Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Friday, September 25, 2020

Cabin

 53 degrees this morning with a mix of sun and clouds on my walk.
A drive to town and walked all over town.
Went over to the industrial park and walked around there.

 
Saw Lena out walking and we walked together about a mile and had a nice visit.
Though I do like walking alone best it is nice to walk with a friend for a little way once in a while.

Didn't see anyone else out walking.

Walked 6 miles

⛅️     🙂     🌤

We both went up to the cabin today to work on the outhouse and
I also got more wood burned in the fire barrel.
Other than coming back to the house for lunch we stayed
up there all day.

The cabin.

About 10 years ago we bought the property and named it Happy Trails.
At the time we lived in central Maryland and had no plans to
move here to western MD.
We built the cabin and it was to be a get away for weekends
to get away from the all the traffic and crowds.

Once we starting coming up here though it was harder and harder to go
back to the crowds and after a couple of years decided to move
move up here.
Still we didn't move to Happy Trails but bought a house in town in 2013.
We would come up here to Happy Trails for fun, it was like having
our very own park.

After a while we thought why don't we just have a house built
and move to Happy Trails.
So that is what we did and have been living here in the woods for 2 years.

The cabin now is used by David when he comes to visit.

Cabin building site

A few pictures while we were building the cabin.


🏕     🏕

That's all for today.
Thanks for stopping by.
A happy Friday to you.
happyone ❤️

Comment Replies:
Anni - Yes, that is the outhouse in yesterday's post where Ken is on the ladder.

19 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Your first two photographs are full of wonderful colour.
Many thanks for posting the cabin photographs and story.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

The Furry Gnome said...

I remember that building process. Looks great now!

Tom said...

...it's nice to have these photos aa a reminder!

Debi said...

Your trees are turning color quite quickly. Ours are turning more slowly. I like seeing your cabin in progress.

Susie said...

You and Ken, really like to work. :) I love it. It would be nice to have a sweet cabin to visit...might have to start talking to our kids. LOL. Blessings, enjoy the weekend .xoxo, Susie

Granny Marigold said...

I'm glad you posted the story of how your cabin came to be!

Rose said...

I enjoyed hearing how you came to live where you live. And enjoyed your pics of the building of the cabin. Did you two actually build the cabin or did you have it built? With all the other stuff you and Ken have been doing, it does not surprise me if you two actually built it.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I remember when you started building the cabin. Being out in the woods, away from the busyness of life must be refreshing.

Hill Top Post said...

I am amazed at how much color you already have. I love the reds in the top picture. That little cabin has so much character. I can imagine how much you enjoyed those trips to the woods.

Hootin Anni said...

I think I could live there in the woods!! (Love the flowers & Autumn colors!)

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Beautiful colours in the first photo.

God bless.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi Karen- It is a good move that you have made to be where you are now. I like the pictures of the Flowers too. Regards. KEV.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The fall colors there are looking beautiful. I do remember following the cabin being built, I am sure your son loves to stay there when he visits. Have a great day and a happy weekend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I enjoyed a review of the history of Happy Trials. I remember reading about it all. I think I started following and reading your blog in about 2007 or 2008. Yours was one fo the first blogs I started reading. I don't blame you for selling your vette. You are right - it just wouldn't be practical up there. Thanks for your advice on car buying. We used your strategy and bought a new car for Charly last night - got a great price too! The cabin is a perfect place for David andhis girlfriend when they visit. Have a good weekend.

Bill said...

The autumn colours are sure looking good. Nice to see the photos of when the cabin was being built.

ellen b. said...

That was a great vision you had to buy that property and build a cabin on it and now you have your home on the property, too. It really worked out well. Happy Trails is a fitting name, too.

Aritha V. said...

Nice photos.
Love to see it and read your story about it.

Retired Knitter said...

Oh no! Tell me it hasn't been 10 years!! Time is passing so fast.

Henny Penny said...

I simply can't believe I've missed three or four of your posts again. I had to scroll down and read about the cabin. It's so cute! But I'm glad you moved to your place in the woods and built a home. It's just beaautiful there! I'll try to keep up. Where do the days go anyhow? :)