Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, October 12, 2018

Filling in holes

No 60 degree weather this morning.
It was 42 degrees, windy and the sky was cloudy.
The air had a nice crisp fall feel to it which made it good walking weather.
The only thing that would have made it better was if the sun was out.
Walked to town this morning.
Went straight through town, turned around and walked back.
Then took a loop around town on the outer roads
and then back home.
Ken went out to breakfast with his friend Edd while I was walking
and he passed me as I was just getting to the last hill to walk up
before getting home.  He stopped to see if I wanted a ride.  He already
knew what the answer would be but just asked anyway. ๐Ÿ˜Š
There must have been no school today because didn't see any
school buses and even though there is never a lot of traffic there
was even less today.
☁️     ☁️     ☁️
Did the usual morning chores around the house.
We had three pallets of concrete bags delivered at the house.
Was easier to have them delivered than to go pick them up.
The man was very nice and brought the pallets right up the
driveway and put two of them in the garage and we had him leave the other
one out because we would be using it later today.
Sometimes when things are delivered they just leave
them at the end of the driveway.

We spent the afternoon mixing up concrete and once again putting it
in those holes in the cinder block.
Ken mixed and I filled holes.
This time I had cotton gloves on inside heavy duty rubber gloves
and my hands were fine and
 I used a shovel instead of a large McDonald's cup.
I was standing above the work so it was easier with a shovel.
Last time I was below so the cup was easier.  Too heavy for me
to lift the shovel up.
Anyway we got a whole pallet done.
This picture shows where we are working and there are the
42 empty bags of concrete that we used.
 I bet you can guess what we will be doing tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜Š

A happy day to you.
Life is Good
happyone  ๐Ÿ’•

"If you always give, you will always have."
~ Chinese Proverb

13 comments:

Tom said...

...a big cool down here too. I wish that I could help you tomorrow, but I have a birthday party to go to!

Granny Marigold said...

That's a lot of concrete you've used!! 42 bags!!

Joyful said...

You and your husband are good workers and you make a great team!

Onneli Winter said...

Hope the sun is warming your day <3

Leslie said...

Sorry if I am making duplicate comments. My PC is acting funky. Everything is looking amazing. I cant believe the amount of work (and love) that You and your husband have put into your new home. Love it!!!!

Vee said...

Would it not be easier to have a cement truck bring a load of cement ready to go? Such a lot of work, but you and Ken sure work well together and will make short work of it today. Hope that you have time for relaxing. I am blowing and raking leaves today.

happyone said...

Yes, we could have someone come with a truck and pour the concrete for us but we are saving hundreds and hundreds of dollars by doing it ourselves. Besides we enjoy doing what we can ourselves. : ) Don't forget to jump into those raked leaves a time or two. : ) One thing nice living in the woods, No leaves to rake, they will stay where they fall.

Adam said...

Our temps dropped just recently. It's 67 in the house, trying not to the turn the heat on.

William Kendall said...

It sounds like a lot of work!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Your post points out that what we call "work" now (loading the dishwasher, the washing machine, etc.) is really not work compared to what you're doing. Be careful of your back...don't want to get down just when the walking whether is here!

Debby Ray said...

It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it! Enjoy your weekend!

Vee said...

Get back to me in the spring. ☺️ Hundreds of dollars? Well, I can see why you didn’t. (I had no idea of cost. All I know is that John had cement truck deliveries all the time. Now you have me wondering! )

happyone said...

We would need a special truck to come with one of those pumps with a long arm pour into such little holes. It takes time so that is why it would cost more than a regular truck just coming and dumping the concrete.
You say cement and I say concrete. Cement is actually an ingredient in concrete the other two being sand and gravel. Didn't know if you knew that. : )