Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Monday, December 05, 2022

Lisa and the Drane house

21 degrees this morning when I walked.
Dark at first and then sunny.
Sunrise 7:25
Walked 6 miles

Walked up and down the main street under the street lights
and then the ball park loop once it was light.
Both cemeteries and through town once again.

Saw a couple of rabbits.

A frosty walk around the cemetery.


The pond looked pretty with the sun shining on the coating of ice.


Stopped in at the car dealers to ask Phil how breakfast with
Santa went on Saturday when he was an elf.
Said it went great and thanked me for stopping by to ask.

Saw Lisa out walking and we stopped to talk.
She grew up here in town and told me before Farmer Marvin owned the
farm land that surrounds the Drane house another farmer owned it
and was her neighbor.  The Drane house was on his property and he
let Lisa and her sister use the Drane house as their play house.
She said the house was filled with lots of neat stuff.
How cool would that have been!!!
When the farmer sold his farm, Farmer Marvin bought it and the town
acquired the Drane house.

Lisa also told me about a book called
Flowery Vale which is a history of our town of Accident.
The author Mary Miller Strauss was Lisa's 4th grade teacher.
When the library opened I went and got the book out.
Looking forward to starting the book later.


Since it is December 5th thought I'd better start thinking about Christmas.
  So started out with making a Christmas card list 
and even wrote out a few cards.

That's all for today.
Thanks for visiting.
Hope your day was a good one.
πŸ‘©πŸ»‍🦳happyone😊

Comment Replies:
Vee - The three pictures from yesterday were from three different days.
Debby and Anni -Trying to find out how much money was made from the cookie sale.
Sent Pam a text but haven't heard back yet.

22 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Your second photograph is so lovely.

I think the book 'Flowey Vale' will be an interesting read.

Have a good week.

All the best Jan

Lowcarb team member said...

Oops that should be 'Flowery Vale'

All the best Jan

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Love everything in this post!

Oh mercy, what a trite comment!

But it's really so! :-)

πŸŽ„ πŸŽ„ πŸŽ„

Debby said...

I always enjoy reading about my town and area so that book will be an interesting read for sure. I can't wait to hear how much money they raked in.

Your town almost sounds like Mayberry - everyone knows everyone and there's always a tale to be told.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful landscapes.

Mari said...

You found out some fun things today. I can't imagine being able to play in the Drane house!
I bet that book will be interesting.

Tom said...

...years ago I was Santa at a breakfast. My real beard was a plus.

Vee said...

Oh that book sounds like a history adventure. Hope that you learn many interesting things!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I lived in Maryland for seven years. Never heard of Accident. Now you will HAVE to tell us how it got this name!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Karen. That book sounds very interesting. It is always fun to learn more about the history of the place where we live. Beautiful picture of the lake. See you again tomorrow.

Ann said...

That pond does look pretty.
I wanted to get an early start on my Christmas cards but they still sit there waiting for me to get around to them.

John's Island said...

Hi HappyOne, Just have to give you a high-5 for being such a regular poster of such an interesting blog. Today’s highlights … that second image, the pond, wow … award winner for sure. And Flowery Vale … can’t wait to hear more about that book!

Hootin Anni said...

I feel a song coming on after seeing the image...jingle bell time is a swell time...in the frosty air!!!!

eileeninmd said...

The photo of the pond looks beautiful. The book sounds interesting.
I should start writing out my Christmas cards. Take care, enjoy your day!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Beautiful photos. I can feel the cold weather from here.

God bless.

Debbie said...

What a cool name for a town! I bet that book is going to be great!

Happy@Home said...

How fun to learn more about the Drone House history from Lisa. That book looks like a treasure. Let us know if you learn anything interesting.
I wrote out a few cards yesterday too. One is going to England and I'm never sure how long that will take, but I know it's longer than I would think.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful views!

Bill said...

It sure looks cold. The book about your town should be an interesting read.

Granny Marigold said...

How great that there's a book written about the history of your town.

ellen b. said...

Fun stories you heard about the Drane house. I'm trying to finish up our Christmas letter. Our cards might be late this year.

Rose said...

I am behind commenting...Had to see what book you were reading. How cool about being allowed to play in the Drane house!