Walking is the perfect way of moving if you want to see into the life of things. It is the one way of freedom. If you go to a place on anything but your own feet you are taken there too fast, and miss a thousand delicate joys that were waiting for you by the wayside. Elizabeth von Arnim

Translate

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Tree with thorns

🍁     🍁     🍁     🍁
40 degrees this morning, dark at first and it was nice to finally see the sun.

Walked around town by the street lights when it was really dark 
and then headed up Sale Barn Road once the sky got that morning glow.

The sun was just starting to shine on the mountain but I was up here a bit
too early to really see it at its best.
It is quite a trek up the road and today I walked all the way to the top.
Walked to where you can see the end of the road.
Don't go around that last bend up there because 2 mean dogs live
around the bend and sometimes they are running free.
Also walked down toward HT before turning around and getting back to town.
Continued around one of the cemeteries before heading home.
No people around this morning.
Just waved to the usual people who wave to me as they drive past me.

Walked 6 miles
🍁     🍁     🍁     🍁
Ken headed up to Happy Trails after breakfast and I stayed home 
to get my house chores done. 

He came home for lunch and after lunch I went back up to HT with him
to continue cutting back the brush and trees along the lane on the edge of
HT leading to the driveway.

There are some trees up at HT with some pretty big thorns on them.
Ken cut one down today and here is a branch showing the thorns.
Does anyone know that kind of tree this is?
 After supper we headed out to Walmart to get our shopping done.
Stopped to pick up some more bird seed too at Tractor Supply.

A happy day to you.
happyone  🎈

"You're only given a little madness.
You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams
Comment replies:
Kim - yes, they are just like red velvet cake.  I've found iHop's recipe on line and will try making them myself one of these days.

Felicia - No, I live in Maryland but in the most northern, western part of the state in Garrett County that you can get and still be in MD.

15 comments:

Michelle said...

I have to say that I don't know what that tree is.

Melanie said...

No idea about the tree but those thorns look menacing. I admire you to get up when it' chilly and dark to walk. Have a good evening.

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

I don't know what the tree is, but it looks interesting. Thorns like blackberry bushes.

Adam said...

"You're only given a little madness.
You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams

Charles Manson got an overdose

The Furry Gnome said...

I wonder if it's a Honey Locust, but I don't know if it would grow down there.

Prunella Pepperpot said...

What a wonderful sky. So sad that you can't go further on your walk because of the dogs. I own dogs but can still feel very frightened by some and I too would have not gone any further.
Sorry I haven't been online so much lately so many things to do, washing, ironing, cooking, the list goes on! Have a wonderful week :)x

Christine said...

That was a lovely sky to see. Each season has its own special moments.
I've encountered a few mean dogs too so I would avoid that part of the road too.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

They are very big thorns, ouch! What a shame that the dogs are left to run around and frighten people, I'm glad it didn't spoil your walk xx

John's Island said...

I continue to enjoy the pictures you take on your walks. Today I'm starting week #4 of a daily walk. I only go about 1/3 of your usual walk, but I'm already feeling the benefits ... it just improves my overall outlook. I hope I can keep going through the winter! One thing I learned from you is that I should use a little device to keep track of how far I'm walking and how long it takes. For anyone considering this kind of activity, that is a great motivator!

Kerin said...

Nice walk. Love the second picture, with the rolling lane.

I've seen shrubbry/trees like that though I'm not sure what they are called. Do you have and extension service nearby?

Have a great day!

~K.

Cat Lover said...

I have no idea what kind of tree that is. Very lethal looking thorns!
Good plan to avoid walking where there are mean dogs. We have experienced that too.

Happy@Home said...

I'll be interested to see if you try the red velvet pancakes and how they compare.
I'm not able to help you identify the tree either. They look like the thorns on a rose bush. I've never seen a tree with thorns like that.

Marianna said...

I'm wondering if the tree is a Hawthorn. Does it put out fruit? The extension agent or master gardeners in your county would definitely know.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such lovely photo's again and the sky in your first one is a gorgeous colour.

All the best Jan

Breathing In Grace said...

Oh, that first pic is gorgeous! Please stay safe walking in the dark. (Sorry, but I'm an old mother hen...LOL)