trying that either.

Angie said...

I agree with your assessment of painting - it is time-consuming when done right! I adore most vegetables, but cauliflower has to be near the bottom of the list - it just doesn't have much taste on its own, and then you end up eating a bunch of cheese or butter!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I know that I am not made to be a painter's that's why I hire someone to do the job for me. I have never had mashed cauliflower, but I think I would prefer to stick with potatoes.

Lisa said...

I have tried and have never been able to make cauliflour taste like potatoes!
Lisa

ellen b. said...

Good for you for trying the mashed cauliflower so I don't have to. :)
You are right about painting contractors. They deserve the money. My husband's father had a painting business and was very good and he taught my husband all he knows about painting. Right now after getting our last house ready to sell and this house updated to our colors dear Hubby is very tired of painting!!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen. The mashed cauliflour sounded superb- strange isn't it- not as good as Potato. I once grew a sort of greenish colored 'turnip' which was named 'Kolrabi' - mashed up it was super from our own garden with butter. I note you once lived in Scotland...my heritage is Scottish - we're originally from 'Loche Rannock'...we visited Scotland in April 2015...very cold, windy and rainy-and misty and damp...just the ticket- loved it! Reagards. KEV.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I looked up those movies too...love watching series like that! I'm cooking a roast in the crock pot today....better stick with the potatoes as a side, right? I know they are making a pizza crust with cauliflower too. Enjoy your day!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You have great taste in British TV, Happyone. Faulty Towers was certainly one of the best. Upstairs Downstairs too.

God bless you.

Debby Ray said...

I'm with you on the mashed potato thing! Happy Spring! :D

Dianna said...

I totally get where you are coming from when comparing mashed cauliflower to mashed potatoes. The textures are totally different for one thing...but if I prepare my mind for a new cauliflower recipe it is okay. Kind of like how people used to say that spaghetti squash was like eating spaghetti. ;)

Michelle said...

I like to broil thick slices of cauliflower, but I don't care for it mashed. Painting is a serious job! I did most of our house during my summer break last year. I did one ceiling and that was terrible!

Carol W. said...

I like both mashed veggies. You named off some of my favorite Brit comedies, but also Waiting for God is a funny one too.

M.K. said...

I love Foyle's War, plus so many of those British dramas. They seem better done, with better plots and writing, than most American shows.

I agree about the cauliflower - it just does NOT taste like potatoes!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

My daughter makes mashed cauliflower by mixing it with potatoes. She loves it and says it makes it more fiber and healthier than full on mashed potatoes.