Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Nest, Ki, and Pie

Had a fun time yesterday playing Mexican Train.
We got home late went to bed late and this morning I slept
an extra hour.
By that time it was light enough to walk so I left on my walk
from the house today and walked to town.
It was 35 degrees out and sunny once the sun came over the mountain.
Walked straight through town.
Passed by a yard sale in town and walked right on by
without even looking.
Walked over to the ball park and walked the loop and then
headed back home.

No people out walking but did see a couple of deer.
Heard a few gunshots, must be deer hunters.
Sure hope Dolly and her family stick close to home!!

Saw a blue jay. 
Haven't seen one for quite a while so it was nice
to see a bright spot of blue in the tree.

You may remember the picture of the bees nest I took
a while back.
This is what is left of it today.
Wonder what happened.




Met up today with that little yappy barking dog,
the one I scared by opening and closing the umbrella at him.
He was out in his yard and came running out to the road,
 crossed the road, and gave a token bark.
No hair raised and no growling.
His name is Ki. (not sure of the spelling)
I said Hi Ki.
He turned around and went back to his yard.
I couldn't believe it.
Maybe one day we will actually be friends.
Ki lives just around the bend in the road in the above picture.

Continued walking down the road to home.

Walked 6 miles

☀️     🍁     ⛅️

Ken went outside on his tractor and got yet more rocks.
These are pretty big ones that he's putting on the side of the
house by our bedroom where he made the waterfall.
The water flows down in a drainage ditch that he dug
and these rocks are for lining that ditch to make it look like a brook.
No water there now but at times there is quite a lot.

While he was doing that I was inside making a
Lemon Meringue Pie
A piece of that will be our snack tonight.

That was about all I did except for reading and watching
the deer around the house.
All 5 of them were here today.
Both Does and their 3 fawns, which are pretty big now.
The biggest fawn is the one we've named Dolly.

That's it for today.
Hope you enjoyed your Saturday.
Life is Good
happyone 🥰

16 comments:

Rose said...

That looks like a pretty good frost as you went on your walk! That view reminds me a bit of home in East Tennessee.

Hornet's nests always seem to disintegrate after the hornets are gone...I know it is probably due to weather, but what do the hornets do to keep it together when they are there? If I can remember, I want to look it up.

The jays were super active today...seems like everywhere we went, we saw some.

Tom said...

...we had frost on the lawn this morning, I wonder if the wind blew the nest apart. The pie sure looks good!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Even though I am not hungry, a piece of that pie would be super good.

Vee said...

That pie is gorgeous! If it tastes as good as it looks... < insert *thud* >

And here I am hoping that “my” herd gets thinned. They are so obnoxious. Plus the deer ticks are everywhere. We need a good freeze, I guess.

I knew that you’d have a great time playing MexicanTrain with your friends.

Ki...is that pronounced “key” or “kye”? I will not be at all surprised if you two wind up being friendly. You’re doing your part.

Hill Top Post said...

I am already dreading the opening of deer hunting season here. Dan insists I wear the dreaded orange vest when I am out walking. I tried fitting Millie with one, but she didn't care for the affair at all! :~) That pie looks delicious, and your meringue looks perfect!

Debbie Harris said...

Your pie looks absolutely delicious and perfectly made with with your hands.

That is one big bees nest, even what's left of it, amazing!

I always enjoy my visits with you ♡

Granny Marigold said...

Your Lemon pie looks picture perfect and no doubt tasted wonderful
( with a cup of freshly brewed decaf coffee perhaps?) Maybe you're not a coffee person.
Deer hunting season would make me nervous. I hope "your" deer stay safe and you yourself too!!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

That pie looks delicious. You should have invited me round for a piece. Or alternatively, put a piece near your computer for me to taste.

God bless.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Pretty scenes from your walk. I hope you and Ki the dog become friends. The pie looks yummy. I hope the deer stay safe from the hunters. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ahead.

Sue said...

Your photos are spectacular, even the frost is so noticeable, and that pie looks like perfection, Karen!
I am back to regular walking, thanks to your motivation and cooler weather. I am now getting in 3 to 4 miles 5 days a week.

You and Ken have to be in perfect physical condition, so inspiring,

have a great day,
Blessings,
Sue

Bill said...

I imagine it is the weather that broke down the nest. Frost on the ground, chilly mornings and beautiful photos. I hope you can become friends with Ki, My wife said they should of named him Ku, then you could greet him with Hi Ku. :).
Your new header is really pretty.
Enjoy your day!

William Kendall said...

The pie is tempting!

Adam said...

The pie looks good

Debby Ray said...

I want that lemon pie...my fave!!

ellen b. said...

That's funny about that little yappy dog. The photo of that part of the road is beautiful with it's fall colors on. That pie is a work of art and makes my mouth water. Happy new week to you!

Retired Knitter said...

That is one beautiful pie!!