Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, May 14, 2010

Planting flowers


Today I headed over to the park and walked around the lake. A cloudy and humid morning. It was one of those times when I was cold and hot at the same time. I don't know what, but some kind of event is going on tomorrow at the park. They were marking off parking spots on the grass with white paint and there were a lot of workers around sprucing things up. I have to remember not to walk there tomorrow. I like my lake when there is hardly any one there. Not many people when I first got to the lake, but by the time I was heading back home lots were there. The heron was about again, and I saw lots of geese, ducks, two egrets, numerous deer and rabbits, and all the usual birds. I walked the usual 6 miles.

Last night after supper we went to Lowe's and bought some plants to plant out in the front of our townhouse. We do not have to do a thing outside. Everything is taken care of, but I really get sick of looking at those green yews and wanted to have some color out there. We bought some red geraniums, marigolds, petunias, and a hanging basket to put on the other side by the bird feeder.
Today I was outside planting all the plants. Here is a before picture.Before planting I first cut the yews back. Then I planted the geraniums in the lower part, in front of the little wall. The part on top of the wall I planted the petunias.
Here is the after picture. The plants are very small now and the picture doesn't really show them up good, but in time I hope they will grow and look pretty there. I'll have to take another picture when they look better. Here is a picture of the other side of the stairs.I planted the marigolds there. Again I'm hoping that they grow and will look pretty.Here's a close up of the hanging basket of flowers.I worked outside until I got hungry and then came in for lunch and a very large drink of water!!!
Then I went back outside to finish up.
People who walked by stopped a moment to say hi and say how nice things were looking. Others waved as they drove by and one man on a bicycle stopped to talk awhile. It was nice to see my neighbors and to realize most people are really nice and friendly. :-)

The sun finally did come out and it was a bit on the warm side, especially since I was working outside. I also hung some wash up outside. I still have to take the clothes in and fold them up.
And that's been my day so far. I will finish up on the computer, and then either read or knit until Ken comes home from work. I wonder if he will notice I planted all those flowers! :-)

I hope you are enjoying your day.
Happyone :-)
Each day comes bearing its own gifts.
Untie the ribbons.
~Ruth Ann Schabacker

7 comments:

Rathi said...

Wow... what a lovely day dear Karen.... I like marigolds... they are just so bright, aren't they?? Your little garden looks beautiful.. and i am so hoping to see the new pictures soon..

xoxoxo

KathyA said...

Planting flowers is wonderful work. Can't wait to see them esp after they've filled out. Should be beautiful.
The men are here today putting in our patio. I've been itching to go outside and watch, or at least 'play' in my garden for a bit, but don't want them to feel like I'm watching them. Can't wait until they're done so I can go look around!!!

karen said...

Everything looks so pretty. It has been raining here off and on all day. Thunderstorms off and on all week. I am ready for a nice spring day.

Vee said...

Be sure to document the progress...it's always amazing how fast the flowers come along. I'm going flower shopping in a couple of weeks. We had three nights in a row of low 20sF this week so must be careful of planting too early. Your neighbors are going to appreciate all that you are doing outside to make things look colorful and cheery. Your hanging basket is lovely!

George said...

I think the front of your house will really look nice once those flowers take hold. I think most people appreciate flowers in their neighborhood.

Goosey said...

The flowers will look so nice and they'll fill out really quickly I expect.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I LOVE the hanging basket!!