Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, August 09, 2010

A hot day and new stores

Sunrise 6:15
Sunset 8:10

I stepped out the door to a cool morning but the air was thick.  As I walked my skin was cool but I was sweating at the same time.  By the time I got home the sun was out and I was just plain HOT!  I walked around the lake which is always nice.  Saw a few walker friends that I haven't seen for a while and lots of other people.  The lake had a low mist over it and the sky at first was gray with the sun trying to come out.  There were a lot of rabbits eating along the side of the paths.  Most of them hop into the tall grass as I walk by but one let me take his picture. I heard a few mosquitoes buzzing around my head and thought I had escaped being bitten when my ankle started to itch.   I walked 6.7 miles and it sure was nice to come home to an air conditioned house!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finished reading Private by James Patterson yesterday.  It was pretty good.  I have his next book on hold at the library and just got a notice saying it is there for me to pick it up.  I think I'm going to wait a few days before picking it up.  Give me a chance to finish reading another book.

I did my usual morning routine, then did my chores around the house for the day.  Those chores took me longer than expected and I didn't have much time left to do the fun stuff during the day.  But I did get to read for a little while before Ken came home from work.

We were in the mood for Reuben sandwiches for supper so we went to The Green Turtle and were both disappointed.  The sandwiches were kind of dry and the service was not so great either. We should have went to Ram's Head, they have really good Reuben's.  

There is a new store that has been opened for a few months now in our area called hhgregg which sells appliances and electronics.  We had never heard of them before and went to check it out.  I will not be going there ever again.  As soon as we walked in the door we were practically attacked by the sales people.  Even after we said we were just looking around a salesman still followed us around talking non stop.  We had to be almost rude to him before he finally left us alone.  I really dislike stores like that.

Another new store will be opening here soon called Hobby Lobby.  I never heard of that either but it is  what it sounds like, a hobby store.  I am looking forward to when it  opens.  It will be another store like Michael's or Joann's.  Makes me wonder which store will outlast the others.  My guess is that Michael's is the first to go.

Not sure what my snack will be tonight.  Maybe watermelon or maybe chocolate chip cookies.  Just a few cookies left.  I'll be baking cookies in the next day or so.

That's about it for today.
 I hope your Monday was better than you expected it to be.
Happyone :-)
What makes us discontented with our condition
is the absurdly exaggerated idea 
we have of the happiness of others.  
~French Proverb

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

I had a quiet Monday. It was just what I needed but not necessarily what I wanted. You know I like to keep busy. It was so hot! I'm not used to that being up North for the week. I had a great Reuben sandwich up there. We need to plan a date for Ram's Head. Reuben or fish tacos?

Rathi said...

I don't remember my Monday Karen... let alone write a post about it.... You are amazing... to be able to capture every single event with such precision... hats off and loads of love... :-D

Kerri Farley said...

I don't like going into stores like that either. Sorry about the food at the GT. We go to the original one in Ocean City and their food is FANTASTIC.

Happy@Home said...

I avoid stores with aggressive sales people too. I realize that it's their job to sell, but it is so annoying when they are following you around. We have an HH Gregg nearby, but I've never been in it.
Hope you find more time for the fun stuff today.

Vee said...

Hobby Lobby is the one (that we don't have) that all the crafters talk about so much. Hope that all three find their niche because I hate to see businesses go out. Cute little rabbit who really did allow you to get pretty close. You'll be the rabbit whisperer and the deer whisperer and the heron whisperer and all manner of animal whisperer if you keep on going this way. I so want to bake banana bread, but the humidity levels are daunting so I'll not brave it.

Thanks for telling me your sprinkles/jimmies story.

KathyA said...

And today will be even warmer! Funny how that bunny has become 'humanized.'

Anita said...

I've been to Hobby Lobby one time, an hour and a half's drive from here. Some things were a bit expensive, but I stocked up. Our JoAnn's left a couple of years ago, and WalMart stopped selling fabric. If we want sewing material, we have to make a half hour's drive into the next county.
There's an electronic/appliance store being built in my county; I bet it's one of the Greggs. Just when you think every availabe inch of space has been built on, somebody finds a bit to put up yet another store.