Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Soap suds

📌     📌
Comment Replies:
Connie - No, I never ate zucchini blossoms, it never occurred to me that you could. 😊

Karen - No, I never had a paying job outside the home.  I was a stay at home mom and was the one who always helped the teacher out.  I did work in the school library when my kids were young but it was as a volunteer.  I also delivered Meals On Wheels  and was the route chairperson for 15 years.
📌     📌
Another morning when the temperature was 49 degrees and it stayed pretty
cool all day long.  Mostly cloudy on my walk but did see a little sun too.

Walked the Farm Loop.
Farmer Bill was out and I stopped to talk to him for a bit.

I saw that stuff that looks like soap suds on some plants along the side of
the road again.  I tried to find out what it is and I think it is made by Spittle bugs.
Though this seems bigger and denser than what I could find on line.
 I also spotted this dead snapping turtle on the side of the road up in the
grass a little way.  At first I thought it got hit by a car but it looks like
it died right there while laying eggs because you can see an egg.
Looks like someone smashed it.  Poor thing.
 Once I got back to town I saw Kathy and walked a little way with her.

Walked 6.4 miles
🐢     🐢
I stayed home again while Ken went up to Happy Trails.
I baked another batch of chocolate chippers for Bible Time,
that's 10 dozen now.  Half way there.

Finished up my house cleaning, at least for this week.
It never really gets done.

A happy day to you.
happyone  🎈

"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart."
~ Khalil Gibran

17 comments:

Michelle said...

You are right, house cleaning is never truly finished. As a teacher I can tell you that volunteers are appreciated more than you could ever know.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

The turtle issue is both sad and odd. The foamy white stuff odder yet.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a shame about the turtle.
You are right about house cleaning, it's never really finished is it - but does need doing!

You're doing well with your chocolate chippers ...

All the best Jan

Ruth Hiebert said...

I really like that cloud shot. I find the sky so filled with interning scenes.All it takes is a few clouds and the beauty begins.

The Furry Gnome said...

Always feel so badly for the turtles who get hit on the road. They cross so slowly, trying to find a place to lay their eggs.

Adam said...

poor turtle, people are cruel

Tom said...

...sometimes I see white foam that farmers use as a marker from the end of their spray rig. I was in the mountains over the weekend and show several turtle eggs laid along the side of the road, turtle may not be the smartest critters.

Christine said...

What a beautiful sky!
Sorry about that poor turtle.

Cat Lover said...

Lovely sky photo Karen. I have seen "spit" on plants too but never that much! Yech!
Poor turtle, why do people have to be so cruel??
We were at 50 degrees this morning too, makes for nice walking.
Take care.
Robin

Aritha V. said...

Poor turtle! But I like your sky photo and I LOVE to see such a large foam nest. I think it's made by a meadow spittlebug (Philaenus spumarius).

Breathing In Grace said...

You have more energy than anybody I know! Poor little turtle....so very sad. It scares me when I see them crossing the road and can't get to them to help them out. :( The sky photos are always so awesome...I love sky pics. Question?!? Speaking of energy....do you happen to take any supplements. I don't take any prescription drugs, but do take several supplements (when I can think of it)....so I was wondering if you had a recommendation for something for energy/stress/thyroid?!?!?

Debby Ray said...

What a glorious sky photo! I love days where the sun filters through the clouds. Poor little turtle :( I always enjoy hearing about your day :D

Happy@Home said...

Wow, what an awesome photo of the sky!
You saw some interesting things on your walk. The thought of the turtle dying after laying her egg is so sad. Poor thing. We spotted a dead squirrel on our front lawn the other night. We were wondering whether it was hit by a car and then someone tossed it there or whether it died on the spot.
Great job on those cookies.

Rose said...

That first shot is awesome...I have never seen spittle bugs leave that much either...wonder if there is more than one under it all? If you ever find out, I hope to see the results.

Good for you for staying home/helping others. I stayed home till my children were in school...I started out working in the fall at the orchard...I could work around the schedule of getting them to school and being home before they got here. I also had a part time job at a bakery...again, I could work around my kids in school. Plus, like you, I volunteered for library and other stuff at school.

Then when I started working year round at the orchard, in the summer the kids went with me and played with their grand kids...

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Poor turtle, how sad. I've never seen anything like the foam before xx

Inger said...

How sad about the turtle. The clouds are gorgeous though. I love clouds. There were few clouds in Los Angeles, for some reason, and I was so happy to find so many clouds here in the mountains when we moved.

Pom Pom said...

Thank you for answering my question, Karen!
Sad about the turtle.
Good job getting the baking done little by little.