Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, August 27, 2018

A day getting gravel

69 degrees and no breeze made it one of the hottest walking mornings this summer.
Walked the 5.2 mile hilly Loop.
The first vehicle I encountered was 2 miles into my walk and
it was school bus number 46.  He always waved to me when he passed
by when I was in town last school year.
He must have wondered what I was doing way down here.

Up ahead is the bridge of the main road.  I walk under it and 
 just down the road it turns left and the road takes me to the main road.
This house hidden in the trees is on the curve to the main road.
What a beautiful spot, but wouldn't like to live so close to the
river during heavy rains.  Wonder if they get flooded.
I walked under the bridge of the main road here. 
Walking up the main road Ken passed going the other way with the
truck and the dump trailer.  He was on the way getting a load
of crush and run gravel.
He tooted and gave me a wave.

Saw the usual deer about.  
 I was walking along and there were a bunch of goldfinches on each side 
of the road going from weed to weed just ahead of me. 
It was like they were going for a walk with me.  

I made it home before Ken got home with the gravel.
🚢🏼‍♀️
 Well now that we have the inside of the house pretty much done
we can get back to the outside.
After breakfast we spread the gravel out on the apron of the driveway.
Then spent the rest of the day going back and forth getting
a total of 6 loads of gravel and spreading it out.
It hasn't be tampered down yet though.
There will be about 5 feet of brick in front of the garage doors 
where there is gray stone.
Also finished the path.
This view from the front porch.
On the last trip home Ken pulled in at McDonald's
and we had an ice cream cone treat. 🍦

That pretty much was our day.
Hope your day was a good one and you smiled often.
Life is Good
happyone  πŸ’•

19 comments:

Tom said...

...the red trim on your house pops.

Granny Marigold said...

That's a LOT of gravel you've hauled home. No more lawn mowing for you I'm thinking.

Lisa said...

Your porch view looks reaxing. What a nice spot.
Lisa

Vee said...

The gravel path and drive looks great. What a lot of work! You surely earned the ice cream cone. 🍦

That first picture of the overpass reminds me so much of a walk you used to take years ago now. Am I dreaming?

Grandma C said...

I could use that 69 degrees right now, my ac isn't working right. Your walk is beautiful.

Angie said...

You and your ice cream … I almost expected you to say that you had ice cream at home too! The house is coming along so nicely … spreading gravel is hard work, and after a long walk, too! Enjoy your week ahead!

Henny Penny said...

Oh Karen, I've just caught up with your back posts...all the way back to seeing inside your new home. It is beautiful!! All of it! Such a big pretty place. It must be fun living there at Happy Trails. It's so pretty there and looks a lot like living in the mountains. It was sweet that Ken passed you with a load of gravel while you were walking and tooted the horn...you two are a sweet couple.

Ruta M. said...

Your house is looking lovely tucked away in the trees. Handy that the town is still within walking distance. It must be fun spotting all the wildlife in your new route.

Kerin said...

What a charming walking path... love that house tucked in by the river.
Happy for you to have accomplished getting so much gravel laid.

Have a great day.
~K.

Melanie said...

Making progress. I love the path up to your house. Such prettiness all around!

ellen b. said...

You two are a great team. That's a lot of work done well!! I like the lights above the garage doors!

Debby Ray said...

Love the color of the gravel. Spreading gravel is one hard job!

Adam said...

The ice machine wasn't broken?

Are you sure you were at McDonalds?

Ruth Hiebert said...

Ok,that view from the porch is amazing.

happyone said...

You're right. I used to walk under I95 when I lived in Savage.

happyone said...

Oh I still had my evening ice cream. : )

happyone said...

I am happy to say that the McDonald's here is a good one and the people are friendly too.

Michelle said...

You had a busy day! Glad to see the house is coming along.

Lowcarb team member said...

You've done a lot of good work - it's all looking so good.

All the best Jan