Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, March 01, 2019

I have returned

Hi one and all, my blog break has come to an end.
Last Thursday morning we headed down to Asheville, NC
to visit our son David.
We spent three days down there and had a great time 
even though it rained all three days.
We took a tour of the Biltmore Estate and wow what a house that is!!!
There was even a bowling alley in the house.
David loves it down in Asheville and showed us all around.  
We walked around town and visited lots of shops.
Found a couple of birds to add to my collection.
 
Forgot the name of the restaurant that David took us to for lunch
but the food was delicious.
For dessert we got pudding in a small mason jar and you get to keep the jar.
David is moving into an apartment (today in fact) and he took us there to 
show it to us.  
The blue one on the top floor is his.
In this apartment complex the apartments are on top and below them are
all kinds of stores and shops.
AND the best thing is that he will have no commute to work.
He works for AVL Technologies which is right next to his apartment.
His walk is ONE TENTH of a mile!!!

It was sad to say good-bye when it was time to go but he will be coming to visit us
sometime during the summer.

This is the window in the hall of our hotel.
In the evening I got some steps in walking the length of the hallway!!
 On the way home we went by way of Roanoke, VA so we could stop at
the Black Dog Salvage antique store.
We have watched their show on television and thought it would be fun
to stop in and see the shop.
As you can see in the picture by this time the sun had finally decided to shine.
An inside look.
Didn't buy anything because things were a bit pricey.
Really liked this sign but not enough to spend $160 for it.
We were home on Monday.
While riding in the car I knitted a set of coasters.
The sun came home with us and I enjoyed 3 beautiful sunny
mornings for my walk!!
Over night it snowed again and it was too deep to walk in my
snow sneakers so it was back to the basement this morning.

Wednesday the Super Seniors met at UNO'S for lunch.
Thursday was Fingerprint day at church and we worked from
9:00 - 8:00.
Did take a break and left to go get something to eat for supper.
5,944 Roman's books were assembled, cut and boxed up.

Toady we've been home most of the day, 
but did go to town to get a few errands done.

Nice to be back to blogging.
It may take me a few days to get caught up with you all but
I'll be visiting.

A happy day to you.
happyone  ❤️

21 comments:

Sandi said...

Oh, wow! I live in NC and have not been to the Biltmore...yet!

The headless guy kinda freaked me out.

Vee said...

Hi there! Looks as if you enjoyed a fine trip. I am sure that the most satisfactory thing is to know that your son likes his new home and is happy there. 👍🏼 I read about the Biltmore a lot on various blogs, but I don’t remember seeing the bowling alley; I think this is because they recently changed their policy about taking photos inside.

Have spent a little time getting familiar with the Salvage Dawgs. Looks like a fun show! I like that “Life is Good” sign, too, but I know that you and Ken could do such a sign justice for a few dollars.

Welcome home and Happy March! Soon, you’ll be walking outside again.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We love Asheville and always enjoyed visiting the Biltmore. We always got season passes so that we could go as often as we wanted and sometimes just to eat at the restaurants there. The mountains are so beautiful in that part of NC! And the mason jars remind me of the Moose Cafe...not sure if that's where you went but the food there is great! Happy to have you back...oh and I'm happy to be back! Hugs!

William Kendall said...

I'd enjoy that antique shop.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Good to hear from you again. It was obviously time well spent.Family time is always worth it.

Carol W. said...

I've never been to Asheville, but I'd love to visit. I've been to the Biltmore estate in Newport, RI; it was fabulous. I love your 4 coasters. Have a great weekend!

ellen b. said...

What a great trip to visit your son and get a personal tour of Asheville. I was there with our daughter on a cross country trip from Seattle to Jacksonville N.C. in 2015. Sorry about the nonstop rain. It's always good to know where our kids are living, at least I like to have a visual of that. Glad you had a quiet day.

Joyful said...

It sounds like you had a great trip to visit your son. I would love to stop by the antique store. It looks wonderful. Nice to see you back ;-)

Tom said...

...I'm been to Ashville a couple of times and visited the Biltmore, loved the grounds. Folks as clever as you and Ken should be able to whip off a sign like that one in a jiffy. Glad that you had a fun time.

Unknown said...

Nice to have family in Asheville, we go there every few years and love it every time. Rain doesn't bother us on a trip also, all depends on a person's attitude!

Rose said...

So good to see you back...I was hoping you were absent for something fun. Sounds like your son has found the perfect place to live.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

What a great trip, congrats to your son on his new place. His new commute is the best. I have always wanted to visit Biltmore and Asheville. Maybe some day. The antique shop looks like a fun place to explore. Enjoy your day and weekend!

Happy@Home said...

Welcome back, Karen. So nice that you could get away and see David and his new home in Asheville. We love it there and find it to be a nice little getaway area as it is only a few hours from here. Too bad the weather wasn't better for your visit. However, the rain last fall and this winter has been record breaking.
That sign would have been perfect for you if the price hadn't been so steep. Yikes!

Debby Ray said...

You are the second blog buddy I know that visited the Biltmore this week. I have lived in NC for 26 years and have never been there! I would love to see this beautiful place! Glad you had a good trip...welcome back!

NanaDiana said...

We love Asheville, too. That estate is amazing, isn't it? I would like to tour it again one day when the gardens are in bloom.

It sounds like your son has landed on his feet and that is really great...can't get much close to work than that.

Hope you have a really great weekend. xo Diana

ps-Too bad that sign was so pricey.

Granny Marigold said...

Lovely that you could see your son's apartment before you came back. More and more the trend out here is to do exactly as was done in your son's building. Shops and even doctor's offices and pharmacies on the bottom floor of high rises. Such a great idea.
I didn't know you collected ceramic birds! So do I.

Retired Knitter said...

Looks like you had a wonderful break. I am glad you are close to your son. And that he lives a car trip away. Family is important!

Adam said...

I've been to the Biltmore. Much closer to me than it is to you.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sounds as if you had a wonderful few days.
Lovely seeing all of your photographs.

All the best Jan

o2bhiking said...

Asheville is a great city, I love it there. A wonderful city for people who like the out of doors. I am glad that you got to visit David. I like your birds, eastern bluebird and red-bellied woodpecker, I think. Welcome back.

M.K. said...

So glad you got to visit Asheville and that your son is happy there. What a great living situation he has!
We've been to Biltmore several times. It's my husband's favorite place to visit anywhere. "Stepping back in time," as they say.
Your coasters look great - isn't knitting in the car a good way to pass the hours?