Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, March 05, 2022

Inside the wasp nest

 Back up to 31 degrees this morning when I walked.
Temperature is up and down from one day to the next.
There was a slight breeze and a mix of sun and clouds.

Had my usual walk all around town, the cemeteries and the ball park.

Saw Rebecca walking her dog Leo.

Every winter the sidewalks get the overflow gravel
that is put down on the roads.
Then this time of year the sidewalks get swept off with
a hand held power sweeper.
The sweeping has begun.
There are little piles of gravel all down the sidewalk.


Down by the bulls a trailer is getting loaded up with manure 
to be spread over the fields.


A look at the back of the twin houses that are being built
here in town.  


Enjoyed a nice quiet early Saturday morning walk.
For me walking is the best way to start my day. 🙂
Walked 6 miles

🌤    🥾    🌼

You might remember me taking a picture of the big wasp nest
we had hanging in a tree out front.
David knocked it down and we took the outer covering off
and this is what is inside it.
I'd never seen inside one before.


It warmed up nicely this afternoon to 65 degrees!!!!! and we were able
to get both vehicles washed.
Boy were they dirty!!!!
With both Ken and I sharing this job it got done pretty quickly.

Yesterday at the library I picked up a new DVD for us to watch called 
A Place To Call Home.
The library has 5 seasons of it.
We saw the first two episodes last evening and it was pretty good.
Going to watch a couple more later.
It's nice to find a new series to watch.


Thanks so much for stopping by to visit.
A happy Saturday to you. 😊
👩🏻‍🦳 happyone ❤️

22 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

Looks like a series that comes from Acorn. I love shows with a bunch of seasons. It tells me the show was enjoyed by many because they don’t keep making seasons if it have a low following.

William Kendall said...

Fascinating structure to that nest.

The Furry Gnome said...

I'm waiting for sweeping to begin here!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This series you are watching sounds so familiar, maybe I have seen it. But the older I get and the more shows I see, the harder it is to remember them! It looks like you live in such a lovely area. I just read your testimony, how sad but wonderful!

Tom said...

...we had a wasp nest in the top of a tall tree, the wind finally blew it down. Enjoy a wonderful weekend, Karen.

Rose said...

I love that rock wall in that one pic where you are showing the pile of gravel.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen- 'A Place To Call Home' looks interesting. We are into our sixteenth day of straight rain- severe flooding to the north of our state- not a good start to Autumn. Stay safe and well there. Cheers. KEV. (NSW- Australia).

Mari said...

The new houses are coming along nicely.
The wasp nest is pretty amazing inside!
We got both vehicles washed yesterday - badly needed.
I've heard of that series, will have to check it out.

Connie said...

That hexagon shape that is in the wasps nest reminded me of a program we watched a few years ago about hundreds of things in nature that are build with the hexagon shape in their pattern. I wish that I could remember the title, because you might be able to find it on YouTube. I think we might have seen it on the discovery channel . . . but I not subscribe to normal TV anymore. It's fascinating if you can find it.

Deb J. in Utah said...

That TV series looks interesting. You are like me - I like having my vehicle nice and clean. I hope you have a good Sunday.

ellen b. said...

Wasp nests are so interesting. I know how dirty your cars were. This is such a dirty car season. 65 degrees! That's good car washing temp. We'll wait for temps above freezing to wash ours again. That dvd series sounds interesting.

susan q said...

The storyline for A Place to Call Home is very well written. I enjoyed it very much and didn't want to see it end. Hope you feel the same way. I finally went to the car wash too. Happy weekend.

Hootin Anni said...

That wasp nest is a bit eerie, yet mighty pretty. Definitely a work of skilled laborers.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Nice walk, we had a beautiful Saturday! The wasp nest is interesting.
Take care, enjoy your day and have a great new week!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Did you know ... the best efficient shape for a honeycomb is a hexagone (six sides) because it takes the bee 5 times more honey consumed to make the same amount of wax. Any other shape would require more wax.

God bless.

Vee said...

Oh my! That hive looks like a futuristic city. Very interesting indeed.

Nice that your town hops on clean-up quickly. Mine waits a bit making sure the end of snow and sanding has already gone by,

Sixty-five degrees sounds wonderful. ☀️

Kerri Farley said...

It's amazing how those wasps can make a home with such intricate detail.

Jeanette said...

We had a wasp nest in our tree we knocked down after all the wasps were gone. I have to say I'm impressed in the hard work they do on their nests!

Inger said...

That wasp nest is amazing. Now I wonder where the wasps go in winter.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Wondering how he took the outside off, the nest?

And these 3 layers, are what were inside the covering, I take it....

Where did the bees go? Long ago? And why?

I know you can't answer all these questions, of course. :-)

Bill said...

Very interesting in seeing the inside of the wasps nest.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your photos of your walks are always so wonderful and interesting. I have never seen the inside of a wasps nest either and it looks like an apartment!