Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, May 04, 2009

A surprise basket

Once again it was a wet morning walk. I wore my rain pants and yellow rain slicker and left the umbrella home today. On such a wet dreary morning I thought a nice bright yellow slicker would brighten things up a bit! All the rain certainly has made everything nice and green. I really have to get over to the old house once this rain stops and mow the lawn! Yesterday morning Ken installed the ceiling fan in our bedroom. I put the blades together and yes they work fine. :-) We should be nice and cool now on those hot nights! People all over the county are driving around with green bumper stickers on their cars which read CHOOSE CIVILITY. At the library the other day I picked up a card with the 25 Rules of Civility that go along with the bumper sticker. 1. Pay Attention 2. Acknowledge others 3. Think the best 4. Listen 5. Be inclusive 6. Speak kindly 7. Don't speak ill 8. Accept and give praise 9. Respect even a subtle "no" 10. Respect others' opinions 11. Mind your body 12. Be agreeable 13. Keep it down and rediscover silence 14. Respect other peoples' time 15. Respect other peoples' space 16. Apologize earnestly 17. Assert yourself 18. Avoid personal questions 19. Care for your guests 20. Be a considerate guest 21. Think twice before asking for favors 22. Refrain from idle complaints 23. Accept and give constructive criticism 24. Respect the environment and be gentle to animals 25. Don't shift responsibility and blame Wouldn't it be nice if everyone actually lived all these rules of civility. :-) It was a Meals on Wheels day and it poured down rain the whole time I was out. It seems like it is always raining when I deliver meals lately. I took the FJ again because of Mrs W 's street. It is still under construction and a real mess and today muddy as well. Everyone again was so thankful that I came out in the rain for them. Certainly puts a little rain in perspective. One of my ladies fell last night and hurt her hip and went to the hospital yesterday but she is back home and doing fine. Just got a nasty bruise but nothing was broken. She is in her 80's! The 6 others were all fine and dandy. When I got home there was a box in front of my door and I thought it was going to be the Longaberger magazine basket I ordered from my cousin Linda last week. It was a Longaberger basket all right but not that one. Linda gave me this basket and a counted cross stitch of a basket of purple flowers which says Every Day is a Gift. A card was included that reads best wishes for your new home. What a great surprise to greet me home today!! :-) Thank you so much Linda!!! I simply love the basket and the cross stitch is so pretty - I love the saying. I'm off to read a bit, maybe do some cross stitch before starting supper. Tonight I'm making Baked Ziti. One of my favorites!! Hope you're having sunshine in your part of the world. If you are please send some my way. Happyone :-)

10 comments:

Vee said...

A lovely housewarming gift. Some folks are so thoughtful!

Your MOW lady who fell...how scary for her. So glad that she didn't break anything.

You guys will be building an ark before too much longer. Take care now...

Happy@Home said...

I like those civility rules and do agree that if we all remembered and followed them the world would be a much happier place :-)

I am thinking that after you being such a kind person to deliver meals to others on a wet and muddy day, the gift basket was well deserved.

Lindy said...

Yes, it would be nice if everyone lived the rules of civility. Two things come to mind from your post:

1. The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Does anyone still teach this?

2. What goes around, comes around.

And happily, you were the recipient of the second today, with your lovely gift basket and cross stitch kit. Well deserved! And just like the Welcome Wagon was waiting for you. :)

KathyA said...

Beautiful basket and I love the card!

Lena said...

Hello,

First time here, but I feel like I know you because I read your comments all the time on Kathy and Cheryl's blogs.

Love your photographs!

Yes, I agree if everyone followed the Rules of Civility, it would be a different world! thanks for posting them!

Lena

Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking about baked ziti last night! I bet it was good.

Goosey said...

Your room looks great, such a nice high ceiling. What is a ziti? I have never heard of that before!
Those rules are good, wouldn't life be good if we all lived by them.

happyone said...

Goosey - Ziti is a type of pasta shaped in a small tube about 2 inches long. I cooked the ziti then mixed it up with tomato sauce, mozzarella, Parmesan, & Fontina cheeses. Top with shredded Parmesan and then bake it. It's delicious!!

Dick said...

Those rules are OK, life would be much better when everybody lived by them.

Brad said...

What a great list. It ought to be taught in high schools as a required subject.